Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

What do you think about the new Playstation Store?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

The Playstation Store has launched in certain territories, do you like it?

I like it, it has a nice first impression. It looks like it has soul now, before it was basically a bunch of box's that somebody made in an office document. Now there are nice pieces of game artwork everywhere, not just for new releases but i saw a Solid Snake in there too.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zels

@Hizang said:

The Playstation Store has launched in certain territories, do you like it?

Is it out in the EU region?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

@zels: Yup.

Well the UK, not sure about any other places.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

Form over function.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zels

@Hizang said:

@zels: Yup.

Well the UK, not sure about any other places.

I've just checked it out. Quite nice overall. Still can't understand why "Latest" isn't called "New Releases" and why there aren't "top rated" and "top selling" sections (is it combined into "top games?", well it should be separate). I don't like how the "O" button brings you back to the previous screen and not back to the menu.

Anyway, it's much better than the previous version.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Grissefar

It sucks pretty much a giant dick.

It crashed 4 times, in 4 different ways before it finally worked, then I tried to download a demo. It took a million clicks going through a bunch of steps of adding it to the cart, adding $0 to my account, reviewing my transaction and all kinds of shit before I finally thought it was done and downloading. Turns out, I also had to go to my download list to actually download it.

It was one of the biggest shits I ever took.

Also, with an ad filling half the screen, it can be very awkward to browse a two row menu.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Freshbandito

I hate it, like an actual seething cauldron of disgust for the new layout, it seems to take a noticable amount of time for your brain to even process the information buried within the awful 'my first graphic design' looking backdrop and layout. I actively hate it and want the old one back dammit!

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By damnboyadvance

It looks beautiful, but that's about it for the good stuff. It's extremely frustrating just to go through and download anything, even the free stuff. You have to go through at least 3 menus to purchase something, even the free stuff.

I also hate how it doesn't load as quickly. Before, the Playstation Store would load in about 5 seconds, and you could exit the store just as quickly. Now, it takes about 20-30 seconds to load the store, and just as long to exit it.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

Well, as of now, nothing comes on. It opens, does the the sound thing and then....nothing. If it works, and I press the downloads/search/store it tells me that I have no connection (when I go to search) and just doesnt work for the rest.

I was really looking forward to the new store, especially towards an updated PS+ menu, but as of now I am really disappointed.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jgf

I like it. It looks much nicer now. They can still improve some categories and menus, but in all its a step in the right direction. But from where they came from any step would have been in the right direction... Now they should focus on timely releases *cough* cs go *cough*

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By UncleDisco

@damnboyadvance said:

It looks beautiful, but that's about it for the good stuff. It's extremely frustrating just to go through and download anything, even the free stuff. You have to go through at least 3 menus to purchase something, even the free stuff.

I also hate how it doesn't load as quickly. Before, the Playstation Store would load in about 5 seconds, and you could exit the store just as quickly. Now, it takes about 20-30 seconds to load the store, and just as long to exit it.

Pretty much this.... Oh and the search is way better than the old version, which is nice.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I think it's a pain to use. I hate how I have to go through a couple more steps just to get something to download in the background. (unless i'm missing something?)

surferz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By surferz

I like the look and the new interface, but it really needs to up it's performance. Moving up and down has a noticeable delay.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

Well... I only played with it for a few minutes but my impression is its a bit worse version of the 360 dashboard. Some of it felt a bit clunky the way it transitions from menus and screens. The look is an improvement but the functions need refining compared to the previous store design.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By ThunderSlash

It looks nice, but it feels a bit laggy. Also, I don't think there is a good way to navigate to a game's page now without using the search function. Unless I'm being dumb and missed something.

Edit: It would be nice if there is a "Stuff I own" section, with all the stuff I've purchased in a nicely organized list like how Steam does it.

Avatar image for commander_crichton
    Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a trailer for Most Wanted on the Borderlands 2 page. Other than having little oddities like that, the store is much nicer looking but way too fucking slow.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zekhariah

It seems a bit better overall, download management in particular seems better. The presentation is very web 2.0, and in this case the overall thing is more navigable.

Load times for pages is bad, but that seems to be an issue with the wifi hardware in the model I have (maybe the slims fixed that?). This improves a lot when it is connected via ethernet. But, it still feels like web-browsing on an old atom netbook (not as bad as the last xbox360 dash though).

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Looks better, but it didn't take much for that too be true. There's a nice upgrade to search but beyond that it's not they didn't fix the weird frustrations I've always had. I wish I can explain it, but I just can't think of how. Still prefer using the 360 XBL store. Though I mainly just search nowadays on that as well. Wonder if the vita store will get an update anytime soon.

DaMaJaDiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaMaJaDiZ

It's a bit of a nightmare to search actually. I gave myself a mission of finding all of the sleeping dog dlc by search, and then by menu navigation and I ran into so many dead ends it became frustrating. Why on earth they broke all of the dlc into subcategories that are completely subjective on a game to game basis is beyond me. Finding a page with all of the titles purchasable items was crazy difficult. The search function wasn't any better. Neither the main game, nor the dlc were there. There wasn't an apparent filter between movies and games from step one. And there are extra steps for purchases for no apparent reason, even the free stuff. What used to be a fairly painless method for accessing content has been replaced with a obtuse and bloated mess that is not at all enjoyable to navigate. The video previews for games did work quite nicely though. I'll concede that much.

It might look pretty, but it's five steps backwards in functionality, speed and usability. And personally, I would like the option for a 'lite' version, if not the old one back.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By billyhoush

I'm even more confused. As long as it still has a search function. I usually use the ingame store managers for DLC.

RoBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RoBear

I only very briefly checked it out just to search for GGXXAC+ to see if it was out on psn in NA yet. First impressions aren't good, it ran very slowly and the search function is asinine. They give you a long scroll wheel of letters so you have to scroll through the whole thing to type a word out. It's like going from touch tone phones back to rotary. Smooth.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ScreamingGhost

I'll get accustomed to it but it feels bloated and cumbersome. The old store had a simple direct feeling to it but its not like there's any going back now though. Downloading even free stuff is a pain now takes 3 or 4 menus before getting to download. I love my PS3 but this update is the last thing that was necessary.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kerned

I have only had to use it twice so far, but oh boy do I dislike it. What's the deal with Sony following MS down this road? Is there a shitty interface design illuminati out there trying to ruin my day?

weavminas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By weavminas

My first reaction was confusion and anger at this slow thing that I'm not familiar with. My second impulse was to craft a well planned rant on how bad and useless it is. As I was testing my arguments I started to understand the choices that were made. As I found the ways to find what I was looking for I began to question my earlier rage.

Then I tried the "Search" function.

I stand by my initial disgust. It's slow, unnecessary, and has a learning curve. However shallow a curve, it's a store and I shouldn't need a tutorial to by shit.

Positives? The new store is pretty. Since I wasn't planning on using the store after the Borderlands 2 season pass, I'll trade my anger for apathy.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fawkes

Sony has gone from having the best store to having the worst store. This feels like something that was made for a tablet or cell phone. If they had ported the store from the Vita to the PS3 instead it would have been better than this.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't know what you guys are talking about.  The new store is significantly faster and more streamlined with this new Skyrim-esque menu.  The only issue I have with it is how many steps there are to the actual purchasing process.  I feel like it warns me that I'm about to buy something about six times before it lets me buy, and then it waits on me to start the download for some reason.  Other than that, it's just a matter of some minor acclimation.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikey87144

@Spoonman671 said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The new store is significantly faster and more streamlined with this new Skyrim-esque menu. The only issue I have with it is how many steps there are to the actual purchasing process. I feel like it warns me that I'm about to buy something about six times before it lets me buy, and then it waits on me to start the download for some reason. Other than that, it's just a matter of some minor acclimation.

The more I use it that has become my biggest issue. There should be a button next to each game that lets you buy and download the game in, maximum, two steps. Other than that I've grown to like it. It accomplishes what they wanted, successful titles stick out more and more content is visible on screen.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By RobotHamster

Just got it the other day, I'm definitely liking the look of it. It just takes a litter longer to get to stuff.

zerostasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zerostasis

@RobotHamster said:

Just got it the other day, I'm definitely liking the look of it. It just takes a litter longer to get to stuff.

Same here. The interface is nice and sleek and all but the layout seems a bit nested in. Though not as nested as the previous one. Loading takes so much time especially when it loads images on the background for the featured games. Though this only happens when my shitty net connection is congested.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Kierkegaard

I like how it uses space much better than the old one. I found search and the huge scrolling (not paginated) results really easy to understand and useful. There's something cool about putting in oldest to newest and seeing the progression of PSN from 2006. Downloading ACIII seemed fine. Also liked the streaming videos like a real website thing. Happy with it from minimal use.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By DarthOrange

It feels way too slow but being able to stream any trailer before you buy a game is awesome and leads to you being able to brows and impulse buy more easily. Id say it takes five steps forward and two steps back from the old version. Some things are way better, while others way worse.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Sooty

The new store sucks, the search is cumbersome, it doesn't work on remote play and it takes over twice as long to launch.

I wish they'd stop trying to fix stuff that is not broken. On the Vita, it uses a store similar to the 'old' PS3 store, and it's far better.

People saying it's easier to navigate are absolutely crazy or can't have used the old store, I cannot relate at all to such claims.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rainbowkisses

It looks nice but it certainly has problems. The noise it makes when you select something is horrible, pages take too long to load, and downloading things feels unintuitive.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cold_Wolven

It's okay but the initial loading into the store takes awhile last time I checked.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Whenever I use the new store, I think, "The Gran Turismo 5 is strong in this one."

Burrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Burrich

I like the PC store but hate the new store on PSN. The search is good but overall the store is slow and very much style over substance. Also I really wish that the games were grouped in more ways. The US store is much better than the EU store in this regard.

Still I guess I like the fact that PS+ stuff is so easy to access.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NiKva

It looks nice, but its a bit confusing to navigate.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By primalmaster

I don't hate it as much anymore, now that I know where a lot of stuff is. But it's still a little sluggish. I do like the way the new search function works though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.