Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

When did we get BC?

GonzoGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GonzoGuy

I saw something in the addons section of PSN store that said it allows the ps3 to run ps2 software.
    When did this happen?
    I didn't try it as we're in the middle of LBP and a few others (not to mention my ps2 still works) but I know some guys who might actually get a ps3 now if this really instates full BC.
    If not, anyone know the percentage?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's only for some PS3's. Really old ones already have full BC, old ones need that download and will only run some games, new PS3's have no BC.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AaronBelfast

The only SKUs that have BC is the 20gb, 60gb and one version of the 80gb. The 40gb SKU does not have BC, and unfortunately its the only version currently on the market.

GonzoGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GonzoGuy

Okay.
    So only the older models can use that download?

Thats too bad.

Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Exlutonian

Seems strange and silly too me. That they all do PS1 games but not PS2, which a lot of people still have games for.

But then I don't have experiance with the business and financial side of things and I don't know what hardware limitations they came across.

So i'll just be quiet and thankful for what I do have.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Exlutonian said:
    "Seems strange and silly too me. That they all do PS1 games but not PS2, which a lot of people still have games for.

But then I don't have experiance with the business and financial side of things and I don't know what hardware limitations they came across.

So i'll just be quiet and thankful for what I do have."
    From what I understand, PS1 games are easy to emulate, they can just bung in one standard emulator into the PS3, and it'll run all PS1 game satisfactorily. The PS2 isn't as simple. To fix this, they basically built the PS2 hardware into the PS3, and used that to run the PS2 games. They called this the emotion engine. They removed this from later models but still included something else (can't remember what it was called) to allow partial compatibility, using emulation as well. The newest PS3's removed this other thing too, leaving the current emulation useless.
    GonzoGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GonzoGuy

I'm pretty sure they could easily implement an emulator or something like that (even just cramming the ps2 chips in there) but it would probably easily play pirated games. I bet we'll see an emulator once they stop making PS2 games and selling tons of PS2s. 
    That's why it surprised me to see one now.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's not as easy to just "implement an emulator" for the PS2. It's not like older systems, it's allot harder to do. It would need to be like the xbox 360's BC emulation, which works on a game by game basis, each game has it's own emulation profile, which has different data and such. And that would take allot of effort considering the size of the PS2 library.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili
    MattyFTM said:
    "It's not as easy to just "implement an emulator" for the PS2. It's not like older systems, it's allot harder to do. It would need to be like the xbox 360's BC emulation, which works on a game by game basis, each game has it's own emulation profile, which has different data and such. And that would take allot of effort considering the size of the PS2 library."
    But its an effort that is ultimately worth it.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By PufferFiz

people complained that the system cost to much so guess what got cut.. BC.

really think it should be in there. yesterday i watched  a man ask if his sons ps2 games would work on the ps3 and the guy said no.
    the point is that people are just now starting to buy ps3's and there are welcomed to a system that cant play the old ones.

launch ps3 FTW! :]

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By jangofett88
    chililili said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "It's not as easy to just "implement an emulator" for the PS2. It's not like older systems, it's allot harder to do. It would need to be like the xbox 360's BC emulation, which works on a game by game basis, each game has it's own emulation profile, which has different data and such. And that would take allot of effort considering the size of the PS2 library."
    But its an effort that is ultimately worth it."
    True, but paying a team to do that for the PS2's massive library might cost almost as much as slapping the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer on the PS3 in the first place. Maybe later down the road when they break even on each system sold they may look back into it because with a library that big, I could see their own equivalent of Xbox Originals being so much more meaningful and a major selling point for the system.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

I got the 60 gig version back in the day and that has full BC. For the first year I was using the PS3 as a blue ray player and PS2 with internet functions since there wasn't much good games out for it. It wasn't until this year, that I actually bought PS3 games for it since I was just killing off my back catalog of PS2 games I never played.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By KillaMaStA

I still think that the no BC stuff is all part of sonys "The ps2 is Still Alive!"  crap
    Luckily, i have an old 60gb console

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hexpane
    GonzoGuy said:
    "I'm pretty sure they could easily implement an emulator or something like that (even just cramming the ps2 chips in there) but it would probably easily play pirated games. I bet we'll see an emulator once they stop making PS2 games and selling tons of PS2s. 
    That's why it surprised me to see one now."
    You did not see an emulator for PS2 on the PSN, it does not exist.  What you saw was the "system configuration" file which was needed for certain PS2 online games like SOCOM 2.

It is not easy to make a PS2 emulator, and quite frankly the PS3 is not powerful enough to run one w/o the hardware.  Top of the line PCs can barely run many PS2 games in emulator mode, the chip design in the PS2 was a bit odd.

I have a 60gb w/ the hardware EMU, and it's not that good.  PS2 games look best when run on a PS2 via component cables.  PS2 games using PS3 BC get slightly less detail no matter what mode you use, also the PS3 induces some lag. 

it stinks compared to what Sony promised (99% BC for every sony console forever!)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.