Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Why do you have a PS3 only?

• 87 results
    Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dissolve

This thread is if you don't have a Wii or 360 and don't really plan to get one (you might, you might not). I KNOW YOU'RE ONLY HARDCORE IF YOU HAVE ALL THREE but some of us are minimalists and try to keep things simple (or PS3 fanboiz, who I can't help but sympathizing with).

I only have a PS3 because I had a 360 but needed something with HDMI and since I didn't play online all that often, but at least once a week, I didn't want to pay $50 for Xbox LIVE. I don't hate 360 at all. I think I might get one a few years from now and catch up on the exclusives I missed. And I'm always looking for a Wii. But I have only a PS3 because it offers so much right out of the box and a better value than 360, not as many games but more great games than I believe some people think.

And lately the only game I play is MGS4 and MGO. This game gets better every time you play through it.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CountRockula

I needed a machine that would play MGS4, God of War 3, and whatever Team Ico is currently working on.  I'd love to have a 360 and Wii as well, but I'm just not willing to drop that much money for gaming hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Because there wasn't enough on 360 and it is already losing the hotness of it... I mean, by 09 I dont see why anyone would buy a 360 over PS3.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By benderunit22

It satisfies my gaming needs for the time being. Although I might get a Wii and a 360 at some point, when they're cheaper and stop breaking

jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By jtickner1

I own my PS3 because I'm waiting for Killzone, Gran Turismo, God of War and Jak and Daxter. I plan to buy a Wii soon, just don't really have the money right now.

blu_magnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By blu_magnet

Because of MGS4 and the 360 doesn't have any games i want to play that aren't also on the PS3

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9c617c31567
    deactivated-5e9c617c31567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I only have a PS3 because the Wii hasn't grabbed me yet (although I am intrigued by the acclaim of boom blox). I have a computer so most of the 360 games I am interested in are available on PC as well. I don't have to have the newest games on day one.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Demilich

Because I have a good PC and all I need is MGS4 and RE5.

Mr_Ahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mr_Ahh

I only currently own A PS3 & PSP for very simple reasons only 360 exclusive I've ever cared for was Pacman CE & Bioshock and now I only need to wait a couple months for the latter. I will never ever pay for LIVE, I don't care how much they say it's the ish. If multiplayer was free and you paid for the other stuff sure but pay to play online; madness. To make matters worse now they made LIVE on PCs free can someone anyone at all explain to me why I should pay for in game voice chat? Which is the only differance now between the PSN and LIVE. The hardware is extremely poor, and living in the caribbean the hassle I would have to go through to ship a 360 to repairs is far too great. I know five 360 owners personally, each had the RROD at least twice.

I don't see the sense in buying a system just to play Metroid. But I'm more likely to get a Wii in the long run not for me but for my little nephew as it's easier to pick up. The first video game I've ever played was Astroids on the 7800, I've been doing this for a while now the Wii as I see it is for kids I could be wrong but with the online being such a joke (anyone wanna trade friend codes?) that's why I passed on the Wii.

I don't own a DS because other than the NSMB it just doens't have anything I'll play. The PSP has giving me countless hours of entertainment, maybe a DS can too but I can honestly say I'm more inclined to get a DS than a Wii or 360.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BirthWild
    Demilich said:
    "Because I have a good PC and all I need is MGS4 and RE5.
    "
    + 360 and + wii.
    then yes.
    Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vyse_Legends

Well unlike Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation I'm not white enough to afford all three consoles.:P

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PenguinNerd

I have a PS3 only because, like most of you have said, it has the games that I want to play.  (MGS4, White Knight Story, LBP etc.)  I would like to be able to get a 360 or a PSP but as I've seen with owning a DS and PS3 it can get hard to buy games for both systems.  Especially considering that this fall a lot of games are coming out that I plan on buying it'll be hard enough just to get the games I want for one console.

xv0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xv0id

I have all 3 of the current gen consoles. I like the menu system and layout of store on PS3. I hate the 360 blade system and how hard it is find stuff in the store. Wii has a good menu system, BUT online is a sad joke. Overall the PS3, i think is the best one. I like the way it draws stuff, and how the games play on it. I just wish it had more downloadable games. That's the only thing that makes the 360 better then the PS3 in my opinion.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By epic_pets

Well I have all 3 of them, but I could go with only ps3 cause of the good online and great exlusives

Caje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caje

I only have a PS3 because there aren't many games that are coming out this generationt that I actually want. There is no reason to spend all that money on extra consoles to play one or two games. Since X360 and the PS3 share many exclusives, my friends all have PS3s (people to play online with) and the small possibility of Red Dead Revolver 2 being a exclusive, I got a PS3.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I have a PS3 only because I just want a bit of fun once and a while. Sure I'd like to own all three, but I just can't afford it.

I play the 360 sometimes when I go over to my brothers place.

KillGiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By KillGiver

I only have a PS3 for a few reasons. First I owned four  Xbox's in the previous generation because they continously died and after hearing about the mysterious games bricking systems as it was reported in 2006 I figured they still had some build quality problems. I also wanted to catch up on some of the great PS2 games I missed. I Like films almost as much as I like games, so I looked at the two formats and figured blue ray would likely win with the support of the PS3 creating a natural install base. Then after doing a cost comparison and looking at the time at supposed exclusives I purchased what I believed to be the superior system. I've since been tempted to buy a 360 by Bioshock, a working Orange Box, and the ability to play sports online with friends (most own 360), but as I look to the future I don't see any Xbox exclusive title that justify a 360 purchase considering I don't care for Gears of War and Halo, few games a staying xbox exclusive, and I'm not paying to hear random jerks on XBL. As for the Wii, I will buy one when I can walk into a store and buy it as an impulse buy to play Zelda, Mario, and retro games.

wizzardjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wizzardjeff

i wanted to play games like gt5, uncharted, etc

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shadows_kill
    Dissolve said:
    ...I KNOW YOU'RE ONLY HARDCORE IF YOU HAVE ALL THREE....

"
    what does hardcore mean. cant rich people just buy all 3 and not use them? does that make them a gamer or hardcore gamer? well i own wii and ps3. i use the ps3 more than the wii but i still play it. i don't see why someone without a system or 2 cant be "hardcore" unless hardcore=rich person that doesn't play.
    thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thelastguy

i do not see a reason to own all three systems.  If I got a 360 I would only play Gears of War and Halo, there is no point for me.

ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT

because I hate the majority of the games on the 360, the ones I do want usually get ported to the PC about a year later. I dislike the 360 controlers, and I've liked the majority of games for the PS1, PS2 and PS3 that I've played.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I like all the controllers for all the system.

360 controller is comfortable, but the PS3 controller is just as comfortable to me. The Wii converter thing is the least comfortable because it is a rectangle, but it is still fine.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

Because I love the PS3 controller and it's the only system with games that I like. For Nintendo I only like Zelda, and for 360 I only like Gears of War, but for PS3 I love Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, Folklore, and so on. Sure some of those are multi-platform now, but they had their humble beginnings on PS systems and that's why I like Playing them on. Devil May Cry on a 360 controller, just isn't Devil May Cry.

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

I only got a PS3 for many reasons. One being online was free. Second blue-ray is a reason I also wanted it. The last reason is simple. I have been a PS fan since PS1.

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xionpunk

I only have a PS3 because of money.  I can't afford to have all three (i was pushing it coughin up the cash for the PS3). I'd love to be able to own GeoW or Halo 3 (mostly mass effect though) but it just ain't gonna happen. I went with the PS3 because I had the PS1 & 2 and their exclusives are the ones I wanted the most. MGS4 was the main one but Jak and Daxter, GOW, Killzone, etc. Free online, blu ray, and reliability also helped. 

I would never buy a wii though, even though I love Nintendo deep down.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fraser

Well i have a ps3 and a wii. I consider myself a ps3 fan/player because the Wii was a present and the PS3 was bought with my own money, and i would just consider myself a playstation man anyway.

I got a ps3 becuase i've had a ps1 and 2, and the game franchises i love are always gonna come out on playstation; mgs, gta, tekken, dmc, ratchet and clank. And even if they come out on multiple systems, i'm all about  supporting Playstation, and i love the controller

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AaronBelfast

At the end of the day the main factor is $. So thats my reason, not because I'm a fanboy

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By hazelnutman

Because I'm not made of money.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

its awesome

teekazeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By teekazeek

I really don't have anything against the other consoles.  I wish I could have them all but here are my reasons:

I don't have enough money for all of them
    I had a Wii but found I didn't really play it much (as neat as it was at various times).
    I didn't want a 360 b/c of friends bad experiences with machines bricking
    The PS3 allowed Linux Install :)
    The PS3 had MGS3 coming out

seraph973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By seraph973

i dont have time to play all 3 consoles

wii will look horrible on my big tv

Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kane

For me it's because the ps3 has free online, reliable, blu-ray, and in the future even more great exclusives,now that i think of it iv never owned a console not made by sony, ps1,2,3

CosmoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CosmoKing
    hazelnutman said:
    "Because I'm not made of money.
    "

Exactly...=(
    phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By phatkav

Because I hate consoles and one is enough. I'm more of a PC/handheld gamer so I really hate consoles and find them useless. However I bought a PS3 because I needed something to play when people come over and somethnig that can play games like Far Cry 2 or Fallout 3 at high quality seeing how my PC will not play them that good.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Demilich

I could only afford one so I got that triple, but now I'm considering a Wii for Brawl.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince

I should point out that if I did have spare money, I wouldn't mind getting another console. I don't have anything against them, it's just that PS3 had more to offer me.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

I like their variety, it's expensive to have 2 or 3, online isn't all that important to me, and I don't need more than one console.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Dissolve

MGS4!

Firelad43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Firelad43

I have had a sony console all my life. I knew I wanted a PS3. Could not afford to get a PS3 and 360. Trust me I would love to have a 360 but I just dont have the cash. Need to save for a car and college lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 8493

Because i had a ps2 and i could play my games on a ps3

Shadow_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shadow_Prince

Plays Blue ray, Plays MGS4, Play exclusives,Free Online
    I love M$ exclusives as well BUT the ones i care about are mostly on PC as well....If i bought a 360 then i would have be wasting my money as I already spend alot on my PC...

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vindo

I chose only the PS3 because I love getting ports of multi-platform games, online games with people who don't talk, a trophy system that is fundamentally broken because there will never be a time when all games have trophys and I was stoked when Sony announced that they didn't really have an online plan to rival XBL. </sarcasm>

No but honestly I have a Ps3 and a 360. The PS3 is for God of War, MGS4, Socom, Team Ico, Sly4 and the other exclusives. The 360 is for everything else. It is for exclusive 360 games and for multiplatform games. All of my friends are on 360, we have achievements on every game and the online crowd is much better because every console comes with a headset pretty much.

I just got my PS3 recently and I was really surprised that I like the XMB so much. It's a really cool console but my biggest beef with it since before it even came out is the online structure. I thought Sony would announce a unified system. Thankfully now they are getting there.If they get there with a free service MS would have no choice but to drop the $50 a year. Honestly, that's not a lot of money so I was more than willing to pay a fee on the PS3 for a legit online structure.

Elsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Elsa
    "I KNOW YOU'RE ONLY HARDCORE IF YOU HAVE ALL THREE"
    What??  That's ridiculous. Some guy who lives and breathes SOCOM, is in a clan, spends his days on their clan forum, and nights and weekends playing the game is hardcore.  So is the girl who plays every single 360 game that comes out on easy mode, or that guy who's addicted to WoW.  I would say that time spent and addiction can be "hardcore" ...  more so than having all three consoles if they sit and gather dust.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Pkshields
    hazelnutman said:
    "Because I'm not made of money.
    "
    Owned a PS1 and 2, always preferred the PS brand and I don't think i'd play enough to get another system and ^^
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah, money is a factor as well.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DrPepper1990

Because simply it is the most technologically advanced system on the market today. It also is the most bada$$ system on the market today. Great game selection, plus all the great games coming out. Sony FTW!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince
    DrPepper1990 said:
    "Because simply it is the most technologically advanced system on the market today. It also is the most bada$$ system on the market today. Great game selection, plus all the great games coming out. Sony FTW!!
    "
    That too... =P
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By swamplord666

1. GOW 3
    2. GOW 3
    3. Not enough money to buy a 360
    4. all in one (student so can't afford to buy a game console + movie player + music player...)
    5. and not least... it doesn't break!

namster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By namster

cause ive been hooked on sony since my uncle bought me a ps1 and ff7 when i was 8

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LiquidPrince
    swamplord666 said:

5. and not least... it doesn't break!
    "
    That's a big one!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.