Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

I got the PS4 Spider-Man Bundle, which other exclusives should I get?

fleasquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fleasquire

So I got the Black Friday bundle and finally got a PS4. I absolutely love this game and have to stop myself from playing it because I don’t want to beat it to quickly. What should my next stop be? I’m mostly talking exclusives here as I’m new to the PS library this gen.

I’m thinking Horizon or Infamous would be right up my alley. Last of Us remastered? God of War looks great but I haven’t played any since the very first and wasn’t a huge fan. Any other suggestions?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

I would recommend GoW the most. It's nothing like the previous games but it'll help that you at least played the 1st one for the narrative.

Horizon if you're feeling a traditional open world game. It's more of a platform showcase if you want to show someone why you bought the system.

It gets a lot of shit nowadays but I think you gotta play Uncharted 4 if you got a PS4 for the exclusives.

A lot of ppl swear by Bloodborne, though I can't speak from experience.

Until Dawn goes on sale a ton and that's a fun romp. My personal fav is Gravity Rush 2 but probably wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Worth looking into for sure. Actually, The Last Guardian might be my true favorite but I'd probably recommend that to even less ppl. The new hotness right now is Tetris Effect but again, can't speak from experience.

If you haven't play TLOU then that's a terrific cheap option. One of games of the gen from last gen.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Uncharted 4, Detroit Become Human, Dragon's Crown Pro, Persona 5 and the Shadow of the Colossus remake come to mind, tho a couple of those were also on ps3.

They aren't exclusive, but in terms of games in general I liked Street Fighter V, Night in the Woods, What Remains of Edith Finch and Tales from the Borderlands. If you like their respective genres, I think they're well worth checking out.

xkkzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you get PS Plus? Yakuza Kiwami is free on there as long as you add it to your library by tomorrow. Yakuza is maybe my favorite playstation series, though I guess they aren't exclusive anymore because 0 & Kiwami are on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd second all the above suggestions and suggest maybe playing all the Uncharted games, the first one's pretty dated now imo but the stories of the games tie together some and they're good dumb fun with some great character moments.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I dabble in Playstation stuff, being mostly an Xbox guy. Sony has some great stuff, especially single-player.

I’d suggest The Uncharted Collection (1-3). I played UC4 and didn’t really dig it. It got self serious, had too much filler, and took too long to get going. There were some nice character moments and the gameplay is the best it’s been, though. I own the DLC campaign, but haven’t played it.

The Last of Us is stellar, too. It should absolutely be experienced.

Yakuza Zero was a blast that I spent about 70-80 hours on. I fully intend to play the remakes of 1 and 2, and try to work my way up to 6 one day.

Infamous Second Sun will be a similar experience to Spider-man, but check it out. It’s cool.

God of War and Horizon are on my backlog.

I bounced off of Bloodborne, but maybe that’s just me. I’d like to try it again some time.

I think Until Dawn is a bad game. Writing, gameplay, everything. I find it corny in a 21st century teen horror movie way, which I just find boring. I was expecting something of an 80s throwback. I know plenty of folks around here like it. That’s cool. I thought it was bad.

I prefer David Cage’s much maligned Playstation games, so I’d suggest Heavy Rain and Beyond if you want narrative choice games. I got a copy of Detroit, but haven’t gotten to it to offer an opinion.

Hotline Miami 1 is amazing.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gravity Rush

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Infamous Second Son is pretty good not that similar to Spider-Man in that it's more of a shooter, and the traversal is obviously significantly different, but it might be a nice thing to play bouncing off of Spidey! Bloodborne is essential I think; everything about it is damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned. The Last of Us is great, but if you play it make sure to play Left Behind as well. I think it's actually overall a much better experience than the main game proper.

Also, it's a smaller title, but Bound is a lovely visual treat. Really recommend it.

Have fun!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fleasquire: I've made a list especially for this - some of these are available for PC these days and Nier has come out for XBOX as well but for the most part the list holds up.

PS4 exclusives you should think about owning

. inFamous: Second Son
    This game does a great job of showcasing all the PS4 gimmicks that were later completely abandoned by most developers. No one even remembers that the Dual Shock 4 has motion controls. A fun open world romp with pretty graphics and a framerate that some games coming out today could stand to emulate.
    . Journey
    Technically a PS3 title but now available on PS4 in full HD! Maybe even 4K by the time you're reading this!
    . Bloodborne
    A worthy successor to the Souls series, Bloodborne takes the classic formula into a nightmarish new direction. Although the game launched with some serious technical hangups, they have since been mostly smoothed out and the addition of DLC and a Game of the Year version make it a great bundle for would be "hunters" out for blood.
    . Helldivers
    Personally not my favorite game but it is a unique PS4 twin stick experience that definitely gets better with friends. The friendly fire is almost as unforgiving as the enemy horde so choose your compatriots wisely! (Also available on Steam)
    . The Order: 1886
    At the time of writing this game will be //probably// worth the asking price which should be no more than about $20 (USD!). Chase down werewolves in this steampunk alternate retelling of King Arthurs Order. Real pretty, real linear, real simple.. but sometimes thats exactly what you're looking for after a sprawling open ended RPG.
    . Thumper
    Strap in and let your brain melt away as Thumper beats against your senses in violent, rhythmic fashion. Stylish as all hell, overbearing and loud, this is a new age music rhythm game that can be experienced in VR or the old fashioned meatworld. (Also available on Steam)
    . Knack
    This is a joke, don't actually buy Knack.
    . Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    A summer blockbuster movie in game form with some heartfelt writing along the way, Uncharted 4 shines as one of the quintessential purchases for any PS4 newcomers and fans of the "Indiana Jones" genre.
    . Rez Infinite
    Back when the genre was booming Rez helped set the stage for music games to transcend simple note lines and be something more. Although at the time it's price point was a rather contentious topic, today it's great to re-live the memories in NEXT-GEN HD!
    . Until Dawn
    A surprise hit that no one saw coming, Until Dawn is Heavy Rain done right and a perfect game for a Halloween party. Control the fate of insufferable college kids out to have a good time in a cabin, in a dark scary forest, in the middle of nowhere.. what could go wrong! Who knows, by the time the credits roll you just might end up cheering for your favorites to make it through in one piece!
    . Ratchet & Clank
    A graphical showpiece for the PS4 as well as a throwback to oldschool 3D platforming. Jump around, collect junk and upgrade your arsenal as the Lombax hero you were destined to be.
    . Horizon Zero Dawn
    From the makers of Killzone.. no, no wait! Come back! An enormous surprise, breath of fresh air and a huge left turn for Guerrilla games, Horizon is not only a great showpiece for PS4 Pro owners that also have a fancy new HDR capable TV but also an interesting new IP in a sea of sequels. While you can clearly see at times that the studio is still learning the ins-and-outs of the open world genre, despite it's flaws it's an adventure worth experiencing.
    . Nioh
    Did you like Bloodborne? Well Nioh is a fascinating take on that style of game with slightly more historical roots. While it's not required to have any knowledge of feudal Japan, you will certainly get a lot more out of the story which is centered around the first ever western samurai and references famous historical figures such as the ever popular lord Nobunaga. With a robust combat system, loot and crafting, Nioh is a game that keeps on giving well beyond the initial run through the story.
    . Yakuza 0
    Technically a PS3 game, Yakuza 0 finally made it's way over to the West on the PS4. If you know the series then there is nothing to add. If not, this origin story is probably the best place to start with the most modernized mechanics to date, and a focus on the events that lead up to the original PS2 title from years back. If you end up enjoying "Zero" then there is a planned translation of the remaster for the first game that you'll be able to dive into.
    . Persona 5
    Super stylish, super charismatic and super Japanese. If you're looking for literally hundreds of hours of beautiful JRPG action then on PS4 it doesn't get any better than Persona 5. Despite the 5 you don't really need to have played the previous entries in this series to enjoy the story, and the game eases you into the rather complex mechanics at a leisurely pace. Part supernatural heist game, part teen high school simulator, Persona 5 is all fun.
    . NieR:Automata
    Did you play Nier? No? What is Nier? Well.. in Drakengard's E ending.. Ok listen, Nier is beyond definition and definitely beyond understanding, but it's an experience. The stylish brawling is just a bridge meant to ease you into the insane story at the heart of Automata. With several endings that require multiple playthroughs which unveil new gameplay mechanics and new story elements, this spiritual successor to Nier is probably what the original should have been, but as they say "all good things come to those who wait."
    . God of War
    A great narrative driven brawler and a return to form for Kratos, this God of War will take you on many journeys, but most of all it will show you that you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Casepb

I think my top PS4 games have got to be God of War and Persona 5. Infamous is very cool too. I enjoyed Gravity Rush 2, but I got stuck at a part with missiles blowing up buildings and never went back sadly. Both the Uncharted games are top notch. If you like racing Wipeout Omega is cool, I still play that, even though it's a remaster. Thinking about it, I think PS3 had a larger exclusives lineup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I think both of the Uncharted games released for PS4 are fantastic; the previous three are mediocre, imo, and not worth playing in this day and age.

Horizon and God of War are both good games worth playing.

I would not recommend Infamous but I was really turned off by the writing and characters, and you may be able to look past that stuff.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Alias

Resogun

fleasquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fleasquire

Thank you guys for all the solid recommendations!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Fire Pro Wrestling World is fantastic. I’m not really into wrestling, but I love wrestling games, and this one is one of the best

If you’re not into a sim-like wrestling game experinence, move along...nothing for you here.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: See, it was exactly the lack if Indiana Jones that turned me off from Uncharted 4.

I light my Uncharted light and fun. Drake was just such a sad character in that last game. It ruined the ribe for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@nutter: I can see your point but I guess personally I was ready for Drake to finally grow up, so it was interesting to see him be tired of all this crazy nonsense and just wanting to go home and play some Crash Bandicoot.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah, different strokes, and all. I’m happy people like it, just bummed out it wasn’t what I wanted from the series. I think I’d have been more down with it if it were a seemingly planned and gradual change over all four games as opposed to the time passed and shit got real approach (which is a totally valid way to tell a story).

There were a lot of things I disliked about UC4, but hey, a lot of folks liked that game a lot, which is cool, and there’s always the next puckish rogue...

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spider-man, GoW, and Tetris effect are the only games installed on my ps4

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@alias said:

Resogun

This is the one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.