Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Have I missed anything worthwhile?

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Hey gang,

I've recently had quite a bit of time off work (I work in a school and get 6 weeks paid holiday) so I've pretty much caught up with my backlog. Now, I'm wondering if I've missed anything unmissable so far? Here's my current PS4 lineup:

No Caption Provided

Not pictured are DOOM and The Witcher 3, which I gave to a friend, along with INSIDE and Stardew Valley, which I finished, and got super bored of the repetitive nature respectively.

So what's good gang? Is there anything SUPER good that I've missed? I've kind of had my eye on World of Final Fantasy, Deux Ex, and Crash, but they all look kind middling. WOFF looks kind of generic, I hear DX is kinda crappy, and I finished all the Crash games when I was a kid.

I'm all ears!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Hitman?

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By matoya

Hitman?

Giant Bomb ruined Hitman for me. I don't mean that in a diminuitve way, because the Hitman content is the best content this website has ever put out. But I saw SO MUCH Hitman on this website, every kill, every level from so many different angles that I just couldn't play it. It's the reason I didn't play MGS5 either- After watching Metal Gear Scanlon, I couldn't bring myself to "do it again", because I've already seen it all

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Bloodborne, if it's to your liking.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

KinGDOm HEartS JoiN US

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

You can try Nioh if you like that type of game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

@matoya: You're telling me the saddest things. GB ruined Hitman and MGSV?...

Am I to assume you played Journey, seeing that you have Abzu? Just started Gravity Rush 2 so I wouldn't be comfortable wholly recommending it. I really really like The Last Guardian but I guess I can't completely dismiss the issues ppl had with it. In the same vein, The Evil Within, I quite enjoyed but ppl have problems with it. Woftenstein: The New Order? If you played Doom, maybe worth checking out? I thought everything along the edges of the shooting was terrific but Doom shooting blows it out of the water.

There are other games like The Witness and Ratchet and Clank that's well regarded I haven't touched.

Oh, Hyper Light Drifter! Excellent! and not sure about your history but FFX/X-2 Remaster?

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I to assume you played Journey, seeing that you have Abzu? Just started Gravity Rush 2 so I wouldn't be comfortable wholly recommending it. I really really like The Last Guardian but I guess I can't completely dismiss the issues ppl had with it. In the same vein, The Evil Within, I quite enjoyed but ppl have problems with it. Woftenstein: The New Order? If you played Doom, maybe worth checking out? I thought everything along the edges of the shooting was terrific but Doom shooting blows it out of the water.

There are other games like The Witness and Ratchet and Clank that's well regarded I haven't touched.

Oh, Hyper Light Drifter! Excellent!

I've been considering Ratchet and Clank, but I've never played one before. I know i won't have a problem jumping in, but is it a good game for a first timer into the franchise?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

@matoya: Someone else might be better equiped to answer this. I played Tools of Destruction a long time ago and A Crack in Time kinda recently so I have Ratchet and Clank on the shelf 'til I feel like another one of those but since it's a reboot, if I had to guess, it's actually a great place to start.

They're okay games. They're good looking and good humored no stress affairs if you want to f around with neat weapons and do some light platforming.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nioh and Bloodborne, as others have mentioned. I'd also put Wolfenstein TNO on that list. If you're looking for smaller games, I thought Child of Light was a cool little experiment if you're into RPGs.

Deus Ex could be worth checking out, depending on your history with the series. I think it would be totally serviceable if you are new to those games, but it is disappointing in the context of Human Revolution.

The Witness is also hit or miss. I personally didn't get much out of it, but I can also totally see why people love that game.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By odinsmana

@matoya said:
    @liquiddragon said:

I've been considering Ratchet and Clank, but I've never played one before. I know i won't have a problem jumping in, but is it a good game for a first timer into the franchise?

It`s a remake of sorts of the first game in the series and the movie they made, so story wise you`re fine. The downside being that it`s one of the weakest entries in the series in when it comes to story and characters. Otherwise it looks amazing and plays great. It`s not the best entry in the series, but it`s still really good and should be a good starting point.

Otherwise Bloodborne is amazing if you like those games.

Until Dawn is really great. I am not a horror movie guy and still loved. If you have any kind of affinity for either Telltale games or David Cage style games you should check it out.

All the Kingdom Hearts collections are on PS4 now too.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nioh and Bloodborne, as others have mentioned. I'd also put Wolfenstein TNO on that list. If you're looking for smaller games, I thought Child of Light was a cool little experiment if you're into RPGs.

Deus Ex could be worth checking out, depending on your history with the series. I think it would be totally serviceable if you are new to those games, but it is disappointing in the context of Human Revolution.

The Witness is also hit or miss. I personally didn't get much out of it, but I can also totally see why people love that game.

I'm not sure if I could play another "soulslike" game really. I imported Demon's Souls as soon as it came out, and played it like 3 times. Then I got Dark Souls and platinumed it, playing through it like 5 times in total. I then played Dark Souls 2 at least twice to completion.

I just don't think I've got it in me to play another Souls game. Nioh looks BETTER, but from the GB QL it just looks like more of the same. Maybe I'm wrong?

I fucking LOVED Human Revolution. One of my favourite games on the PS3. I just remeber Jeff saying how dissapointing it was, and how it wasn't as good as HR

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice 2, nioh, bloodborne, let it die(f2p worth a shot), Diablo 3, and mgsv.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya said:
    @liquiddragon said:

It`s a remake of sorts of the first game in the series and the movie they made, so story wise you`re fine. The downside being that it`s one of the weakest entries in the series in when it comes to story and characters. Otherwise it looks amazing and plays great. It`s not the best entry in the series, but it`s still really good and should be a good starting point.

Until Dawn is really great. I am not a horror movie guy and still loved. If you have any kind of affinity for either Telltale games or David Cage style games you should check it out.

The KH games had be at a "huh, maybe", but I'm a little hesitant to get into them. I think KH3 looks like an absolute masterpiece, and I really want to play it.

But I don't...know how to play the KH games on the PS4. There's so many releases, that it's hard to know what to play. I wanna just be READY for KH3, but I don't know if I'd need to play all the DS games and shit too. Conflicting viewepoints!

Injustice 2, nioh, bloodborne, let it die(f2p worth a shot), Diablo 3, and mgsv.

I can't really get into fighting games, and I've mentioned why i don't think I'd like Bloodborne. I'll admit that Nioh looks pretty good though. Is it more than just a DS clone?

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could just get nicely into an MMO - Final Fantasy XIV or Elder Scrolls Online (imho FFXIV is better on console than ESO, but ESO is cheaper right now). Then you won't need to buy any other games ever again!

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By odinsmana
    @matoya said:
    @odinsmana said:

The KH games had be at a "huh, maybe", but I'm a little hesitant to get into them. I think KH3 looks like an absolute masterpiece, and I really want to play it.

But I don't...know how to play the KH games on the PS4. There's so many releases, that it's hard to know what to play. I wanna just be READY for KH3, but I don't know if I'd need to play all the DS games and shit too. Conflicting viewepoints!

They have actually made it fairly easy to catch up on the whole series with the collections they have released. The 1.5+2.5 collection and the 2.8 collection gives you every game in the series in either playable or movie form.

For a play order I think they are listed in a good order in the collections (just watch 358/2 days after you play KH 2), but otherwise just look up the release dates on Wikipedia and play they in the order they were released.

The most important ones story wise and the ones it seem like you would need to play to understand KH III is KH 1, 2, Birth by sleep, Dream Drop Distance and a Fragmentary passage (and read a story summary of Chain of Memories). With the exception of DDD and Chain of memories these are also all really good and are the games I would recommend you to play if you are not planning to do everything. The other stuff in the collection goes from OK to bad and seem like something you can skip and still understand most of the story in KH III.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid said:

You could just get nicely into an MMO - Final Fantasy XIV or Elder Scrolls Online (imho FFXIV is better on console than ESO, but ESO is cheaper right now). Then you won't need to buy any other games ever again!

I played a lot of FF14 with the GB guild a while ago and really liked it, but then I got to the Heavensward story content and got completely turned off it. It just got super boring imo. My brother tried ESO and said it was kinda shit, but that was 3 years ago. Has much changed?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya said:
    @therealturk said:

I'm not sure if I could play another "soulslike" game really. I imported Demon's Souls as soon as it came out, and played it like 3 times. Then I got Dark Souls and platinumed it, playing through it like 5 times in total. I then played Dark Souls 2 at least twice to completion.

I just don't think I've got it in me to play another Souls game. Nioh looks BETTER, but from the GB QL it just looks like more of the same. Maybe I'm wrong?

I fucking LOVED Human Revolution. One of my favourite games on the PS3. I just remeber Jeff saying how dissapointing it was, and how it wasn't as good as HR

If you loved Human Revolution, then I would skip Mankind Divided. It just isn't as cool or well put together. I got through it, generally liked it, but I don't see myself going back. By comparison, I go back to HR pretty regularly.

I think Nioh might be worth a play, but you need to stick with it. It feels like Dark Souls at first, but I would say it feels less that way the more you play, mainly because it isn't as difficult. It starts to feel more like a Ninja Gaiden-style action game with a more in depth progression system. That said, I'm a sucker for a good samurai game, so that might be part of why I like it.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya said:
    @therealturk said:

If you loved Human Revolution, then I would skip Mankind Divided. It just isn't as cool or well put together. I got through it, generally liked it, but I don't see myself going back. By comparison, I go back to HR pretty regularly.

I think Nioh might be worth a play, but you need to stick with it. It feels like Dark Souls at first, but I would say it feels less that way the more you play, mainly because it isn't as difficult. It starts to feel more like a Ninja Gaiden-style action game with a more in depth progression system. That said, I'm a sucker for a good samurai game, so that might be part of why I like it.

Yeah man I fucking love Samurai games. I've been kind of wanting to play Nioh for a while, but I think I've wrongly dismissed it as a DS clone. If the price us right, I might pick it up

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Batman Arkham Knight is quite good if you haven't played that yet. I put off playing it until recently because I felt burnt out on the Arkham games and kind of open world games in general but I'm having a lot of fun with it. It feels like the game Arkham City should've been.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blannir said:

Batman Arkham Knight is quite good if you haven't played that yet. I put off playing it until recently because I felt burnt out on the Arkham games and kind of open world games in general but I'm having a lot of fun with it. It feels like the game Arkham City should've been.

Arkham Knight is appealing because it's like £5 on amazon. I remmeber hearing the batmobile sections kind of spoil the game. As someone who hasn't played a Batman game since City, is it worth a pick up?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have the same PS4. I don't even like Destiny...

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have the same PS4. I don't even like Destiny...

I got bored of Destiny at level 14. Maybe it's because I had nobody to play with?

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they haven't already been recommended, Bloodborne, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls III, Darkest Dungeon (PSN), Salt & Sanctuary (PSN), Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider (which you have), Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Resident Evil 7, Gone Home (PSN) and SOMA (PSN). Thats all I can think of for ow. Good luck and have fun!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

XCOM 2.

There is War of the Chosen coming out for it soon as well.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya: The biggest change with ESO is the One Tamriel expansion, which flattened the entire world to be appropriate no matter your level. You as a level 6 character can fight the same enemy and do the same quest as a level 50 character and through whatever wizardry see no difference. It means you can explore the whole world and take any quest without worrying that it will be impossible, it means you can group on any content with no downsides for anyone, it means you'll get good loot that's useful for you for every quest. Also if you buy the Morrowind version of the game, you start there now, and it's a much better experience.

Like I say it's not as well optimised for consoles as FFXIV is, but no worse than Skyrim really. I think the PSN has it on sale for £15 which is pretty mad considering how much is in there.

As for FFXIV itself, you might find that on going back you have a new interest in the HW story. It's possible you just got burnt out on the 2.x patch content so when you got to HW it was too much. That tail-end of ARR is widely recognised as the weakest part of the game by far. Pretty tough to have to go through so much needless back and forth for 100 quests and then be presented with a whole new set of back and forth quests when starting the expansin. I understand why people drop it at that point. You could always buy the jump item and go straight into Stormblood, which is fantastic, and probably my favourite Final Fantasy game ever.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya: Yeah, me either. I played through all that I could and enjoyed it but definitely not enough to own a Destiny branded console. I wanted a white PS4 and thought the design looked kinda nice in the photos but it's a bit tacky in person. You like the system?

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya said:

@blannir said:

Arkham Knight is appealing because it's like £5 on amazon. I remmeber hearing the batmobile sections kind of spoil the game. As someone who hasn't played a Batman game since City, is it worth a pick up?

I am actually finishing this up right now. Yea the batmobile sections are kinda meh, but it is a great game for 15 bux. I feel like the games have become a bit diluted. Arkham Asylum was simply amazing, but it is absolutley worth if for the cheap price on Amazon.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya: Yeah, me either. I played through all that I could and enjoyed it but definitely not enough to own a Destiny branded console. I wanted a white PS4 and thought the design looked kinda nice in the photos but it's a bit tacky in person. You like the system?

If you're on about the aesthetics, I could take it or leave it. It's usually buried under a million other things so I don't see it. I like having a white controller though. Black looks awful

If you mean as an actual games console, it's fucking TERRIFIC. I don't quite think it matches up to the PS3, but it's had some incredible games so far. Horizon/Persona 5 have made this year one of the best in recent memory. Not since Dark Souls have I been so impressed with a pair of games.

I'm thinking about getting World of Final Fantasy. It looks a bit more classic than FFXV which I got 10 hours in and dropped, and it looks charming as hell. Price is good too

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya: Oh yeah, the white controller is nice. Also, it was one of the first PS4 SKUs to have physical buttons on the system so that's good. I too think the console is pretty great, tho I don't quite understand why it takes that much time to disc check. It's only a few seconds but I don't remember the 360 having that problem with installed games. WoFF looks neat but I can only commit to top tier JRPGs. It's just too much commitment to even consider 2nd tier ones.

Did you play Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. It's one of those games, it's probably gotten kinda annoying the amount of times fans try to convert ppl but still, if you haven't, the remaster I'm sure is pretty cheap.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Rachet and Clank game is a reboot so yeah it's definitely fine to play as your first. Also you might like the Gravity Rush series. I enjoyed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.