Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Have you seen these ads on the PS4 main menu and are you cool with it?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon  Online

I've seen them promote tons of games on the What's New feed between friends activities but this is the first time I've seen them insert a game for purchase right into the menu between my stuff. I've never played Destiny 2, put a disc of the game into the system, or looked at its page. Is this old news? I've never seen it before and it just kinda grossed me out.

No Caption Provided

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't recall seeing this on PS4 before, but it's definitely a thing on Xbox.

Welcome to the club, Sony.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this for the first time today and I immediately deleted it. I was scared for a second and thought that either I'd drunk purchased it or my nephew got a hold of my controller and did it. I agree that it seems like a pretty gross thing at first, but it was easy enough to remove. If it keeps popping up, I will be pretty annoyed.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Didn't Destiny one had a similar thing on PS4 once? I kinda remember having the icon there for a while.

It annoys me, it actively makes the user experience worse just for the sake of advertising (which I guess is the way advertising always worked). Nothing I will get up in arms about but those consoles are not free, so it rubs me the wrong way that they do that.

It's way worse on Xbox though, half of the "recently used" icons on the main screen are ads which makes it just a tiny little bit annoying to juggle between multiple games and apps.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've never seen this happen. Weird.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MattGiersoni

@liquiddragon It's been there pretty much from the start of PS4, I imagine most people haven't seen them because it's an optional thing. Maybe a PS4 software update reset that option in many users' settings, but It's not a new thing. Just go to settings->automatic downloads--> and uncheck "featured content". I suspect an OS update reset that for a lot users. I doubt Sony suddenly started using mandatory ads in the OS or I hope they did not, and on majority of forums that this has been brought up, the above checkmark in the settings was the culprit.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just noticed this today too. I think it's a little different than your average ad. They're actually inserting it as a game in your recently played list with an option to buy it. That feels sleazier than just buying some ad space on the dashboard.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Xbox has plenty of ads on the home screen, but they're always in the same places (that you learn quickly to avoid).

Not sure if that's better or worse than putting them in your recently used list. They both suck.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish we didn't have this thread/post/story every year, turn off featured content from settings - system - untick automatic downloads.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Efesell

Uh, hm.

I wouldn't mind if there was just a normal add somewhere there, shoving it into my list directly like any other game I already own is really pushing it.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#13  Edited By MightyDuck

I saw that yesterday as well. I thought it was pretty shady that it was moved to my list like that. Threw off my "pristine" folder set up I had going, hah.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fucking lame - keep the ads/promotions in the store. I am pretty sure you can delete it, which is fine, but it's still stupid. I particularly dislike it because it's just confusing when you first see it. I haven't been on PS4 in a month or so and went on yesterday to start AC: Origins. I saw the Destiny 2 logo and thought I accidentally purchased it or something.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No and no

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's disgusting. It is like the way hulu shoves showtime movies into my feed even though I don't subscribe to sho. Corporate greed over user experience always pisses me off.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like this kind of shit. FUCK OFF SONY

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow guys, it's just an ad. Find something else to get upset about?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coryukin: I'm calm enough, thanks. Also I'll feel however I want about this, thanks.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I clicked on this thread I expected to be like "it's nothing to get worked up about, ads are ads"

Now that I've seen that imagine holy crap is that slimy and gross. How have I never seen this before?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I saw that, then I would be mildly annoyed or confused, but it wouldn’t really bother me. I don’t even notice the adds on my Xbox anymore. It’s just adds. As long as I’m not forced to look at it, or I have to watch a commercial before I start a game, then it’s all whatever.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

No and No

That's a pretty deceptive way to advertise a game. Don't hurt the usability of your interface and my library with your ads.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Stop putting ads in the shit that I pay for. Fuckers.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By MetalBaofu

I had this happen before, so it's not a new thing. Pretty rare, though, in my experience, at least. I don't care about it one way or the other. I had forgot it happened until seeing this post.

Would I prefer for this not to happen? Of course. But it takes all of 2 seconds to delete and be done with it, so whatever. If I let crap like that get to me, then I'd just be walking around annoyed/pissed off all the time and that would suck.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it and immediately thought my girlfriends kid somehow bought it. I was so happy to see it was just a shitty ad. I bought the first Destiny and was kinda bored with it. I have no interest to play the second game at all and deleted it in a hurry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that’s fucked up. Even begging you to buy a digital download of a game you already own on disc (or already own a GOTY Bundled version of digitally!!) is ridiculous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.