Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Another PS4 date rumor, major retail worker showing 10/21

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76168179&postcount=417

"Rumor: Our internal product release schedule from head office dropped yesterday and on Oct 21st an unnamed Sony console will be launched. Fyi all console revisions like the ps360 slims and Wii Mini were listed as ps360 & wii mini. Previously the wiiu, 3ds and vita were also only listed as Nintendo/Sony Console in the product name column.

Disclaimer: I just work at a very large retailer, managing the electronics sales force and nothing more. I have nothing to do with purchasing, nation wide merchandising or shipping. I am not trying to play this off as I have connections at Sony, or I am some sort of insider. It's that just yesterday we received a product release schedule from our head office and I thought this is OT itt. These schedules btw, are for internal use only, designed to allow us time to create our instore merch plans. If the launch date for a product is unknown, it's simply marked TBA. The only time a date is ever included is when we have received confirmation of said date from the product company."

Interesting if true. I had been thinking the last weekend of October, but this would put it more than a week before. Hopefully we'll hear something from Sony at Gamescom about a release date, but in the meantime, one of the mods over at Gaf is working to verify the poster's career choices.

UPDATE: Poster has been verified by a mod, so it's probably a legit claim. Whether or not that's a set-in-stone date is still highly up for debate, but it's more confirmation than we had before probably.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I would be stoked if it was that early.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oh man !

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Craziness!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Sterling

Please be true!

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

9 Days before Battlefield 4. I really hope they release PS4 before BF4.

Does anyone know where the Gaf member is from? It could be US release only, and Europe week or two later.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why the fuck do people care about release date rumors from individual stores by anonymous people on a forum known for trolling?

Don't worry, Sony will make sure you know.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Considering such a launch is well before many of the games that they were touting as "Launch Titles" (9 days before Battlefield, like @verendus said, as well as over two weeks before COD, more than a week before ACIV and almost a month before Watch_Dogs) I'm going to take this rumor with a large grain of salt.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I really hope this true. That would be great!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By TheHBK

Sony sucks. They shouldn't manned up and launched it at E3 for $399. bam! Go into stores right now and buy it. Saturn style bitches.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@banefirelord: True, but most if not all of those games are only giving release dates for current gen consoles and the PC.

"Battlefield 4 will be available October 29 for the Xbox 360® game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC. Battlefield 4 will also be available for the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4."

They kind of go out of their way to not include the PS4/XBO in the launch date grouping. Again, not saying this is true, just saying current gen launch dates likely wouldn't affect next gen console launches if those launch dates are only +/- a week or so.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

Sony sucks. They shouldn't manned up and launched it at E3 for $399. bam! Go into stores right now and buy it. Saturn style bitches.

that would've been fucking mental. imagine all the 180's microsoft have done since E3, that shit would've been flipped upside down if the console was already out there.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@5figh said:

@thehbk said:

that would've been fucking mental. imagine all the 180's microsoft have done since E3, that shit would've been flipped upside down if the console was already out there.

In today's internet leaky world that would never work sadly.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BaneFireLord

@krakn3dfx: Have there been past cases of cross-gen games releasing first on the new platform, even if most of the marketing has been centered around the old platforms?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: Neogaf mods are pretty vigilant about verifying posters with inside information and banning them if they aren't able to provide proof of their position the industry that would allow for them to leak/provide information. On top of that, a lot of industry people post on Neogaf on a regular to semi-regular basis, developers from Evolution, Zombie Studios, and Albert Pennello from Microsoft to name a few.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This would be cool.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@banefirelord: A lot of stuff has happened leading up to this next gen launch that I've never seen for a console launch. Having said that, no, I haven't. Hopefully next Tuesday we'll have our answer one way or the other.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'd be very happy with that release date.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, seriously. This article is pretty weak sauce. Its fun to speculate to a certain point, but for the release date people won't know until they do. Then Sony won't be able to stop shoving it in your face.

Even if the console launches early if the games don't follow then what's the point. The game lineup is already pretty weak, I can't imagine its going to improve if they shorten the time devs have to work on it.

@joshwent said:

Don't worry, Sony will make sure you know.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm really surprised we don't know the launch date already. You'd think the companies would be trying to sear it into our brains. I don't really understand what they get out of waiting at this point.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really surprised we don't know the launch date already. You'd think the companies would be trying to sear it into our brains. I don't really understand what they get out of waiting at this point.

Jack Tretton actually talks about yield numbers being the big reason they don't announce release dates in the video below. he also mentions October as a potential "holiday" month, so it's not completely out of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eVYv6hr-CTs&t=180

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

that would be fantastic if its that soon.

so ubisoft said that watch dogs and ac4 are launch titles for both next gen systems, wonder if this means they will launch earlier on ps4 then,

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hunter5024 said:

Jack Tretton actually talks about yield numbers being the big reason they don't announce release dates in the video below. he also mentions October as a potential "holiday" month, so it's not completely out of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eVYv6hr-CTs&t=180

Ah I see. I just assumed it was some sort of marketing thing, where they withhold information so they can strategically drip feed announcements to keep the hype train rolling. This makes more sense.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got reasons to believe this. I've also got reasons to believe this is simply a oopsie and it's the date things come into actual physical stock.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two days before my birthday, cool.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

This also be the 12GB PS3 rumored to be launching in the U.S. that has already been out in Europe.

Sony has said a couple of times that the 12GB model won't be coming to the U.S. tho, so take that how you will.

Could also be a Vita refresh.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

When they moved the release date for Tearaway from the 22 of October to 22nd of November, that really made me think they were gunning for the end of October for PS4, getting it out before Call of Duty seems like a good idea for both consoles if for no other reason than to get those people looking at them when they come in to make their annual purchase.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@krakn3dfx: I wanna say this. Seems a bit to early for launch.

The entire thing reads as a internal sales memo about making room for a new item. The guy claims to not have any high up connections. So this really sounds like that slim PS3.

This also counters other rumors of the Ps4 releasing after X1 *that Toys r us UK thing*

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx: I wanna say this. Seems a bit to early for launch.

Compared to what? PS1 launched in September in the U.S., PS2 in March, PS3 in November. Tretton said it comes down to yield numbers and mentioned October as a possibility. I'm not sold on 10/21 either, but it doesn't seem totally out of the question either. 10/29, on the other hand, seems quite a bit more likely for some reason, probably because that's when BF4 and Watch Dogs are supposed to drop.

It's also possible this is the date the retailer is set to receive shipments to release on a later launch date. *shrug*'

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: Yeah that was my reasoning as well if they were going to do a PS4 launch in October

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@kidavenger: Yeah that was my reasoning as well if they were going to do a PS4 launch in October

Would be a good way to get Killzone:SF out there before BF4 and CoD as well, if they were to do that. Increase 1st party launch title sales by dropping them earlier than popular multiplats.

Ho_Blivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

With like NO GAMES! Have fun with the XMB til November bitches!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cb1115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cb1115

Really hope this is true. A late October release would make so much sense for them.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gamescom August 20th comes and Sony does there conference and surprises everyone that the release date will be tomorrow! That would be awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.