Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Why dosent SONY have these Demands for Developers?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I love my PS3 and all, adn its great that they made Trophys Mandatory for all games, but dont you think they should make these mandatory as well?

1. every game needs to be ATLEAST 720p. Multiptalform and otherwise.

2. Every game needs to have AA.

3. Every game needs to have in game music support.

4. Every game needs to have voice chat.

5. every game needs to be able to utilize PSN.

Pretty much everything MS makes devs do before a game hits there console.

Is it because there not in a position to make demands like this because of there marketshare?

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By killdave

Don't worry, because Microsoft force people to do all this stuff, most of the time they just port it over to the PS3 too.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @killdave:

But the port is often lackluster, dosent have In game music, Voice support, or PSN intigration.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Is this a PS3 bashing thread, or is there a serious discussion to have here? 

For the sake of serious discussion: 

Sony was still behind on developing the PS3 whenever the 360 launched, and they were really hoping that Blu-ray was going to carry them to the bank early in the game.  Other than that, I would assume they didn't see their online capabilities as a huge portion of their strategy, nor did they even think that this "achievements" thing would be as popular as it became. 

However, something you are missing is how the forced inclusion of some of those features can end up resulting in glitches in the games.  =  /

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @jakob187:

Its in now ay meant as bashing. I really dont get why people would think that. Im just offering Criticism and ideas for fixing it. But apparently, you cant criticise or Critique a console on its Offical Forum without being labled a fanboy.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Why should every game be required to utilize PSN?  How would playing a single-player RPG benefit from PSN support, for example?  That seems like a silly requirement.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By killdave

Sony was hoping that Blu-ray was going to carry them over but in my opinion its hurt them for games. Sure its cool having "great" games like MGS4 on 1 disc, but having to wait 10 mins each chapter for it to install again and again is annoying. Would have been much easier to stick with DVD and swap the discs over PS1 / PS2 / Xbox 360 style. 
    Without the Blu-ray the console would have been out a lot lot fast and a hell of a lot cheaper (quicker). 

If that happened I'm sure it would be Sony dictating what goes into their games and what doesnt, instead of Microsoft.  We would see a lot more "multi platform" games looking like Uncharted 2, instead of like the subpar ports we see.

Right now I think they just grab what they can get without rocking the boat. We all seen what happened with their 3rd party exclusive deals falling apart when they stuck their noses in.
    But credit to them for catching up. I actually play games regular on my PS3 now instead of using it as a video player only.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions

Anyone play the recent PSN Fallout Add-Ons? And if so, how many times did they freeze on you? I got the first three of 'em and I stopped playing on my tenth or so save-ruining glitch.
    My point is yeah like Raven_Sword said, the port seems to be worlds worse some of the time. And when a game like Uncharted 2 comes out, you really gotta look at these ports and just /facepalm.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By asurastrike
    @Raven_Sword said:

" I love my PS3 and all, adn its great that they made Trophys Mandatory for all games, but dont you think they should make these mandatory as well?   1. every game needs to be ATLEAST 720p. Multiptalform and otherwise. 2. Every game needs to have AA. 3. Every game needs to have in game music support. 4. Every game needs to have voice chat. 5. every game needs to be able to utilize PSN. Pretty much everything MS makes devs do before a game hits there console. Is it because there not in a position to make demands like this because of there marketshare? "

Why would Sony force every developer to make the game use PSN? That's like when they were making developers use sixaxis, it was garbage. 

Also, Halo 3 and COD4 aren't native 720p even on 360.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Raven_Sword said:
    "1. every game needs to be ATLEAST 720p. Multiptalform and otherwise. 2. Every game needs to have AA. 3. Every game needs to have in game music support. 4. Every game needs to have voice chat. 5. every game needs to be able to utilize PSN. Pretty much everything MS makes devs do before a game hits there console. Is it because there not in a position to make demands like this because of there marketshare? "
    Actually Microsoft has lifted the 720p + FSAA requirement recently (though they obviously didn't  mind games like COD4 or Halo 3 not being in 720p) and not all 360 games utilize Live (Assassin's Creed for instance). And the only reason why they had the AA requirement was because the 360 had the ability to do basically performance free 2xAA because of the EDRAM. The in-game music support is console level, not game level I believe (I could be wrong).
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten
    @FunExplosions: I've honestly have not had a freezing problem with Fallout 3 since like when it first came out on the PS3. 
    And now that I've been down at Gamestop with my Fallout 3 copy, I picked up Fallout 3: Game of the Year edition for.. well nothing.. And still no freeze and I'm like half way through all the quests o.O 
    So yeah.. It differs, as it always have... 

Wait, remind me again what games released on the PS3 that aren't 720p out of the box?  
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By spazmaster666
    @ZeForgotten said:

Wait, remind me again what games released on the PS3 that aren't 720p out of the box?   "

Here's a nice list: Link.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten
    @spazmaster666: Thanks, I only knew like some of those.  
    I just wanted to see what I was missing, since the once I knew about didn't seem that big of a deal to me.  
    Neither does the rest of the games.. Thanks tho'
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunExplosions
    @ZeForgotten: It's probably just me. I have an unnatural love and hatred for Fallout 3. But really? Yours didn't even get a little bit laggy in Operation: Anchorage?
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @ZeForgotten: It's probably just me. I have an unnatural love and hatred for Fallout 3. But really? Yours didn't even get a little bit laggy in Operation: Anchorage? "
    The framerate in Operation: Anchorage was indeed a lagfest at some point. 
    But I thought you meant like the game freezing up and not moving at all and you being unable to do anything at all. 
    But some points in O:A was freaking horrible. But it usually helped to go back inside the command tent and back out and voila.  
    No FPS drop for like the nect 34 minutes.. 
    richinjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By richinjapan

spazmaster was on the right trail. Nearly all of the "demands" you listed requires more out of the system than it has to give, at least right now. The PS3 handles it's RAM differently than the 360; both systems have 512MB of RAM, but divided out differently, so the PS3's XMB has more limited range of memory to pull from than the 360. Every function that is added to the XMB in game takes away from that certain allotment dedicated to the XMB (I seem to recall 80MB being the figure tossed out at one point). So within that limited amount, Sony has had to rework and streamline lots of functions to give us what they have so far (messaging, trophies, etc; things we never had access to before in-game). The word is EA recently prevented the PS3 from adding cross-game voice chat because in order for Sony to make it happen, they had to borrow some more memory from the game, which would require EA to change how some of their games utilize the memory. That would require EA to spend time and money making patches, and they just don't want to do it. 

So, I say be grateful for what you have. The systems are different, and they handle things differently. Sony has been awesome, working hard within the physical constraints of the system to answer their users' demands. I'm quite happy with how far the system has evolved, and I'm looking forward to all the new stuff they can bring.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai
    @killdave: the MGS 4 chapter install did not take 10 minutes. It was 2-3 minutes at best. 
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Mordukai said:

" @killdave:  did not take 10 minutes. It was 2-3 minutes at best.  "

Thats what she said
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @Mordukai said:
    " @killdave: the MGS 4 chapter install did not take 10 minutes. It was 2-3 minutes at best.  "
    Yeah, the between-chapter installations only took 2-3 minutes, but the initial install took a good eight.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Mordukai said:

" @killdave:  did not take 10 minutes. It was 2-3 minutes at best.  "

Thats what she said "
    I can teach you tricks that can help you with that problem. 
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Mordukai said:
    " @killdave: the MGS 4 chapter install did not take 10 minutes. It was 2-3 minutes at best.  "
    the initial install took 8-10 minutes, each chapter install took 2-4 minutes.
    Based upon fragmentation of the hard drive it could take 2 minutes or 4, or 8 or 10.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

most games aren't in 720p it works more upscaled to 720p, 1080p. 

i would not want games to have online just to have online. it would be useless online play, i kind of feel like gta 4 death match was kind of just put into the game for online play.  

i'm waiting for sony to patch the system so people can have cross platform chat. if they don't then maybe next generation of games they will put that stuff in there. i do agree ps3 does not cross platform chat.  

i just kind of think that sony just made a new system for the bluray. they just wanted to sell it which won the format war.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By killdave
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @Mordukai said:

the initial install took 8-10 minutes, each chapter install took 2-4 minutes. Based upon fragmentation of the hard drive it could take 2 minutes or 4, or 8 or 10. "
    2 4 6 8 10 mins (as stated - 10mins for me) ... still is annoying as hell for the bluray size. My point is having to stop and wait is slower than a simple dvd era disc swap.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Andorski
    @Raven_Sword said:

1. every game needs to be ATLEAST 720p. Multiptalform and otherwise.
    For some games, 720p is a strain on the system, and developers have to make concessions in order to achieve other goals (number of characters on screen, locked in fps, etc).  Look at Infinity Ward and the Modern Warfare series.  The game runs at 600p in order to have a constant 60 fps.  Even with this trade-off, the game looks great, moving or otherwise.

2. Every game needs to have AA.
    Goes along with my last response.  Developers make trade-offs, and if they are great at what they do, these trade offs pay off.

3. Every game needs to have in game music support.
    Agreed, although though it isn't a big concern of mine.

4. Every game needs to have voice chat.
    If rumor are true, there will be a patch for in-game chat across different games.

5. every game needs to be able to utilize PSN.
    Not sure what this means.  utilize PSN how?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.