Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Dualshock

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatlad

Saw a rumour that the PS4 will have a new controller. I'm fine with that, the current controller is horrible to use. The idea of not having rumble tech is ridiculous they tried skimping out on rumble with the sixaxis on the PS3 and it backfired. With all the new systems from wiiu to iPad the one thing that is missing is tactile feedback. Rumble is the most immersive input and removing it is just daft

Edit: When I say backfired, they had poor reaction and many people complained, leading to the settlement of the court case and introduction of the dualshock 3. My point is Sony are making the same mistake, I don't give a crap about motion controls but Rumble/dualshock is very important feature

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I like the current controller, and I'm pretty sure my PS3 controller has rumble...

grimmspectre18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By grimmspectre18

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am asking this with complete sincerity. You know they brought it back with the Dualshock 3 right?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

Also you realize they only removed the rumble because of patent issues and brought it back as soon as they had it figured out, yes? (IIRC)

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

@Shortbreadtom said:

I like the current controller, and I'm pretty sure my PS3 controller has rumble...

He's talking about the original sixaxis, it didn't have rumble.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cold_Wolven

My only critique against the DS3 are the triggers so I hope something can be done to improve them.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shortbreadtom

@_Chad: Ah, I see. I bought a PS3 after it had been out a couple years so that makes sense.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

The only thing wrong with the current controller is the triggers. Also, the Dualshock always had rumble since the PS1 days, that's why it's called dualshock.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kgb0515

I actually like the Dualshock 3 controller. My only complaint is with the triggers and the ridiculous amount of spongy travel response that they suffer from. I like the convexed dome sticks better, but I would improve the clickiness (new word) and maybe move them apart a tad. I always disable vibration, so no loss there. It was never perfect, but it was comfortable for me, and I like using the shoulder buttons for shooters.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

I like the controller, but not as good as the 360 one. They need real triggers, which I don't think they can do? As Sega had the patent on those and licensed it to MS? check me on that. But they can do much better like the WiiU.

For me the perfect controller is the 360 one but with the Nintendo D-pad

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @TheHBK said:

Or the Playstation D-Pad. 
    ...or ANY OTHER D-Pad.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

@thatlad: Rumble is not the most immersive input. Also the Wii U gamepad has rumble. And also DualShock 3 has rumble.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton

I keep reading the third sentence over and over again, going more insane each read-through.

Anyway, same dualshock with just a slightly larger footprint for bigger hands and better, 360-style triggers and that would be my dream pad. My own little dream pad.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By WightnNerdy

I don't like how the Dualshock 3 has squishy L2 and R2 buttons, and I also don't like the loose analog sticks. The controller needs to be a little more smooth because the edges of the controller can hurt my hands if I play a game for more than 3 hours (though I rarely do this anyways). Basically I want it to be the 360 controller. I love that thing.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'd like them to fix the triggers. Oh and junk that convex junk. If my thumbs aren't touching then they are sliding off. I hate having to use my right thumb to hold up the left stick so I can move my left thumb back on without letting it go. I've gotten pretty good at it though.

Also, I don't use rumble anymore, it's so bad. I stopped using it years ago and never looked back.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By phantomzxro

@thatlad said:

Saw a rumour that the PS4 will have a new controller. I'm fine with that, the current controller is horrible to use. The idea of not having rumble tech is ridiculous they tried skimping out on rumble with the sixaxis on the PS3 and it backfired. With all the new systems from wiiu to iPad the one thing that is missing is tactile feedback. Rumble is the most immersive input and removing it is just daft

...umm they have rumble in the current ps3 controllers now and the only reason the launch controllers did not was because of a patent dispute that Sony reached an agreement on after the launch.

Also i say the ps3 controller is fine if they make it different from the ps3 controllers i say fix those R2 and L2 buttons still kinda hate them now.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@ProfessorEss said:

@TheHBK said:

Or the Playstation D-Pad. ...or ANY OTHER D-Pad.

This is not a thing anymore. I understand if you haven't used a 360 controller made in the last couple years, but they have totally fixed the d-pad issue. The new transformable d-pad is great.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#18  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I've been assuming they will be just altering the Dualshock for the 4th iteration like they have been doing all along. If they go by user feedback seems like tightening the sticks up and changing the L2/R2 buttons to something more like the 360 controller would be the most notable changes. Sure they could go with something completely different but from what Sony has put out before I really doubt it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

I hate rumble and turn it off at every opportunity.
    The next dualshock just needs to be heavier and have better triggers.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kaos_cracker

I'm sure it will still rumble, they just are doing something different and not calling it that, no way will they get rid of that feature.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ripelivejam

360 sized/shaped controller (or even a little bigger maybe? not duke size but i wouldn't mind bigger), and sticks in PS3 layout. done.

new wiiu pro controller is ALMOST that, but don't know how i feel about sticks on top

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By pr1mus

I prefer the dualshock 3 controller above every other, even the triggers since i don't play shooters much on console and i find the R2/L2 buttons vastly more comfortable for racing/driving game where you have to keep pressing them for extended periods of time.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@TheHBK said:

Or the Playstation D-Pad. ...or ANY OTHER D-Pad.

This is not a thing anymore. I understand if you haven't used a 360 controller made in the last couple years, but they have totally fixed the d-pad issue. The new transformable d-pad is great.

Oh yeah, good point.

I had all the controllers I would ever need before that thing came out and I always forget about that deluxe d-pad.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By hollitz

Am I a strange person? I never notice a controller when I'm playing a game unless it's my first or second time using it and I don't know where all the buttons are.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By tebbit

Fix L2 and R2, that's all I ask. I know they didn't want to straight up copy Microsoft's design, just like Microsoft didn't want to copy Sony's L1 and R1 - so they both differentiated themselves by making ass variants of the same concept.

Just,,, make them better. Make them tactile and enjoyable to use.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mosespippy

@hollitz said:

Am I a strange person? I never notice a controller when I'm playing a game unless it's my first or second time using it and I don't know where all the buttons are.

It depends on what type of game you're playing I think. If you're playing a turn based game and have all the time in the world to enter an input then I don't think you'll notice it. If you're playing something like a fighting game, where input timing has to be precise, then it stands out when it doesn't feel right.

What the first post didn't mention (and Kill Screen did when they reported on the rumour yesterday) is the inclusion of a touch screen on the new controller. It makes sense to me. Developers that make games that support a screen in the controller will be able to put that kind of support into a Vita port (and WiiU, iOS and android ports if they are third parties). It both creates content for the Vita and lets them piggyback the mobile games scene.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.