Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

buying a external hdd for ps4 need help

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hi bombers i am buying a ps4 pro and a external hdd and was wondering will any usb 3.0 hdd work with the new update?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@rkofan87: The PS4 will ask you to format the drive as soon as you plug it in anyway, and format it for you, so you should be fine. I believe it is exFAT that it uses, but you probably wont run into any problems with that.

I have recently learned that some external HDD's that have a USB hub with them do not work as "extended storage" with the new 4.5 update because one of the criteria is being directly connected, and the hub gets in the way of being directly connected. so really that's the only thing your should look out for is the extra USB HUB on an external HDD, otherwise you should be perfectly fine.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I believe there is a limit of as low as 256 gigs, and as high as 8TB with an external drive. But otherwise yes any 3.0 drive with the correct format should work, and the PS4 will take care of the formatting also.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rkofan87: The PS4 will ask you to format the drive as soon as you plug it in anyway, and format it for you, so you should be fine. I believe it is exFAT that it uses, but you probably wont run into any problems with that.

I have recently learned that some external HDD's that have a USB hub with them do not work as "extended storage" with the new 4.5 update because one of the criteria is being directly connected, and the hub gets in the way of being directly connected. so really that's the only thing your should look out for is the extra USB HUB on an external HDD, otherwise you should be perfectly fine.

i just order one from amazon thank you for your help.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Slight warning. I bought a Seagate 2TB USB3 Drive, and upon connecting it, was told it wasn't supported. Disconnected and re-connected, and got the same error message. Upon following the URL it gave me, it said to make sure you're inserting the USB plug fast and firm, so I tried again, as fast as I felt safe going without damaging my console, and it worked fine.

Short Version, make sure you plug it in fast.

johnnyspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if the storage update works with an external stack like this one? I have one lying around from an old job that has four 2TB drives in it, but have no idea if the PS4 will recognise one, all or none of those drives.

Thanks in advance.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyspectre: Probably not. It sounds like the drive has to be plugged directly into the PS4, you can't even put it through a USB hub for example before it reaches the PS4.

Also it sounds like you can't partition it individually and then have the PS4 use one partition. It has to do the partition itself and use the entire drive.

johnnyspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I feared as much - thanks. I'll probably give it a go anyway and report back, but I won't get my hopes up...

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ezekiel

I've read that externals are of lower quality than internals, which is one of the reasons they're so much cheaper. Should be fine for backups, though.

The other reason is that more people buy externals than internals, so there's more demand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.