Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Upgrade from a 60gb launch PS3 to a new Slim?

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This thing still totally works but is LOUD AS HELL. It's in my bedroom, and I actually had to move it last night because the wife's head hurt and the controller noises (clicking from buttons, etc) was too loud.

Anyhow. Title has it all. Is it worth it (any performance improvements/general noise improvements) to trade it my old-ass PS3, drop $150, and get a new one?

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Same happened to me after about 5 years with the system. Slim is MUCH quieter. Just be aware you'll lose backwards compatibility if you still rock out PS2 games.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stepside said:

Same happened to me after about 5 years with the system. Slim is MUCH quieter. Just be aware you'll lose backwards compatibility if you still rock out PS2 games.

The reason I had a 60gb was Persona 4. And, well.. it's on my Vita. I'm just unsure if the cost to upgrade is worth a quieter PS3, since it'll be something like $150 to do the upgrade.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@theimmortalbum: how's that gonna fix your issue of the button clicking sounds though? =p

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jazzycola

I have to think that the PS3 will get a price drop near or around the time of Gamescom (if not then probably around the time of the PS4 release). On black friday, I'd bet you'd be able to get a new ps3 with 2-3 games bundled with it for 199 or less. I got my new PS3 slim 2 years ago during black friday for 199 with 2 games(Little Big Planet 2 and the co-op ratchet game). So, I say wait and see.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theimmortalbum

I have to think that the PS3 will get a price drop near or around the time of Gamescom (if not then probably around the time of the PS4 release). On black friday, I'd bet you'd be able to get a new ps3 with 2-3 games bundled with it for 199 or less. I got my new PS3 slim 2 years ago during black friday for 199 with 2 games(Little Big Planet 2 and the co-op ratchet game). So, I say wait and see.

I'll be picking up a PS4. The system still works fine, I'm just trying to justify spending $150 (or more) now for a quieter system.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jazzycola

@theimmortalbum said:

@jazzycola said:

I'll be picking up a PS4. The system still works fine, I'm just trying to justify spending $150 (or more) now for a quieter system.

Oh I know, I'm just saying that if you want to replace it that you can get a pretty good deal on one in a month or two. I say if you want to replace it after the PS4 do it, but I don't see a reason for a trade-in and buy a new one at 150 bucks. I have an 80 gig that is loud as hell when just watching netflix(it's a dedicated netflix player since the blu-ray drive broke on it).

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theimmortalbum said:

@jazzycola said:

Oh I know, I'm just saying that if you want to replace it that you can get a pretty good deal on one in a month or two. I say if you want to replace it after the PS4 do it, but I don't see a reason for a trade-in at 150 bucks. I have an 80 gig that is loud as hell when just watching netflix(it's a dedicated netflix player since the blu-ray drive broke on it).

Yeah that's kinda where I figured I'd end up at. It works fine, the noise itself doesn't seem to bother the wife, so. I don't know. I wish I could mute the controller somehow, make it not quite as clicky when the sticks hit the edges and the like.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When my 60gb broke I went down sort of a ps3 hardware research rabbit hole, which has led me to understand that the original models are all running on borrowed time at this point. So yes you should buy a new one, but as everyone said, those consoles are still really expensive, so I bet they'll get a price drop soon. Or at least some sort of cool bundle around the holidays, so if you can hold out til then, you should.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.