Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Why do shooters seem to struggle on the PS3

• 134 results
    AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By AngelKore
    @Manatassi said:

@AngelKore said:

" They don't? Kinda weird how your poll only goes one way.  I'm just used to the PS3's analogue sticks when it comes to shooters. I went over to my mates house and played his 360, and found it almost impossible to play MW2 successfully. The sticks just have too much of a high dead zone compared to the PS3, IMO. "

actually thats a fair point there should be a they don't option for the balance of the poll. however its absence is a little understandable as sales of shooters on the PS3 are far below those on the 360. Take MW2 and its sales for example, the 360 version is hugely outselling the PS3.   Obviously there is a preference toward people playing shooters on the 360 its silly to argue otherwise, and from the results of the poll obviously there are a percentage of people who prefer the 360 controller for shooters. You may have found the 360 controller "almost impossible" to use but since you clearly don't own both consoles you will have your muscle memory trained for the PS3 controller on MW2. Common sense is going to dictate that another controller will feel odd to you if you are used to only playing on the PS3.  I have both consoles and after years of playing shooters with both consoles I find the PS3 controller really does not suit FPS that well. Weirdly I didn't have a problem with Uncharted 2, but other shooters have simply felt too loose and imprecise. Perhaps its something developers need to adjust for and I'm sure if I had smaller hands it might help as my hands tend to cramp a bit after extended play with the PS3. Apart from the D-Pad the 360 controller just feels better designed and fits my hands more comfortably and from the general consensus I have seen I'm not in the minority.  In the end it comes down to whatever suits you best and feels comfortable. Judging from sales and general reception however arguing that the 360 controller is "almost impossible" to use or "the worst since the N64" is simply fanboyish nonsense.  "
    Yes, true, I should have clarified that I only own a PS3. Though, I did own an original Xbox, and frequently played shooters on that as well. I'm not sure if they are exactly akin to the 360's current controller, but I still do prefer the PS3's looseness over it's tighter controls. Again, my opinion. I like to have the sensetivity up quite a bit on my PC, as well, so that might count for something. 

We should just agree that PC controls are superior and leave it at that. I can't remember how many times I missed on school because my hand was injured during UT 99' games with mates. :D
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By ViciousReiven

My personal reasons:
    First reason is online service, XBL is faster and the menu system on the 360 is more user friendly allowing quicker setup of matches.
    Second, controller, the size, shape, analog placement, analog tightness, and triggers all feel much better when playing a shooter.
    Third, the PS3 doesn't come with a headset.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By AgentofChaos

Without trying to bash the PS3 I just prefer the 360 controller layout. I expect many here have the same sentiments.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ViciousReiven said:
    "  My personal reasons:First reason is online service, XBL is faster and the menu system on the 360 is more user friendly allowing quicker setup of matches. Second, controller, the size, shape, analog placement, analog tightness, and triggers all feel much better when playing a shooter. Third, the PS3 doesn't come with a headset. "
    ps3 headsets? that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.  
    thats like saying shooters struggle on 360 because it doesn't come with built wi-fi
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @TwoOneFive: I don't play shooters without teamchat, I did say 'personal reasons'.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ViciousReiven said:

" @TwoOneFive: I don't play shooters without teamchat, I did say 'personal reasons'. "

every online game on ps3 has team chat. 
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @ViciousReiven said:

" @TwoOneFive: I don't play shooters without teamchat, I did say 'personal reasons'. "

every online game on ps3 has team chat.  "
    You can't chat without a headset... and it doesn't come with one, see the issue?
    PolyesterPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By PolyesterPimp

Controller. Anyone know where I can get a PS3 controllers insides on a Xbox360's shell? Thats the only reason I havent jumped into PS3 shooters the sticks feel flimsy and the placement of them is terrible.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ViciousReiven said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " @ViciousReiven said:

every online game on ps3 has team chat.  "
    You can't chat without a headset... and it doesn't come with one, see the issue? "
    a lot of people need/want to use wi-fi, 360 doesnt have it built-in, see the issue? 
    a lot of people bought the standard console too, and then had to fork out money for the hard drive.  
    everyone who owns a cell phone probably has a headset, and anyone who owns a pc probably has a usb mic.  
    people are always using mics on ps3 anyways,  
    mics can't possibly be a reason ps3 shooters struggle.  
    besides they dont struggle at all anyways. 
    killzone 2, metal gear solid 4, uncharted 2, resistance 2 etc etc etc say this thread is fucking stupid. 
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By sopranosfan

I wish I could edit the title of this thread to "Why don't shooters sell well on the PS3".  It seems like every time one of my posts explaining what I meant gets a page or 2 back everybody assumes I was bashing the PS3 and that is not the case I am watching a Blu-Ray on my PS3 as I am typing.  I was wondering why shooters sell better on the 360 than the PS3.  I even stated that I think the Resistance games and KZ2 are superior to some better selling 360 games and that even though worldwide the PS3 has basically caught up in sales multiplatform shooters still sell quite a bit better on the 360 and was wondering why.  When I am trying to decide which platform to buy a shooter on for me it usually comes down to the amount of friends I have on the 360 and the controller and that is why I usually choose to purchase shooters on the 360.  But to all of you saying that shooters don't struggle on the PS3 and I should have included that option.  Shooters do not sell as well on the PS3 as the 360 so there was no reason to put an option saying they do.  I posted a couple of pages back the sales numbers to show that sales wise they don't.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By copycatzen
    @sopranosfan said:

"I wish I could edit the title of this thread to "Why don't shooters sell well on the PS3".  It seems like every time one of my posts explaining what I meant gets a page or 2 back everybody assumes I was bashing the PS3 and that is not the case I am watching a Blu-Ray on my PS3 as I am typing.  I was wondering why shooters sell better on the 360 than the PS3.  I even stated that I think the Resistance games and KZ2 are superior to some better selling 360 games and that even though worldwide the PS3 has basically caught up in sales multiplatform shooters still sell quite a bit better on the 360 and was wondering why.  When I am trying to decide which platform to buy a shooter on for me it usually comes down to the amount of friends I have on the 360 and the controller and that is why I usually choose to purchase shooters on the 360.  But to all of you saying that shooters don't struggle on the PS3 and I should have included that option.  Shooters do not sell as well on the PS3 as the 360 so there was no reason to put an option saying they do.  I posted a couple of pages back the sales numbers to show that sales wise they don't. "

Yes, the tilte is not the best for what you were looking for.... but I think the main issue is the narrow options that you provided.... thats what makes people say "WFT is wrong with this guy?"

So I agree with  this guy below.

@TwoOneFive said:

"this thread is fucking stupid.  "

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By sopranosfan

@copycatzen said:
    " @sopranosfan said:

"I wish I could edit the title of this thread to "Why don't shooters sell well on the PS3".  It seems like every time one of my posts explaining what I meant gets a page or 2 back everybody assumes I was bashing the PS3 and that is not the case I am watching a Blu-Ray on my PS3 as I am typing.  I was wondering why shooters sell better on the 360 than the PS3.  I even stated that I think the Resistance games and KZ2 are superior to some better selling 360 games and that even though worldwide the PS3 has basically caught up in sales multiplatform shooters still sell quite a bit better on the 360 and was wondering why.  When I am trying to decide which platform to buy a shooter on for me it usually comes down to the amount of friends I have on the 360 and the controller and that is why I usually choose to purchase shooters on the 360.  But to all of you saying that shooters don't struggle on the PS3 and I should have included that option.  Shooters do not sell as well on the PS3 as the 360 so there was no reason to put an option saying they do.  I posted a couple of pages back the sales numbers to show that sales wise they don't. "

Yes, the tilte is not the best for what you were looking for.... but I think the main issue is the narrow options that you provided.... thats what makes people say "WFT is wrong with this guy?"

So I agree with  this guy below.

@TwoOneFive said:

"this thread is fucking stupid.  "

"
    Thanks for your valuable criticism.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they don't struggle. As soon as I get a new job and finish paying these god forsaken bills I'll be buying a PS3... even though I prefer playing FPS and the common view is the 360 is the console of choice for that genre.  We all have to take chances here and there.  

As a former 360 owner the only problem with FPS on PS3 is the controller. But that can be fixed with some time, practice, and adjustment.

Avatar image for jonescapostatus
    JonesCapoStatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By JonesCapoStatus

This poll doesn't have a option for they don't. Very suspect. But I think that the PS3 has almost as many shooters as 360. The thing is that in the US the 360 is ahead about 7-8 million consoles so that's where the disparity comes from. We all know that FPS are most popular in the US so if there is that big of a gap between PS3 and 360 in the US then of course the FPS games will sell more on xbox. As far as people saying the controller, what are you people smoking? The PS3 controller is the same controller since the original DualShock just some slight modifications. So if you've been gaming on the original playstation and PS2 then you should have no problem with the Dualshock 3. The only beef is the L2,R2 buttons but hey Call of Duty doesn't use those for shot or aim, they use R1,L1 which is imo better than the triggers on 360 controller.
    ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ezdude

I've played shooters on both consoles; I find both to be the same, although I need to adjust for a few minutes every time I change because of difference between digital and analog sticks, but in the end I find them both to be the same anyhow.

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#116  Edited By nickystixx

A. type of gamer the ps3 attracts.
      shooters were big on the original xbox so naturally they are big on the 360.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By damnboyadvance

I don't think it's struggling. I'm having fun with Battlefield 1943 alone. But if there were any problem, it'd be with the controller. Personally, I've grown to prefer the layout of the PS3 controller.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By kagekage

I honestly don't think it's the controllers at all. Almost all popular shooters that have been released for the PS3 have not been "struggling at all." 
    It's just that more people have an Xbox and so more games are gonna sell better on the console. 
    Needless to say, the PS3 still doesn't struggle with FPS's. MW2 sales have been very high, but just higher on the Xbox's. You honestly can't tell me that you expect the Xbox's MW2 sales to be the benchmark. 
    And honestly, you've probably had a PS1 or a PS2 in the past, so don't blame the controller. You were fine with it then, and you're fine with it now. 
    Don't blame the controller, I think any preference to one or the other is a show of fanboyism of some sort (including me).

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By sopranosfan

I was only referring to sales numbers.  I was not referring to number of games or quality.  Resistance games are probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite console games.  A couple of pages back I posted the sales numbers.

cutanpaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By cutanpaste

I think the one glaring issue with the PS3 is MICS.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#121  Edited By veektarius

Controller, strongly.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122  Edited By shadows_kill

its not mics (PLENTY of people have them and use them)
    the controller is fine i have been using it for a long time it works perfectly (the triggers (R2L2)) are hardly ever used as fire buttons anyway
    its not the games (resistance1+2, mag, killzone 2 are fantastic games)
    its simply shooters are not the main appeal for the ps3 gamer fans. action adventure is our main attraction (hence GoW3, uncharted)

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By DystopiaX
    @SJSchmidt93 said:

" Controller? What?   The 360's controller is ass. The PS3's... the best.  I don't know, maybe because I've been using the Dualshock model for a long ass time. "

No. While I understand it's a personal preference thing I don't understand how people could prefer the PS3 controller for shooters. The analog sticks are weirdly placed (I like the left one towards the top of the controller, 360 style) and don't have enough tension/friction to them. They just feel too inaccurate for shooters. The R2/L2 triggers are too weirdly shaped to comfortably press, and while many shooters now use the L1/R1 buttons for shooting I still hate them too much for whatever function they have (melee, crouch, grenade). On top of that, the face buttons don't stick up enough for me. I like the feel of the dome/semicirclish xbox controller, because it just feels better for me. The start/select buttons are too hard to push quickly to view scores and whatnot.

edit- note: I have a PS3 and play it often. Not as much as my 360, but it still sees decent use. I actually like it better for action-adventure games like God of War and inFamous, I just couldn't stand playing Uncharted/Killzone/CoD4 (rented it to try it on PS3) on the playstation.
    fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By fresh2deafbill

definitely the controller. shooters just feel better on the xbox

xdarnokx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By xdarnokx
    @DystopiaX said:
    No. While I understand it's a personal preference thing I don't understand how people could prefer the PS3 controller for shooters. The analog sticks are weirdly placed (I like the left one towards the top of the controller, 360 style) and don't have enough tension/friction to them. They just feel too inaccurate for shooters. The R2/L2 triggers are too weirdly shaped to comfortably press, and while many shooters now use the L1/R1 buttons for shooting I still hate them too much for whatever function they have (melee, crouch, grenade). On top of that, the face buttons don't stick up enough for me. I like the feel of the dome/semicirclish xbox controller, because it just feels better for me. The start/select buttons are too hard to push quickly to view scores and whatnot.  edit- note: I have a PS3 and play it often. Not as much as my 360, but it still sees decent use. I actually like it better for action-adventure games like God of War and inFamous, I just couldn't stand playing Uncharted/Killzone/CoD4 (rented it to try it on PS3) on the playstation. "
    I'm completely the opposite.  I don't understand how people find the 360 controller more comfortable than the DS3.  I hate having the left analog stick higher than the right, it feels awkward to me.  I own all the current gen systems, but if given the option, I buy all my games on the PS3.  I only buy 360 exclusives.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By super_machine

Because kids like shooters, and they always ask their parents for xbox!

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't PS3's online gaming community made up of Shooter fans and games?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#128  Edited By spazmaster666

I know a lot of people like to argue that the Dual Shock 3 is the best controller in existence and blah blah blah but honestly, aside from the D-pad, I like using the 360 controller MUCH better. And it's the main reason why I much prefer playing shooters on the 360 than the PS3. (i.e. with UC2, if I were able to use the 360 controller I probably would have enjoyed it more). And it's not just about the triggers either (for instance, the way the analog sticks are positioned on the 360 feels better to me than the way they are just sitting right next to each other on the PS3). It's about the fact that the controller simply isn't ergonomic or comfortable to use for long periods of time. (well for me anyway, if it feels good for you then great)

k3i7h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By k3i7h

I haven't really had any problems with shooters on PS3.  Killzone 2 and MAG both worked fine for me.  For multi-platform games I usually go for the 360, but thats because my friends own 360's and I don't really enjoy playing with random people.  I don't really think that would be the case if i knew more people with PS3's.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#130  Edited By project343

Awkward analog positions and piss-poor shooter triggers. My thumbs have actually bumped into each other on many occasions while playing shooters (i.e. if you want to strafe right but turn left... THUMB COLLISION!). Triggers were clearly designed for driving games.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#131  Edited By chililili

I think the gravitation of the discussion towards the controller is wrong. The 360 marketed itself better for the american audience. American audiences prefer FPSes therefore the 360 overperforms significantly the ps3 in this genre

rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#132  Edited By rai

The controller isn't made for shooters, but I think its because of the variety of games the ps3 has. The playstation has always been a console for all gamers not just the shooters.

JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133  Edited By JohnRehill

They don't struggle, more people prefer the 360 for shooters though.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#134  Edited By Kyreo

It's those darn joysticks.  They feel... odd... for some reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.