Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Escape from Mount Stupid: PlayStation 3 (GameSpot)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

So, I just watched Danny O'Dwyer's feature, praising the PS3's good times, and highlighting its downfalls. The best games I can remember from PS3's library, are Sony's 1st/2nd Party failures. I myself, love these failures. (Not all of these are outright failures. READ THIS PART.) (I loved Resistance 3, Twisted Metal was really good too.)

• Twisted Metal PS3
    • Resistance: 1, 2, 3
    • Killzone 1, 2, 3
    • God of War 3, (and prequels)
    • Infamous 1, 2
    • Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, 5, portable
    • Playstation All-Stars
    • Sports Champions 1, 2
    • Little Big Planet 1, 2
    • Motorstorm 1, 2, 3
    • Heavy Rain
    • SOCOM 4
    • Uncharted 1, 2, 3
    • Sorcery

Of course this is just a tiny, obvious list of Sony's 1st-Party games. As Danny mentions, Sony's blackout/hack, was awful. They just got finished with the Kevin Butler actor. I haven't experienced the Yellow-Light-of-Death yet, and I sure hope I don't, until I get an Xbox ∞. (I've had a 360 before)

I'm just struggling to believe in Sony whole-heartedly. Like you all know, an Xbox ∞ DRM thing, will cause many of you to go to Steam, even though you're already on Steam. I have a PS3 Slim right now, and I'm liking the games, and I still don't like that interface. Its stupidly slow to load up the in-game XMB. Trophies take long to sync to. On and on I can complain, if you guys remind me about other things.

Like, if Sony manages to get a solid 60/40 over Xbox ∞, as far an fanbase, I mean can they not fuck it up this time? I mean, that interface, I'm willing to bet dollars'to'donuts they'll pull a PS Vita interface. They're Japanese designers, after all. Which is great, as long as they win, I guess? PS Move 2 is a shoe in, for sure; in the box, and all.

I guess my point is: Does it matter if the: bigger gigs of RAM, and more processors, making PS4 a "better," system, if no one buys the 1st party games? I.e. Resistance 4. Killzone 4 will happen, but.. It sure ain't no Resistance. A crude analogy I thought of is like: having a juggernaut topple over because of tiny legs. (3rd party games don't Really matter, I guess. Am I missing something, here?)

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Really? The games you remember most are their failures?

I could name off a bunch of PS3 exclusives which were not failures which also happened to be some of my favourite games this generation - or ever (Uncharted 2 anybody? /etc) - but that aside, I think the only thing I agree with you about is the Vita interface.

God that thing is terrible, and if the PS4 interface is anything like the Vita's, you can count me out now - aside from multitasking, of course, that can stay.

So yeah;

• I liked the XMB
    • But I agree that they can still fuck up hugely, especially with the interface
    • I really don't think Sony will get anywhere close to a 60/40 market share next gen
    • and I think people will continue to buy the best of the stuff Sony puts out - whether it be because of reviews, marketing or whatever, the cream has definitely risen to the top as always.

ED: Oh, and I actually kindof liked that video - though the bashing of the Vita and Wii-U is a bit like kicking them while they're down, which I can't be party to.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By superfriend

This is one of his best videos yet. The Gamespot UK crew really shines sometimes.. well, it´s mostly Danny´s videos.

Dude seems to enjoy what he´s doing.

As to your comment: I don´t think Resistance is that highly regarded among.. well, anybody. I like the series, but 2 has some serious issues and 3 is not all it could have been (too short, human enemies suck ass, multiplayer is a laggy mess).. I think Killzone games sell quite well. There wouldn´t be a 4th one coming if they didn´t sell well.

Oh and you listed Infamous 3? Yeah, I wish that would exist!

Edit: If people consider some of the games you listed outright failures, then this industry is indeed doomed. No, I think a lot of these games sold well enough. It may be true that Sony doesn´t have a HUGE first party system seller type game, but if they can keep at least some of their franchises going, I don´t think they need one.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I've started to actually prefer the PS3 to the Xbox lately because of how they handle their online store. PSN is really, really cool especially if you are a Plus member. The sales are good, the non-sale prices are still really good compared to XBL, and the Plus benefits are really nice. If they keep up with what they are doing the new Sony home console may be my default console.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfriend: Shit, you're right! I was just trying to think of shit. I was gonna put the God of War prequels, and I forgot what my reason was.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

I disagree I like the PS3 interface ... its funtional unlike that closterfuck that is the Xbox 360 one

kobr24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kobr24

@jasonr86: I have no experience with the XBox Marketplace but I hate the PSN store so much. If I could actually add funds to my wallet without driving down to the 7-11 to get a card I'd probably be less angry, but it all seems so clunky to me.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've had my PS3 for about 5 years now. I own maybe 5 games for it. There's just something about it that I just don't like and always end up buying games on the 360. I loved the PS1 and PS2, but the PS3 just did not grab my attention or make me give a shit. I really only own it because it is still the best Blu-Ray player.

I honestly can't explain why I lean more towards my 360 than my PS3, but for some reason I do.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@kobr24 said:

@jasonr86: I have no experience with the XBox Marketplace but I hate the PSN store so much. If I could actually add funds to my wallet without driving down to the 7-11 to get a card I'd probably be less angry, but it all seems so clunky to me.

But you can with debit or credit cards. My debit card is saved to my account and all I have to do is pick the item, go to the checkout, and pay for it. The XBL process is essentially the same but instead of putting real money into your wallet your buying points. In fact, with PSN I don't even deal with the wallet. I just buy the products and PSN takes out exactly what is needed from my bank account. In a lot of ways it's like Steam.

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrIntrovert
    @jasonr86 said:

@kobr24 said:

But you can with debit or credit cards. My debit card is saved to my account and all I have to do is pick the item, go to the checkout, and pay for it. The XBL process is essentially the same but instead of putting real money into your wallet your buying points. In fact, with PSN I don't even deal with the wallet. I just buy the products and PSN takes out exactly what is needed from my bank account. In a lot of ways it's like Steam.

Not only are you buying points, but on the Xbox you can only buy them in specific amounts--you can't just buy the point value of a given game, leading you to have useless Microsoft points laying around if you don't plan them carefully.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@tycobb said:

I've had my PS3 for about 5 years now. I own maybe 5 games for it. There's just something about it that I just don't like and always end up buying games on the 360. I loved the PS1 and PS2, but the PS3 just did not grab my attention or make me give a shit. I really only own it because it is still the best Blu-Ray player.

I honestly can't explain why I lean more towards my 360 than my PS3, but for some reason I do.

Agree with this 100%. I own like maybe 7 or 8 PS3 games and probably beat like 3, I got Resistance 2 when it launched and beat it last year. I play my 360 all the time, have a ton of games and probably never beat like 3. So it is hard to say but I just like my xbox so much more.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just refuse to believe though, that Sony won't fuck itself over again, this time. PS1, 2, and then 3, All had shitty interfaces. They're just like DOS computers, if you think about it.

Its like, if I went and bought a PS4, and I buy that CoD, I'm still gonna have clodge through that interace. As of today, I can't figure out where my game saves are on ps3, there's cache I have to look for, DLC is mixed in with game firmware updates, I think. I still forget that they moved where the trophies, and I couldn't get to them quickly first time.

Its just that, its like PS4 will be a premium product, with premium innards, and clodge interface. I just can't accept it. PSN Store is alright these days, kind of.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By phantomzxro
    @kobr24 said:

I don't see where your problem is coming from unless you want pay pal support. You can put your card on the system(gutsy i know) and adding funds is better on PSN where you can just what you need if its over 5 bucks.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jasonr86 said:

I've started to actually prefer the PS3 to the Xbox lately because of how they handle their online store. PSN is really, really cool especially if you are a Plus member. The sales are good, the non-sale prices are still really good compared to XBL, and the Plus benefits are really nice. If they keep up with what they are doing the new Sony home console may be my default console.

I pretty much agreed with this. Sony has the right cards at play right now and all they really need to do is stay the course and hit harder with the features that they have built up.The only other thing is make sure other systems don't have the edge on interface and features. The new IU does not have to be completely different it just needs to be quick and easy to use.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree I like the PS3 interface ... its funtional unlike that closterfuck that is the Xbox 360 one

That's so true. Not only that, but it's been the same interface since launch with only minor additions. That's a pretty amazing feat compared to the 360. Since I remember everyone initially thinking the PS3 interface was slightly inferior to the 360.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Grimluck343

Man the PS3 really did have a great (if sometimes rough) run. So excited for tomorrow though!

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait for the Slim PS4 model.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@selfconfessedcynic: personally for me, the only PS3 game I know I'm going to remember 15 years from now is Heavy Rain and how terrible it's ending and voice acting was. It's hard to forget the worst thrown in, bs twist I've ever experienced in any form of media. Everything else is kind of forgettable, or it was a multi platform game.

Also the Wii U being in the league was actually kinda funny.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@blatantninja23: Really?

If I had to name a couple of PS3 exclusives I'll never forget they'd be;

• MGS4
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Demon's Souls
    • Uncharted 1/2 (still haven't gotten around to 3)

But yeah, I had the ending of Heavy Rain spoiled for me, and I'm pretty happy that I'll know that going in if I ever play it - sounds pretty left field.

As for the Wii-U thing, I laughed then felt bad for laughing : )

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@selfconfessedcynic: MGS4 is the only game you mentioned that I really liked. I still need to get around play VC, I did like the demo. I remember dark souls long before I'll remember demon souls was a thing. Uncharted may be the thing someone brings up, and I'll just respond "oh ya the game where puzzles basically just told you how to solve them and the shooting was terrible. Thank god the dialogue was good."

Having it spoiled for you will actually make playing it even more confusing. You'll look for ways of how they may hint or foreshadow it and it'll just never come. You'll search for something you can't explain and just doesn't exist. That or I really missed something that's obvious.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rpwll

I've always liked the concept of the XMB, all the way back to when I first got my PSP, but it suffers from a few core design shortcomings that make me think it should be dropped for the PS4. The core idea of the XMB is that most media browsing UIs are essentially different means of showing hierarchical lists.

Think about how an iPhone's Music app UI works, you have tabs along the bottom to switch between lists of artists, albums, etc. which would count as the first level of hierarchy. From there if you chose say the Artist tab, you'd select an artist, drilling further into the app's information hierarchy until eventually you reach the deepest point by picking a song.

The XMB's stroke of genius here was to plainly show that hierarchy with a standardised, universal presentation. At the top level you have a horizontal list of icons denoting different types of media—the top level of hierarchy—from there you drill down into vertical lists to further explore that hierarchy, that's all there is to the XMB.

But there's potential issues here, what if you wanted to show a grid of information? Surely that would be faster to navigate than a simple list? Compare the speed with which you can type on the standard PS3 on-screen keyboard versus the scrolling list of letters on the new PSN store to see what I mean.

The more glaring issue with the XMB is that it restricts the display of any given item's information to an icon, title and subtitle, often restricting the display of anything but an icon to the currently selected item. So if I have my list of friends and I want to quickly see who's online and what they're playing, I have to cycle through every single one of my friends to check this. Even then a lot of the information I want to see isn't displayed at that top level so I have to select every one of my friends and wait for their player card to load.

Also it lacks a certain personality, white icons on a background can be kind of boring to look at after 6 or 7 years.

Basically my main issue with the XMB is that it's core design principles are often too rigid. It restricts the display of information in such a way that you don't get to see much at once, it's slower to navigate, and it's kind of a little bland looking.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpwll said:

I've always liked the concept of the XMB, all the way back to when I first got my PSP, but it suffers from a few core design shortcomings that make me think it should be dropped for the PS4. The core idea of the XMB is that most media browsing UIs are essentially different means of showing hierarchical lists.

Think about how an iPhone's Music app UI works, you have tabs along the bottom to switch between lists of artists, albums, etc. which would count as the first level of hierarchy. From there if you chose say the Artist tab, you'd select an artist, drilling further into the app's information hierarchy until eventually you reach the deepest point by picking a song.

The XMB's stroke of genius here was to plainly show that hierarchy with a standardised, universal presentation. At the top level you have a horizontal list of icons denoting different types of media—the top level of hierarchy—from there you drill down into vertical lists to further explore that hierarchy, that's all there is to the XMB.

But there's potential issues here, what if you wanted to show a grid of information? Surely that would be faster to navigate than a simple list? Compare the speed with which you can type on the standard PS3 on-screen keyboard versus the scrolling list of letters on the new PSN store to see what I mean.

The more glaring issue with the XMB is that it restricts the display of any given item's information to an icon, title and subtitle, often restricting the display of anything but an icon to the currently selected item. So if I have my list of friends and I want to quickly see who's online and what they're playing, I have to cycle through every single one of my friends to check this. Even then a lot of the information I want to see isn't displayed at that top level so I have to select every one of my friends and wait for their player card to load.

Also it lacks a certain personality, white icons on a background can be kind of boring to look at after 6 or 7 years.

Basically my main issue with the XMB is that it's core design principles are often too rigid. It restricts the display of information in such a way that you don't get to see much at once, it's slower to navigate, and it's kind of a little bland looking.

"Man, the XMB is this weird thing that says: LOOK AT EVERYTHING, ALMOST AT THE SAME TIME. One of us tells the truth. One of us options, you'll never use." I never liked how the rest of the menus, adjacent to yours, never went truly opaque. Just transparent.

If you think of it, Xbox Does kind of do that. Or more like its a file explorer, and you go into that option, animation into that, loads the menu, and presents it to you all pretty. The end-resolution part, doesn't matter too much. The transition animation, makes a world of a difference, as it makes the rest of its world, oblivious to you.

This menu talk can be a little trite, fucking boring even! But I agree with your iPhone reference though. And that had good animations to, for menu stuff. Back then, you would hear a click, even. ~ Yea, iOS does its stuff pretty well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.