Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is there a trick to fixing the PS4's wireless speeds?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My PS4 is about 15 feet from our router, and the speeds are pretty low and fluctuate. It's currently getting 16 Mbps, and is causing PlayStation Vue to constantly stop to say the connection is too low to continue. Our plan is 150 Mbps, and I understand I'm not going to get full speeds wirelessly. But a phone running a speed test next to the PS4 gets 42 Mbps. Are there any tricks, or is the PS4 just poor when wireless?

vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had the same issue when I got a new router. It turned out to be due to the channel used by the router for the 2.4Ghz network was to crowded in my appartment. If you have a Android phone you can use an app named "wifi analyzer" to see what channels can be better, e.g less interferens. Otherwise just try different channels on the router and see if one is beyter then the current one.

/Viktor

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're that close to your router, is running an Ethernet cable a possibility? That's how I have mine hooked up, and the speeds are great, 100 mbps.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 is 2.4GHz only and it's not even a good implementation of that.

You have two choices:

Use a wire to your network. Or you can buy an ethernet to wireless bridge (preferably 5 GHz) and connect it to that.

It's completely ridiculous that PS4 has not been revised to support 5 GHz WiFi yet.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have it hardwired. Speeds fluctuate greatly. Ran it and got 76 Mbps, then 32 Mbps, then 91 Mbps.

Playstation Vue's quality is pretty poor.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard on the bombcast that putting it in rest mode while stuff's downloading makes it go faster. That wierdly worked for me in a couple of cases, but just run an Ethernet cable if its that close. I get the full advertised 70mbps with a cable, while with WiFi it fluctuates anywhere between 5-30.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When I get frustrated by low download speeds on PSN I sometimes change the DNS to the Google one (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) and it gets a big boost. I don't know if that helps out with PS Vue as well, though.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

A Powerline adapter?

It doesn't help when PSN itself is being slow, I know, but I found speeds an awful lot better compared to the PS4's wireless with my specific router.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think all the real fixes to this issue are both hardware and software related. All the tools/Advice/options are explained online. What they don't tell you a lot of time is you want an explanation that fits with the equipment you are or have to use. There are no quick & great fixes. A proper solution is looking at all the parts in the chain and making sure they are set up correctly.

• If you can use Ethernet than do that, because that will give you the best connection. However, that is not enough, there are then DNS and Port setting to set up correctly.
    • If you can't use Ethernet, but your home's wiring is new and the router & PS4 are in the same section of the house a Power-line connection is just as good...AND AGAIN there are then thing you do to the connection to improve your up & down throughput.
    • If you have to use Wi-fi - well that okay - just look up how you can improve that. (With just wi-fi there is less you can do, but there are little things you can do.) Again teh proper solution means getting into you router/modem, setting up the PS4 and ports correctly, and making sure everything is up top date with firmware.

We all know devices DO NOT ships with the best/newest firmware installed, so do that leg work to make sure you router itself is actually running up to date and is set up correctly. After that follow the advice online and find the advice that is closest to you 'use case' scenarios with the equipment you will have.

HsingIBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HsingIBoxer
    ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ev77

As other's have mentioned the best solution is to just hook it up through a wired connection.

Search amazon/the web for either powerline adapters and/or wi-fi extenders (that have an ethernet port on them) if you can't run a cable directly from the router.

The extender is the more reliable option, but if you have a low quality router (where your wifi isn't that great even on your other devices), the powerline adapters may provide faster speeds and be just as reliable (depending on your house's electrical wiring arrangements). But you can only do so much, as the network card in the ps4 is basically garbage. I'm really, really hoping they upgrade it in the NEO.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ethernet is your best bet. Can't say I would recommend a powerline adapter, if you do purchase one make sure you are capable of returning it. While there are wiring standards, they are not always observed.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

The McElroy Brothers Advice should NEVER be taken....nor should mine.

I woudl think it would only take about 15 minute and the right parts to connect an external antenna to the PS 4. I think this because the ifixit.com site has instructions for a direct one-to-one replacement. Thus you SHOULD be able to connect another type of antenna to the same connector. An antenna that is bigger shoudl not be an issue as long as it is a wifi/BT antenna.

No Caption Provided

The one thing you need to know is the connector type of the NIC inside the PS4. I think it is the U.FL on the picture to the left, that is what most laptops use. So, let's say you wanted to use one of those fat antenna that screw-in - that a SMB. So you want a U.FL/IPX to SMA Female Extension Pigtail Cable. And you want one long enough to come out of the PS4 so you could connect the wire to the antenna, then mount the antenna on something. Or, you could drill a hole in the PS4 case to mount the SMB to the outside so you could just screw that antenna in without needing a stand.

So, again I have no done this...but IU give it a 80/20 shot or working!

The McElroy Brothers Advice should NEVER be followed....nor should mine.

...I suppose I should try this on my own. ...I can afford to break a PS4 for no good reason.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was great since launch, but the past month has gotten unbearable. Patches can take hours.

In fact, every networked application on it sucks (Youtube, Hulu, etc.) so I've slowly migrated to the Xbox being my primary app viewing thing. PS4 online games seem to work but everything else is awful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.