Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Next Gen Dead Space

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How does it look? You guys think we can expect a Dead Space for next year? If so, when?

Will there be an announcement at E3, sooner or later?

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember where I got this from but I seem to remember the indication was that Dead space was done, at least for a while.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@bane122 said:

I don't remember where I got this from but I seem to remember the indication was that Dead space was done, at least for a while.

A yup, I definitely remember reading something similar too. But then, Gears of War was also said to be put into hiatus after Judgment and it didn't take long for a new one of those get announced, so...

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love for them to go back to survival/ horror on a giant space ship, but maybe have that ship be "open world" in a Metroidvania style fashion, or maybe an entire game that is like the first part of Dead Space 3, going between ships, fixing parts and floating in space.

A next gen Dead Space game would be great, Dead Space 3 was a misstep but the decisions felt driven by trying to please a very large focus group, rather than what fit with the series. However, I don't know if Dead Space 3 hit its ridiculously unrealistic sales quota, so who knows if we'll see one of those games ever again, let alone soon.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yummylee said:

@bane122 said:

A yup, I definitely remember reading something similar too. But then, Gears of War was also said to be put into hiatus after Judgment and it didn't take long for a new one of those get announced, so...

Well, they haven't really announced a game, and under the circumstances development would have to have just started. If we're generous and give Black Tusk 2 years, that's early 2016 at the soonest (though it will likely be at least 3-4 years given it's a new platform and dev team). So, we're looking at 3-5 years between the next Gears and Judgement, which is what passes for a hiatus when previously there were 4 games in the span of 6.5 years.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By rorie

I'm pretty sure EA said that DS3 didn't do well enough to justify a sequel. A shame because I really liked that game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Bummer if it is gone for good. The first Dead Space is one of my favourite games of the last gen.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rorie: Shouldn't this be in the Dead Space forum?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This franchise started out good, but as the series went on it was increasingly being designed by focus groups and EA suits going "Our market research shows OH GOD WE HAVE TO APPEAL TO THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR FOR THIS GAME TO BE AT ALL PROFITABLE". Not saying they're assholes, maybe that's true, but it did make the game shittier.

And from the sounds of it, Dead Space 3 sold kinda bad, because it turns out when you try to appeal to the lowest common denominator so transparently, A) it doesn't actually rope in that many new people because "oh shit it has weird fucking co-op where you get to be an army man" isn't actually enough to draw people away from CoD and Battlefield and Gears of War and that was never going to work, and B) the bad reviews of the game drove away many of the series' long-time fans.

3 is just a poor closer for the trilogy. At least we'll always have Dead Space 1 and 2.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By MEATBALL

I doubt it would happen but I wish it would. :( I loved the series and actually liked Dead Space 3 more than Dead Space 2, because I'm a terrible person.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your comments are not positive :P haha. So you do not believe Dead Space 4 is in development?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By big_jon

This is an odd thread. But Deadspace needs a break after 3. I love the franchise and I would expect another one eventually, but I'm not sure what they could do to get me excited again. And I'm of the belief that the the first two are some of the best games of last Gen.

Also Viceral is supposed to be working on a police themed BF game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I would be down for a new Dead Space game, just go back to what made those games great.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's an odd thread, but I am trying to think what will make me eventually buy a PS4. A ground zeros near-demo isn't enough. It was Dead Space after all that caused me to really start liking my PS3, despite all the noise at the time. Now I am more inclined to turn on my PS3 than my Xbox360. I will be next month.

But nothing is pushing me yet for a PS4. There isn't that Dead Space like game with other worthwhile titles happening.

As for Dead Space as a thing, well I never got the third of the series. Guess it's dead spaced to me unless they can really do the things they originally did so well. Isolated Survival Horror with a decent dollop of shooter. Really filled 2 niches.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marcsman

Dead Space 3 killed this franchise for me. Awful....................................

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@marcsman said:

Dead Space 3 killed this franchise for me. Awful....................................

Dead Space 3 killed the franchise for everyone. Mostly in a literal sense, but also in a figurative one.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By awesomeusername

I could use a break from Dead Space, especially after recently beating DS3. It was a solid game but an awful Dead Space game. Let EA get their shit together and not try to appeal to everyone with every single game of theirs. Then we'll talk about DS4.

I could use a new DS game in 4 years.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust

I say to let it rest, as it has become a kind of RE5 clone. Maybe if there is a horror resurgence it will be something worth playing.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of the few people who LOVED Dead Space 3. Carpenters The Thing and Alien has always been the pitch for the series, and I appreciated how the game basically blended those two movies even more directly than ever. The gun building system was fun, the Ellie relationship with Isaac is exactly what I wanted a lot more of after 2, and the space moon was completely bonkers in just the kind of way I love. It's not a perfect game, but I put it with Uncharted 3 in the "games that are unfairly short changed because of the legendary predecessor" camp.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

@meatball said:

I doubt it would happen but I wish it would. :( I loved the series and actually liked Dead Space 3 more than Dead Space 2, because I'm a terrible person.

I'm asking this in as serious a tone as possible:Why? And disregard what I'm about to say next, I'm genuinely curious about your reasoning.

@sarnecki said:

I'm one of the few people who LOVED Dead Space 3. Carpenters The Thing and Alien has always been the pitch for the series, and I appreciated how the game basically blended those two movies even more directly than ever. The gun building system was fun, the Ellie relationship with Isaac is exactly what I wanted a lot more of after 2, and the space moon was completely bonkers in just the kind of way I love. It's not a perfect game, but I put it with Uncharted 3 in the "games that are unfairly short changed because of the legendary predecessor" camp.

Except Uncharted 3 isn't markedly worse than Uncharted 2. Setting aside my rather low opinion of both games, Uncharted 3 doesn't gut the Uncharted formula and replace it with a bunch of fast zombies that run at you in a series where there used to be only a handful of fast zombies that the controls were tuned for. Uncharted 3 also didn't have you go through same-y side missions through cut-and-paste environments. It's actually pretty safe to say that if you like Uncharted 2, you'll probably like Uncharted 3, whereas Dead Space 3 has some real issues. It's not unfairly short changed, it's got some pretty serious problems. It's the Alien 3 to Alien and Aliens, so I guess they followed that formula pretty goddamn well.

Speaking of...

@arbitrarywater said:

@marcsman said:

Dead Space 3 killed the franchise for everyone. Mostly in a literal sense, but also in a figurative one.

...this is true, but EA and Visceral might as well go all the way and make Dead Space Resurrection.

EDIT: And get Ron Perlman a role in that game!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

I would love to see a Dead Space game on the new consoles. I don't think it's going to happen though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

If it's a 3rd person Metroidvania/Horror game in a derelict Space Station? Yes. I do want that very much.

If it's just more Deadspace? I had my fill. It was great once. Good twice. And just about enough trice. Thank you.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've never even bothered to play DS3, and I'm a fan of Survival-Horror games. I think DS4 will just be even more action packed. Once a company goes into the abyss they'll fall forever, just the angels.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brendan

The release of the first game in this series was met with celebration because it represented an embrace of new IP from EA at the time. It seems odd that we would want it to continue ad infinitum now. Bring on the new ideas!

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sarnecki

Except Uncharted 3 isn't markedly worse than Uncharted 2. Setting aside my rather low opinion of both games, Uncharted 3 doesn't gut the Uncharted formula and replace it with a bunch of fast zombies that run at you in a series where there used to be only a handful of fast zombies that the controls were tuned for. Uncharted 3 also didn't have you go through same-y side missions through cut-and-paste environments. It's actually pretty safe to say that if you like Uncharted 2, you'll probably like Uncharted 3, whereas Dead Space 3 has some real issues. It's not unfairly short changed, it's got some pretty serious problems. It's the Alien 3 to Alien and Aliens, so I guess they followed that formula pretty goddamn well.

But I would make the argument that 3 is just as good as 2. You can't really just state that it isn't and expect me to bow to the facts, cause it's not a fact. It's your opinion. I honestly can't remember what you're referring to here. Yeah there was a new creature type that was basically just fast corpses, but it's not like 90 percent of the game was pasted with them, in fact I'd say it was only really one section before we got back to the usual Necro business. If anything 3 didn't try enough new villains.

I think it's symbolically appropriate for our disagreement that I mention I kind of really dig Alien 3 The Directors Cut.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, apparently Visceral's next game is an "open world Star Wars game". I think Dead Space won't be resurrected until quite some time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.