Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Won't recognize iPod

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Ross

Hey I have an iPod Touch and want to play music on my PS3.  I've read that when you hook it up it will recognize it as a USB device but my PS3 won't even recognize it.  Help?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Press triangle and click on show all or something of that nature.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ross

I would but it isn't recognized unfortunately so there is nothing to press triangle on.

Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Throne

Yeah, same thing with me. I don't think PS3 recognizes iPod Touch.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ross

Great job with that one Sony... oh well...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It recognizes my ipod to some degree, but it doesn't categorize them like itunes or the 360 does and let's you choose songs by artist, album or song name.
    It's just a bunch of randomly assorted folders called F00 to FF(some number). So you can play your songs, but it'll be like just a big shuffle.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By chililili
    TeflonBilly said:
    "It recognizes my ipod to some degree, but it doesn't categorize them like itunes or the 360 does and let's you choose songs by artist, album or song name.
    It's just a bunch of randomly assorted folders called F00 to FF(some number). So you can play your songs, but it'll be like just a big shuffle."
    My ipod works just like yours on the ps3
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By KamasamaK
    Ross said:
    "Great job with that one Sony... oh well..."
    Yea, blame Sony for Apple having a closed platform. It works fine with older iPods, but the iPhone and the iPod Touch are different. There's probably something you could do if it's jailbroken.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kamasama said:
    "Ross said:
    Yea, blame Sony for Apple having a closed platform. It works fine with older iPods, but the iPhone and the iPod Touch are different. There's probably something you could do if it's jailbroken."
    Mine's a 5th gen 80 gig Ipod Video, doesn't that qualify as ancient nowadays?
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "Ross said:
    Yea, blame Sony for Apple having a closed platform. It works fine with older iPods, but the iPhone and the iPod Touch are different. There's probably something you could do if it's jailbroken."
    Mine's a 5th gen 80 gig Ipod Video, doesn't that qualify as ancient nowadays?"
    I guess? I'm not sure the purpose of the question, but your experience with the way it's recognized seems normal.
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By lebkin

There are several issues that cause problems with iPods and consoles.  I am no expert, but here is what I know.

Ross said:

"Hey I have an iPod Touch and want to play music on my PS3.  I've read that when you hook it up it will recognize it as a USB device but my PS3 won't even recognize it.  Help?"
    The iPod touch is not simply a USB hard drive/flash drive like most MP3 players.  The iPod Touch (along with the iPhone) is a full fledged computer, with a modified version of the OS X operating system.  As such, it does not mount as a normal hard drive would (just like trying to mount your laptop to it would have similar problems).  As far as I know, there is no way to get the iPod Touch working on the PS3 without Sony releasing some sort of patch in order to communicate with the Touch's operating system.

TeflonBilly said:
    "It recognizes my ipod to some degree, but it doesn't categorize them like itunes or the 360 does and let's you choose songs by artist, album or song name.
    It's just a bunch of randomly assorted folders called F00 to FF(some number). So you can play your songs, but it'll be like just a big shuffle."
    Those folders you see are the iPod's personal organization system, which is complex and not clearly rational.  The iPod itself has a database that tells it where everything is.  I am not sure exactly what the Xbox 360 does, but it either makes use of that database or simply reads the tagged information from the files themselves.  I assume the PS3 is not doing either, and is just giving you raw access to the file structure.  This is a feature I believe Sony could improve with a patch so that it works similar to the Xbox 360.
    NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By NinjaMunkey

I nearly got an ipod but decided not to for that exact reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.