Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Troubleshooting PS3 video issue - no output via HDMI

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

The issue: No video from the PS3 via HDMI. The PS3 itself has been confirmed to be fine by both a repair shop and on my other TV. The HDMI cable and HDMI port on the TV are both fine because they work with the Xbox.

Something HAS to be broken, but I don't know what it is! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In the interest of thoroughness (and also to put my thoughts in order and confirm for myself that I haven't missed something obvious), I've listed out all the steps I've taken so far to troubleshoot this. Thank you in advance to anybody with the patience to read through this and respond.

My wife was watching Netflix on our PS3 (fat, 80GB) when the screen went black. The PS3 was connected via HDMI through my receiver to my TV.

• I turned the PS3 off and on several times, including holding the power button to reset the video.

At this point, the LED on the front of the console is green, but there is no video. When I turn on the PS3, I see a brief flash of green on the screen, and then nothing.

• Switching inputs on the receiver, I see that my Xbox is also failing to output video.
    • I've had trouble with the receiver's HDMI outputs in the past, so I disconnect both consoles and connect them directly to the TV via HDMI. The Xbox works fine now, but the PS3 still won't output video.
    • I switch to a spare HDMI cable and use a different HDMI input on the TV - same issue.
    • Reading online that removing the HDD will, at the very least, generate a prompt that storage is unavailable, I try that - still no video.

I take the PS3 to a local computer/console repair shop and explain the issue. Lucky for me, they do diagnostics for free, because the lady says the PS3 started up fine for them. She proceeds to explain how to reset the video, and when I tell her I've tried that, she offers to check my HDMI cable if I want to bring it back in. Sigh.

• Back at the house, I rummage through the attic for the composite cables that came with the PS3, and hook it up to the TV with those. Success!
    • I attempt to change the connection to HDMI. Following the prompt on screen, I switch the source on the TV...........and still nothing. I turn the PS3 off and back on, reset the video a couple more times, and still can't get anything on screen. The composite connection, however, works fine.
    • Do I have TWO bad HDMI cables? Stranger things have happened, I suppose, so I use the one from the Xbox, also changing to the TV input that has been working. I still get the same issue.

I dig behind the TV and get everything disconnected, then go down to the basement to try my other TV - something I probably should have done MUCH earlier in this process.

• I connect with the composite cables, change the input to HDMI, switch sources on the TV, and bingo! It works just like I would have expected it to.
    • With the console now set to use HDMI, I take it back upstairs and reconnect it - still nothing on my primary TV. So.... a bad HDMI port on the TV?
    • Nope! Because the Xbox has been working all along, and when I switch the cable back to the Xbox and turn it on - it still works fine.

Oh, and the best part of all? Once I finally get the PS3 working, I'll get to do all this over again when I reconnect the receiver to see if it was even part of the issue to begin with!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe the tv HDMI output is set to another , say for example 720p , and you left the PS3 in 1080p .... you have to set the correct resolution on the PS3 or perhaps change you tv´s resolution to match the PS3? I say this may be the case because the xbox does dispaly regardless of the resolution you set.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thought - and that was actually the last thing I tried before I posted, just in case. I wasn't sure if my old-ass TV would take a 1080p input, so I did take the PS3 back downstairs and set it to 720p. Weirdly, the "info" display on the TV seems to recognize that it's getting a 720p signal, but there's still no picture. I'll fiddle with the TV settings to be sure I didn't miss anything in there, but I'm pretty confident there's nothing there to force one of the HDMI inputs to a certain resolution.

This is probably what I get for ooh-ing and aah-ing at the 4k TVs at Costco.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@baconhound: Hmmmm well hope you can find the solution duder :/ sometimes tech does funny stuuf that is incomprehensible.... maybe indeed was yout tv´s jelousy of the 4 k tvs :P (damn you skynet , you arent supposed to happen yet!!!)

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This happened to my television and it was the HDCP on my TV going out. This will cause no signal from the PS3 but the XBox 360 will work fine with the exception of DVDs and Netflix. One way to confirm it is, in fact, HDCP (high definition copy protection) getting scrambled or whatever is that when you start your Xbox 360, start up a DVD or Netflix and it should just pop up with a white Xbox logo and say HDCP issue or some message like that.

The solution? Glug. I had to get a new TV.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@torrim: Thanks for the info! We were watching Netflix fine last night, but I tried a DVD, and sure enough - I got a little 'achievement unlocked' style pop-up saying "Secure HDCP link not found." Weird that Neflix still works on the Xbox, but I suppose this could help to explain why the problem initially started with Netflix on the PS3.

New TV, huh? The current one is relatively long in the tooth, and it's the old DLP style projection, so it's bulky. It doesn't exactly break my heart that I may need to buy a new TV, but I suppose I still need to do my due diligence and confirm your solution. :) To Google!

Thanks again for the information!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.