Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Launch Day Hunt

• 56 results
    firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So, my brother and I have agreed that the PS4 is the system we want to get first. But, we missed out on the pre-orders, but after reading about what hardware stocks will be like for retails chains like Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart, and Target...it sounds like Launch Day (and the eve of it, with midnight launches) might actually be a time when we could feasibly get one.

To be honest, I could probably wait, but there's a curiosity about what these system launches will look like on the ground, in person, that I'm interested in seeing. Kinda like what they talked about on the bombcast when the Wii U launched, and how some of the guys just got he fever and wanted to go see and try and get one.

So, it's looking like we might actually give it a try, and go out on a PS4 hunt on the night it launches, or on the day it does on the 15th. Atleast, if we think we could get one that is. I know it'll be a little chaotic, but that's one of the reasons I think I'm in. Is anyone else planning on it? Anyone have any tips? Or experiences with system launches they've gone through themselves? Are smaller stores actually better or worse usually to hit up?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

o boy. I never went to midnight launch of anything in the US but I have seen videos of Black Friday Rush on youtube. If this is going to be anything similar to that, you might want to wear armor out that night.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you're in an area that has any rural Wal-Marts, I'd check them out. We've got a big 24 hour one down the road that also has a Game Stop, and those places will be slammed, but I'm willing to bet almost no one will bother checking the smaller one 20 minutes away. They always have systems on launch day and Black Friday since they're overlooked in favor of the bigger ones.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flindip

Yeah fuck that. I paid my PS4 in full so I didn't have to go to some midnight release. I am the going the following day where I can walk in, wait in a short line, and walk out.

I would assume midnight release for this stuff will be sketchy as shit. No thank you….

I would say if you insist on trying: places like Gamestop or game specific "brick and mortar" places are going to be largely futile. I would pretty much guarantee their units have already been pre-sold...

Your best bet would most assuredly be large chains like Walmart….

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

That's gonna be a fun night!

Someone from Target I believe e-mailed the Bombcast a while back with some good advice. If you can find out which stores in your area are low-volume or low-traffic, I can't remember the exact term he used, and try to go there.

Apparently those stores typically have a comfortable stock of hardware while the higher volume stores would obviously go through the inventory quicker. Seems like something worth looking into unless you actively want the madness and risk of disappointment. >:D

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The trick is to not go to a typical game store (examples, like Best Buy, Gamestop, etc). The trick is to go to the places that sell video games, but also sell a ton of other things. Kmart, Walmart, Target, Meijer, or any other similar store in your area is the best bet. Remember that this console launches on a Friday, school day and work day for most so I don't think it will be that crazy out there. I have successfully snagged the Gamecube, Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360, by just walking into the store around 6 - 7 am.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By flindip

Also, I'm taking a hunch: I wouldn't be shocked if there were a decent amount of Xbones that will be readily available...

So if you aren't exactly partial to the PS4(you just want a next gen system); you may have more success scooping out an Xbone...

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine it'll be as crazy as Black Friday. Can it? Just seems like with Black Friday, because of all the different range of things on sale, you get everyone on a checklist to come out. Everyone is off from work and school, and everything from TV's, games, movies, clothes, furniture, etc. are all up for grabs.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but I have heard that Bestbuy hasn't been taking pre-orders in-store. So, everyone in line at midnight isn't picking up a pre-order. How much more likely that means they are to get one, I don't know, or if it's actually true. But, there is a smaller Bestbuy I usually go to for stuff. It's a few blocks away from a gamestop, and it's only a few miles away from a much larger Bestbuy, which is always packed with people for everything. It's really small, and pretty forgettable, parking lot mall that I think might be a good spot to hit up first. But, I keep thinking of something Ryan said on the bomcast about just how

But, I do like your idea IIGrayFoxII. I can think of atleast one place that might not be packed with people.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By firecracker22

@flindip: Yeah, I've been hearing that. Eventually, we'll get an Xbone. We're splitting the cost of the PS4, and probably next year we'll split the cost on the Xbone. But for this year, it's the PS4 we want.

@theht: I remember hearing it, but don't remember which bombcast it was. Do you? I might go back and listen to it. And, I can think of some stores that might fit the bill. I keep thinking of the bestbuy I shop at, where it's kind of out of the way and a couple miles away from the much larger one that is in the middle of a huge shopping center. That place is a nightmare to shop in winter and even on a weekend, but the smaller bestbuy I hit up is never as bad.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll never do a midnight launch again, only because it sucks investing the time in waiting to get the system, only to bring the system home and be fatigued and sleep.

For the 360 launch, me and some friends went to Walmart 14 hours before midnight and were 7th and 8th in line respectively. They stashed us back by layaway so we were out of the way of customers. Just lots of waiting on the hard floor, trying to pass the time. The staff was pretty cool about it, and the store manager brought us cookies and bottled water. It went much smoother than the Wii launch. We underestimated the demand for a Wii and the Walmarts we checked out were packed beyond the supply. We ended up going to Target. Since they're not open 24 hours, we had to wait outside in the cold until the store opened the next morning. We had people trying to cut into line in the morning, and the staff only came out an hour prior to opening to assign numbers.

What I'm getting at is, depending on where you live, if weather is an issue, invest the extra time to find a store that will let you wait inside until midnight.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AMyggen

@firecracker22: It will not be close to the Black Friday. As you say, the reason that's so crazy is because of the amount of different things on sale.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JazGalaxy

So, my brother and I have agreed that the PS4 is the system we want to get first. But, we missed out on the pre-orders, but after reading about what hardware stocks will be like for retails chains like Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart, and Target...it sounds like Launch Day (and the eve of it, with midnight launches) might actually be a time when we could feasibly get one.

To be honest, I could probably wait, but there's a curiosity about what these system launches will look like on the ground, in person, that I'm interested in seeing. Kinda like what they talked about on the bombcast when the Wii U launched, and how some of the guys just got he fever and wanted to go see and try and get one.

So, it's looking like we might actually give it a try, and go out on a PS4 hunt on the night it launches, or on the day it does on the 15th. Atleast, if we think we could get one that is. I know it'll be a little chaotic, but that's one of the reasons I think I'm in. Is anyone else planning on it? Anyone have any tips? Or experiences with system launches they've gone through themselves? Are smaller stores actually better or worse usually to hit up?

To quote the conclusion my brother and I came to driving all around town trying to score Xbox 360's on lauch day:

"Playing games on the 360 is not nearly as fun as playing the game of trying to get a 360."

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm doing that too. Couldn't place a preorder. Will probably go on a pre-hunt to check for expected non-preorder supply in a few stores around town and come back on launch night or launch day to engage in a fight to the death for who gets a day one PS4. That's how these things work, right?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Well, GAME here in the UK are offering a fast track service where if you pay in full they day or 2 before launch, you can get in a shorter queue to just collect your console at midnight. Combine that with never having been to a midnight launch before, as long as they say they have stock I'm really tempted to try this whole thing out.

I just wish I knew why. None of the launch games interest me, and I plan to upgrade my PC to an 880 and a new i7 when they come around (hopefully next summer). I just have this new console itch.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In Australia the stock appears to be artificially limited. every single store that would pre order consoles is not getting stock in until early JAN 14. i get the feeling its going to be impossible to find.

If i cant get it on launch day and be part of the hype im not interested.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By Killercombo

@chavtheworld: In GAME you are going to have a hard time getting a console now for launch, the general line: regardless of what store you go to is reserve for Christmas, I currently have both pre ordered with ShopTo, the problem is they want everyone to pay for there Xbox One's on Saturday so I need to decide quickly, to see if I am in the same boat as a lot of other people, the hype making me want it: as well as just selling my 360 a few days ago.

You should check if you're store(s) are doing any Lock - Ins, I went to the Xbox One event and wrote about it on the site an I am going to go to the PS4 one next week.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I have gotten ps2, 360, and ps3 on launch. Each area is going to be different, but I would expect there to be lines starting way before the launch day. For PS3 I remember that there were lines starting as early as 1 week early at some best buys that would allow it. I got mine by going to a kmart that wouldn't allow a line and had security there to keep people away. 360 I don't remember anything specific about the lines. I didn't have to stand in one(lucked out on a preorder) so I didn't pay too much attention. I think I remember there being lines starting as early as 3 days in advance. I got my PS2 on launch by standing in line at 10pm the night before. I was in a small rural area and went to an out of the way kmart. I was the first in line, and less than 20 people showed up that night.

Each new launch seems to draw bigger and earlier lines. But it will all depend on the area you are in and individual store policy. All it takes is a couple people to start the line for it to get going. So pick out your possible stores ahead of time. Check on their line status days in advance. Find out their rules for the line. Get in line as early as you possibly can. If lines start way way too early, find a place that doesn't allow a line Go there the day before and tailgate in your car. At some point they will say fuck it and a line will form. Remember that the number of systems that the store gets does not equal the number that they will have for sale. For things like this managers will break rules and let employees buy the consoles first. Earn good will with your line. You will be stuck with these people outside in the cold for way longer than you want to be. Things like coffee and donuts will make you a hero.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get shot.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman

Are there going to be videos of people buying a console just to smash it with a baseball bat in front of everyone else in line like last time? God, I hope so.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there going to be videos of people buying a console just to smash it with a baseball bat in front of everyone else in line like last time? God, I hope so.

This sounds pretty fucking fantastic.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman

@jjweatherman said:

It always is.

Loading Video...

I just realized that these videos will almost certainly be in 1080p this go-round. Excellent. Excellent.

And out of nowhere, I'm excited for the console launches.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one of the podcasts some gamestop employ mentioned that every gamestop will get the same amount of consoles at launch so you're best bet is going to be a small shop with low traffic.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my preorder at an EB Games, and that store is actually in a mall close to my house. So when I get off work next thursday, i'll be heading to the mall, catch a movie at the theater, then check out the lineup. IT's my first at launch console, so even with the preorder, I really wanna experience all this stuff. It's very exciting!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Maybe try Cosco or Sam's Club. I don't know if they'll have them day one for certain, but if they do, their customer base would be more limited than other stores.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: I just....don't get the point. Are they making a statement? If so, is it worth the wasted $600?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Bollard

@killercombo: Yeah, been doing some reading and it might be tricky to actually get one on launch anymore. What I'll do is go down to my local GAME after the 10th when they are doing PS4 Q and A sessions and ask what they think their stock will be like on launch day. If I can't get it at midnight I'll probably pass on the PS4 until after I upgrade my PC.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

o boy. I never went to midnight launch of anything in the US but I have seen videos of Black Friday Rush on youtube. If this is going to be anything similar to that, you might want to wear armor out that night.

Dude, I'm nervous about going and picking up knack during the day of the 15th. I'm hoping it's not going to be a terrible, terrible shit shot.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've thought about going before, and asking the people in store for information. But, everytime I think about it...I remember how everytime, everyone I ever speak to about anything in-store, don't ever know anything. And I remember the bombcast, where Ryan mentioned that usually any information you get prior could literally just wind up untrue on the day of launch for whatever reason.

Where I live, there are a couple of small out of the way stores. Places that are usually pretty empty. We might give it a look, and see, early on if there are lines forming in the day.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By agentboolen

@firecracker22: I'd first check amazon, but if you need it asap you might be able to get one at a computer store, say a Microcenter. Its gotta be a store that most people wouldn't think to go buy a system at this point IMO.

I remember the N64 and going to all kinds of stores like K-mart, Toys R Us and then I finally got lucky at some brand new electronic store (called Incredible Universe, bankrupt now a days I think) that just so happen to have a ton of them that day... Basically I got lucky, but these days I think things might be a little bit different with preorders at every store.

Just googled Incredible Universe and came up with an article about it. I got mine at the store of the old site of Roosevelt Raceway in Long Island NY, this place doesn't exist there but in 1994 this was the only reason I got a N64 on launch day, the memories of turning that system on with the then power house Mario 64, good times good times.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micemoney said:

@jjweatherman said:

It always is.

Loading Video...

I just realized that these videos will almost certainly be in 1080p this go-round. Excellent. Excellent.

And out of nowhere, I'm excited for the console launches.

It really goes to show how old these consoles are, I completely forgot about these gems that were all over the internet around launch day.

Now I too am excited for the new console launches.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you live in the U.S. and on the west coast, Fred Meyer is always a good bet. If you don't, you probably don't have a Fred Meyer's or even know what it is.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Try and find a store that will have stock to sell to people who haven't pre-ordered first by asking around now. Also you want to be lining up I'd say before 5pm because that's when a lot of people get off work and will mostly likely start heading to lines.

Pro tip though, prepare for disapointment. It's not a great tip but if you don't get a console it was literally a waste or your time. My cousin and I got burned at the PS3 launch, they only have 20 extra systems and we were 21st and 22nd in line.

But other than that launches are fun, if you're there long enough you might make some new friends, also you kind of become a line family, backing up anyone who tries to cheat the rules of the line. It's fun times.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Example1013

Bring a gun.

macgrill122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By macgrill122

I like midnight launches. I've waited outside late at night, for hours in some cases, for the original Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, WiiU, and oddly the Wii Fit. I think the only advice I can give is to check with the exact store you want to purchase your console at on the day before the launch. An associate or manager should be able to give you the number of systems that the store has, so when you line up later, you can count how many systems are already claimed so that you won't leave without a console.

The PS3 launch in my area was the craziest launch I have ever seen. We went to the same Circuit City where we had waited for 14 hours for the 360, but never even got out of the car. Security had created a perimeter around the store, and the store was not allowing anyone to line up at all. This resulted in roughly 80-120 people lined up across the street, waiting the the perimeter fence to be moved so they could rush the store, which had only around 10 consoles to sell. It looked like a scene from Braveheart, with the potential console purchasers lined up like the Scottish army, waiting to rush the English army in battle. I don't think you will see anything like that this time around.

Maybe I am wrong, but it feels like you will be able to just walk in and buy an Xbox One early on launch day. I wouldn't suggest that as a strategy, it just feels like demand will be lower than even the purposely reduced supply level. PS4, on the other hand, has sold out pre orders faster, which may mean that the supply will be less, possibly much less, than the Xbox One. It might also mean, as the email from the Target employee on the Bombcast said, that Sony wants to make sure there are plenty of consoles available in stores at launch, maybe to avoid scenes like the one I described above.

Personally, a few friends and I are thinking seriously about driving a few hours to NYC and trying to get a launch PS4 at the Sony Store in Manhattan. Might be crazy, might not even get one, but will definitely have a blast up there. The smartest plan, however, is probably to check with a lower volume Walmart, Target, or Best Buy, then line up at least 2 hours early.

Good luck!

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By firecracker22

Well, that's just a general tip in life I'd say. Always bring a gun everywhere.

I think MicroCenter could wind up being a beartrap. The one nearby where I live is always packed, and getting in and out of the parking lot for can be a nightmare.

So far, it's looking like Best Buy is the first plan on midnight. Probably try and get there at 8 or 9pm. If that doesn't work out, I guess we'll scattershot some stores like Wal-Mart and a gamestop. My ace up my sleeve would have to be KMART in the morning, though. It's probably a horrible plan...but it's alls I got.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Costco is said to be getting it on launch day in a bundle. Supposedly 1 free year of PS+ and an extra DS4 for $489.99

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to find one without a pre-order is super fun. You get like an adrenaline rush running from store to store. Unfortunately my friends and I pre-ordered three the first day it was revealed so we're set. We don't gotta hunt any down. Good luck though.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ColonelRick

(online) stores here in the Netherlands started selling through their pre-orders months ago -as far back as early august- and at that time I was not sure I wanted a Ps4. I'm still not entirely sure I want one at launch ( definitely getting one eventually) but if i'm able to find one in stores on the 29th, I may get it. I wonder if they'll actually have a decent amount of boxes in stores...Unless there's a clear shot at getting a box without going through a stampede, i'm not going to attend any midnight openings or what have you either. I want one, but not that badly.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By firecracker22

Truthfully, my pile of shame is big enough that I can wait. But, my brother really wants one. And since I'm going half on it with him, it's not going to cost me as much as most. And the best way I can describe my interest in going out to get one at midnight is that bombcast episode when they talked about going out and getting a Wii U. Hopefully, wherever I go it'll be civil and some horrible stampede won't break out. Hopefully.

That, and we just ordered three PS4 games in the Amazon B2G1F deal.

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Irishdoom

I'm thinking of going on the hunt for a PS4. I've always enjoyed trying to hunt down consoles on release day. :) Though I am liking the TV integration with the Xbox One, so maybe I'll do it next week. I'm still torn on which one I'd actually want. PS4 releasing first might just be the difference.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By firecracker22

So, my brother and I are set on doing it at the Best Buy we shop at. But, I've been doing some calling around just to know more about other locations where I live. And fuck me sideways, Best Buy sounds like the only real option where I live.

My local Walmart will be having a midnight release, but ONLY for people who've preordered. I was told I can come in on Firday morning, at 7AM, and possibly get a PS4. But, only if someone who pre-ordered one did not come get it. Personally, it sounds iffy to me that someone who pre-ordered their PS4 would lose it so soon. But, that place sounds like a waste of time to even try for me.

Called Gamestop, and was told not to even bother. They'll only have pre-ordered systems for pick up, and won't have any in stock until January or February. But, that there's some crazy sounding 'EPIC' Bundle that can be ordered through them, in-store, that'll cost $1,000.00. It'd, supposedly, take the regualry amount of business days to receive it.

So...yeah, Best Buy is where I'll have to put all my eggs. KMART, in the morning, if it doesn't work out.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firecracker22: About gamestop: a little bit of heads up on their policies. They will hold their pre-order systems for two days. So, perhaps if you go first thing Sunday; you might luck out(its an extreme reach though).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By mike

...Gamestop...there's some crazy sounding 'EPIC' Bundle that can be ordered through them, in-store, that'll cost $1,000.00.

I'm just going to put this away into my "Fuck Gamestop right in their stupid asses" file. Man, they are just terrible.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I can't wait to get a nice, deep sleep tomorrow night while UPS sends me my PS4.

drowgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By drowgamer

Best of luck to you all. I was super lucky, went into Gamestop at 5:00 last night, waited a hour and paid for a console in full. I then went back at midnight to pick it up. Because I came in store so early the first time I was 5th in line to get my PS4.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude Costco no one thinks to come here. We have 40 or so and have not sold a one yet lol. So if you have one in your town try it

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have gotten hype over the past 24 hours or so for a PS4. So I'm leaving it up to fate; on the 30th (day after release in ye olde Blighty) I am going to walk into various establishments and attempt to buy one. If I can, great. If not, I will hold off until... I dunno. MGS 5?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck, man!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Several Walmarts in my area have them all in stock, pretty weird considering this is a college town

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.