Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is now the best time to get a PS4?

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I had posted recently if getting a PS4 is the right thing for considering that I also own an Xbox. I don't have the budget for the all the upfront cost of a gaming PC right now. But I definitely afford a console. My birthday is on August 2nd and I want to get a PS4 and play ABZU, a PS4 exclusive about the ocean which happens to be a thing I'm into. I also have desires and plans that are PSVR shaped in the future. I was also really impressed by the games shown at E3 and want some of the games coming out soon this summer and this fall, like No man's Sky and GT Sport. Do you guys think I'm good to buy the console? Are there any games you would recommend I play at this point? I missed out on all the first party exclusive games from the PS3 and PS4 up to now. Thanks for your time.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

It's probably literally the worst time. You should probably think about waiting until Sony announces the official specs and release date for the Neo.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, based on your criteria I would definitely recommend waiting to hear more on the NEO. At the minimum if you wait you'll be able to get a machine that will better handle VR than the original PS4. The only problem with waiting is you're likely to not play ABZU as well as those other games once they release.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I would say it is the worst time. When they announce the Neo, Sony will probably drop the price on the regular PS4 too.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

I'm waiting until the Neo comes out and tons of people are trying to unload their PS4's on the secondary market all at the same time. Although if I could get a PS4 today for $150, I probably still wouldn't buy one. Maybe once Horizon and God of War come out that'll change.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ezekiel

@ajamafalous said:

It's probably literally the worst time. You should probably think about waiting until Sony announces the official specs and release date for the Neo.

I wonder how much the rumor has hurt their sales over the last two or three months. But yeah, bad time. Personally, I wouldn't buy one at all. PS4 has no games.

No Caption Provided

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

The games are great right now with a solid library already built, but with the Neo around the corner the pricing's gonna shift around a bit.

If you wanna potentially save $50 eventually, wait. You want VR, wait. If you don't mind all that, then just buy the thing.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best time to get a PS4 was at launch.

There are games coming out that you want to play on a PS4 so that makes it a great time.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm willing to bet there will be a pretty decent price drop before the holidays to push systems and take the sting out of the VR's price tag.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for black Friday at this point. I'm sure retailers will be bundling tons of games to get rid of basic ps4s if you don't care about the neo

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might not be a bad time to grab a used one if stock is being cleared in order to make way for Neo and the flood of PS4 1.0s that are going to hit the market when Neo launches, but otherwise you might want to wait a bit.

At the very least I would wait to see if Abzu is any good before buying a system for it. there are plenty of games that I've gotten hyped up for only to find out that they didn't live up to expectations.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People will always tell you to wait because there is something better around the corner. Guess what? That is never going to change. Sony hasn't even announced a new console yet and Neo might be 12 months away. If you can afford a console, just buy one. I'm sure you can find a great deal on a pre-owned unit and there are plenty of great titles to keep you entertained.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is the best time to be playing video games

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not addressing the question directly, but I am amazed how good Uncharted 4 looks, and to most extent plays, on my near launch PS 4 right now.

Also I have a decent PC I am going to rebuild in a long year. Until my arm is twisted and near broke off by an exclusive game, no... a number of exclusive games crying for neo, well I'm just not in any hurry.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I am hoping for a PS4 slim. My PS3 is a slim (not the so called super slim), my PS2 was a slim and While I did own a regular PS1 I sold it for a slim when that came out. I prefer the slim versions.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've definitely been seeing some amazing bundles lately. A 1TB PS4 with Uncharted 4, Witcher 3 and Doom for the same price I bought my plain PS4.

It's a great time but it depends if you care about something "better" coming out in the not far off future. I'll tell you this, you get that PS4 now and you'll still enjoy a ton of great games and by the time the NEO games start to make significant use of the hardware at least 2 years will have gone by.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you could get a ps4 plus a couple of games for $299, Id say it's worth it. You could sell your Xbox if their exclusive lineup seems lacking to you (it does to me, but I'm not a big halo, gears, forza guy).

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@humanity: What the hell. Where did you find that bundle?!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is it a good time? Sure. The console is great and has tons of fun games available right now and coming soon.

Is it the "best" time? No. Considering Neo might come out later this year, the price on the regular PS4 is likely to drop along with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: I'm in Europe so I dunno what country you reside in, judging from the time of your posting it's possible that you're in Eastern Europe/UK? I found the bundle in Saturn although I checked the German site and they don't have that deal.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one last week. Got the white Destiny console (which is the clicky button model, not an attempt to get rid of old stock) bundle for £20 less than a standard.

Maybe not the best time if you're talking in pure £$£$s but, for me, it was time. The Steam Link's good and all, but I missed having a console.

If the base price drops by £50 (or more) in the next few months, so be it. If you think you've had a good deal when you buy something, you've had a good deal.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Trilogy

@humanity said:

@trilogy: I'm in Europe so I dunno what country you reside in, judging from the time of your posting it's possible that you're in Eastern Europe/UK? I found the bundle in Saturn although I checked the German site and they don't have that deal.

I'm in the US. I just stay up late. I'll end up just waiting for the Neo, unless I find some crazy deal on the original ps4.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'd largely go with this statement.

Best time to get a PS4 was at launch.

There are games coming out that you want to play on a PS4 so that makes it a great time.

That said, I'd probably wait just to see what more details we get on the Neo first. Just in case.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
    @ajamafalous said:

I wonder how much the rumor has hurt their sales over the last two or three months. But yeah, bad time. Personally, I wouldn't buy one at all. PS4 has no games.

No Caption Provided

Yeah you're totally right.. 0 games worth playing.....Sony should just stop production altogether....

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the consensus seems to be that I ought to wait it out. I think I could be a little more patient. I have very little attachment to Xbox at this point in time. I watched that press conference at E3 and felt almost nothing for what they had to show. Sony showed thing after thing and still has a better back library, for what I want from games. I see the Scorpio and I think to myself, "That's cool, but there's little to no business deals supporting it with games.". Playstation has been out there since before day one to get more and more games to come out on their platform. Microsoft slipped up considerably in that regard. I bought an Xbox One because I was confident about that relationship with small and mid-sized developers still being in tact and have been getting burned month over month by how many new and interesting games I can't play because they only come out on PS4. It feels like every other game that comes up on this site that is cool and interesting is a PS4 console exclusive with a PC release. A more powerful Xbox One does nothing for me if I still can't have access to the games I want. But a more powerful PS4 may be a great alternative for me. Although Playstation have been saying that it isn't that much more powerful and will be priced more expensively than a PS4 is right now.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@laxbro19 said:

Although Playstation have been saying that it isn't that much more powerful and will be priced more expensively than a PS4 is right now.

Not sure where you're getting that from?

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am holding off, want to know what the Neo really is.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: well then rest easy that for this one good bundle were getting fucked over sideways in pricing on literally everything else.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would hold off at least until we get some concrete information about how the PSVR will perform without an updated console. Unless you REALLY need to play Bloodborne right now, you gain nothing by buying right now.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, it is very likely that Neo is 16 months away from being available. If it were coming out in Oct/Nov they would have shown it off; since they said nothing at e3 it is 16 months away. Moreover, since Sony is insistent that Neo will be used only for 4K, you should ONLY wait for that if you have a 4K Tv. (BTW: Don't buy a current mid-prince 4K TV for gaming.)

So, if there are games you want, then get the system now. If there are no games you want yet, then wait. Anyone waiting for what Neo, is likely waiting for nothing that will be of use to them.

FURTHER THOUGHTS:

We are three years into PS4, we have at most three more year left. Buying a PS4 after this year means you are buying it two years before PS5. Neo won't actually do much more for games unless you have a 4K tv And, no I don't think Scorpio will change Sony's find. No I don't think we will be seeing 3 year system cycles. No, I don't think mid-term systems will be come "the way things are." I can't prove it, but I think Sony will release Neo as its "slim" model. I think the next big system cycle will be a PS5 in 2019/20. Just my opinion but I think Sony likes its position right now, I think they like their profit margin, and I think they know 3d parties will be eager to make games that get bought on the 40 million units they have today and the 50 million they have next by July of 2017. Sony and the development studios all have the knack of development and then next 12 months of games were designed to the current spec. If you haven't bought a PS4 already..well that's your call. However, the candle is burning and I think we are three years away form PS5 - that is they deadline for buy/no buy in my mind.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, it is very likely that Neo is 16 months away from being available. If it were coming out in Oct/Nov they would have shown it off; since they said nothing at e3 it is 16 months away. Moreover, since Sony is insistent that Neo will be used only for 4K, you should ONLY wait for that if you have a 4K Tv. (BTW: Don't buy a current mid-prince 4K TV for gaming.)

So, if there are games you want, then get the system now. If there are no games you want yet, then wait. Anyone waiting for what Neo, is likely waiting for nothing that will be of use to them.

FURTHER THOUGHTS:

We are three years into PS4, we have at most three more year left. Buying a PS4 after this year means you are buying it two years before PS5. Neo won't actually do much more for games unless you have a 4K tv And, no I don't think Scorpio will change Sony's find. No I don't think we will be seeing 3 year system cycles. No, I don't think mid-term systems will be come "the way things are." I can't prove it, but I think Sony will release Neo as its "slim" model. I think the next big system cycle will be a PS5 in 2019/20. Just my opinion but I think Sony likes its position right now, I think they like their profit margin, and I think they know 3d parties will be eager to make games that get bought on the 40 million units they have today and the 50 million they have next by July of 2017. Sony and the development studios all have the knack of development and then next 12 months of games were designed to the current spec. If you haven't bought a PS4 already..well that's your call. However, the candle is burning and I think we are three years away form PS5 - that is they deadline for buy/no buy in my mind.

Where are you getting this info? Sony isn't going to release a Neo and then 12-16 months later release a BRAND NEW console(according to your time-frame). If anything, consoles are trending toward the way mobile phones and just going to release upgraded version (The S/Neo/Scorpio) periodically and both companies trying to stretch out this 'generation' as long as possible.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FURTHER THOUGHTS:

I don't know where you are getting this info, since Sony has basically been radio silent on the Neo.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its literally the worst time if you actually don't care about PSVR. I don't plan to upgrade to 4k or get PSVR, All I want is to play sports games and weird console exclusives so I am considering getting one now. Honestly though no one knows when they will say anything about Neo and when it will come out. I highly doubt this holiday but then again I know nothing. A 50 dollar price drop all in all is not that large either.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Andrew House gave an Interview to the Finanical Times a few days before E3 and said that the Playstation NEO is happening, and that it will be priced higher than the PS4 currently is. Also The beast cast discussed the specs that Austin Walker verified and talked about it extensively on that episode back in March when the story first broke.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before any information on the Neo is out?

Loading Video...

Graveworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laxbro19: It always depends on you. its different for everyone. I had mine since launch and have enjoyed it since then. Add to that i also game on PC. Some games i preffered on PC, some other i bought on PS4 plus whatever exclusives i was interested into.

Playing Uncharted 4 and looking at whats coming up means you could get it now. But at the same time we know Neo is coming out soon.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

The best time would be around the holidays. Depending on the store you'll get either a discount or some nice extras thrown in, if not both. I got mine half off with Uncharted included on Black Friday last year.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damnboyadvance: I had not considered Black Friday as an option. Thank you for reminding me. I've been seeing PS4 with games and controllers for $280 so I thought, "Phssssss...sure, why not. Waiting seems like a good option as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.