Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Blu Ray Drive Finicky For You Too?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I've just rewatched Season 1-3 of Game of Thrones on Blu Ray. That's 15 discs. Out of these 15 discs, 4 discs gave me grief. 3 discs refused to be read outright, and a third one went from unreadable to corrupted data to being read with no issues with a few wipings of a microfiber towel. All of these discs played just fine on my PS3, where I had to watched them instead.

These discs are pristine, some of 'em first time viewings right out of the shrink wrap. No visibile scratches or smudges. I take care of my discs. Usually technology gets better with time, so why is it my PS4 disc drive behaves like a little bitch?

Just needed to vent. Wonder if others made similar observations. Glad I'm going all digital, so I won't have to deal with this shit. Still - this Blu Ray drive is rather fucking annoying. Not even sure if such a thing would fall under the warranty, since it works fine per se, it's just flippin' finicky. Might a firmware update improve it? Who knows. Just venting.

So, now to watch episode 10 of season 3 on my PS3, which feels so flippin' wrong, because why wouldn't it play on my PS4, but have no issues on my PS3. Faulty disc drive? Lower quality disc drive build? Shitty firmware? God dammit. Neither of these reasons makes me happy.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By a_e_martin

I don't think it's anything to do with the drive, it's the firmware that just isn't up to scratch at the moment. I've only tried playing one Blu-ray on my PS4, which I did at launch, just to see for myself if it really was as bad as it had been made out to be. And sure enough, the load-times are horrendously slow and the control panel features have been stripped down. So I'm still happily using my PS3 to watch all my Blu-rays, which I don't actually mind at all, since it does the job perfectly.

As for going all digital, I don't think I could ever do that with movies. The quality just isn't there, not at the moment, at least.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

I've watched only one movie Spring Breakers the rest of the time I don't really use the disc drive at all because all my PS4 games save for AC4 are digital.

From what I have used the disc drive I'd say no I have no problems.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rethla

I tried to watch the hobbit yesterday on PS4 but after some audio sync issues i put the bluray disc into my PS3 instead and it worked flawless like always.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcsman

These are some of the reasons I kept my PS3 plus HBO Go.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RonGalaxy

How is 3 seasons of a show 15 discs on bluray? That should definitely be 9, maybe 12 because its an hbo show. 15 sounds ridiculous.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is 3 seasons of a show 15 discs on bluray? That should definitely be 9, maybe 12 because its an hbo show. 15 sounds ridiculous.

2 eps per disc. 10 episode seasons.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

In my experience it's usually very slow to load a disc on start up, but once I get the blu ray going everything's fine.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RonGalaxy

@pulledabrad said:

@narujoe93 said:

Are there a lot of extras, because that's really low from my experience? Usually 4-5 episodes of a 45 minute show plus a decent amount of extras can fit on 1 disc, and still be great quality.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, plus it's just kinda noisy, some of my discs take forever to load, and half the time I put a disc in there it makes a weird whirring sound.

I've switched my primary Blu-Ray device from the PS3 to the PS4 and now to my Xbox One. Say what you will about that console, but the Blu-Ray drive is nice and silent, and everything loads fast. Plus, unlike Sony, Microsoft actually put out a controller. I mean, it's shit, but at least it's something.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pulledabrad said:

@narujoe93 said:

Are there a lot of extras, because that's really low from my experience? Usually 4-5 episodes of a 45 minute show plus a decent amount of extras can fit on 1 disc, and still be great quality.

I honestly cant remember about the extras. Its just how HBO's done their shows. Deadwood on DVD was the same way. 2 eps per disc. So who knows mang.

Avatar image for callsignneptune
    callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't experienced any issues myself but have only watched a handful of blu rays on the PS4. Hope it sorts itself out for you though man, that must be a pain in ass.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Yeah I wish I had noticed some of these issues before the return period. But hey it played games ok so no reason to wonder but it won't play my music CDs and it struggles on Movies. I have restart the console on blu rays because if I fast forward too much it will just hang and freeze on me.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@thehbk: The reason it wont play a CD is because the PS4 doesn't support it, same problem with MP3's

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@thehbk: The reason it wont play a CD is because the PS4 doesn't support it, same problem with MP3's

Well that's just prime...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

My anecdotal observation is that Bluray discs in general more often have defective prints than DVD's used to have, in my three years of buying Bluray's I've gotten 4 misprinted discs (if you look on the data side of the disc instead of looking consistently reflective all the way, there were squiggly, oily looking lines and blank spots that almost looked like fingerprints, burnt into the disc), while in over a decade of collecting DVD's I've only ever gotten one defective disc.

But if it plays on PS3 and not PS4, that may not be the issue, my defective bluray discs wouldn't read at all on my PS3.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I've heard lots of PS4 Blu-Ray issues. Haven't even tried a movie in it yet, just stick to my PS3.

i_Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only like to use my Gaming discs on my consoles and try to avoid movies and music. prolongs the life of the drive and the beam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive read online people saying not connecting to the internet(when it asks you before watching a blu ray) fixes the problems. ive never had any problems after doing that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.