Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

No DLNA or MP3 support on PS4 (at launch)

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Sony has put out the "ultimate faq", which is apparently their attempt to rip defeat from the jaws of victory. The PS4 will not feature DLNA or MP3 support.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Unbelievable. Both were features I use extensively on my PS3, and I know of other people did, too. Seems insane that this would be looked over, I can only think it was a conscious effort by Sony to force people into their Music Unlimited and video services.

I am so close to just calling it quits on next gen for now, after almost a year of being super hyped about the PS4, the wind has left my sails pretty much completely today with this FAQ.

UPDATE: Have had some info shared with me from someone who indicates this isn't a permanent situation, at least the DLNA part. Nothing official yet, but sounds promising.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

MUSIC UNLIMITED DOG, WHO NEEDS MPEE3's NOW WHEN YOU GOT THE CLOUD IN YOUR HEART

Seriously though: it's dumb, but doesn't really affect me. I'm going to be using this thing to play games and maybe rent movies once in awhile. I got my music situation covered. Though it would be nice if they added it in at some point.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Does that mean I can't copy my MP3s onto the PS4 via a USB stick (which I did on my PS3)? That sounds crazy! But I also almost never actually listened to music on my PS3.

But I see why a fair number of people would be upset with this stuff. Hopefully they add it in later.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

That's really, really stupid.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By geirr

I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order an hour ago and reading this makes me slightly more happy I did so. Not that I care about mp3 or DNLA but that really sucks for the people affected by this.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

What does this mean though? A search tells me that DLNA is basically a media sharing system, so does this mean you can't watch movies from your PC on your PS4?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will PS4 be able to automatically download game patches?

Yes, all PS4 users will be able to automatically download and install game patches to their PS4. In addition, PlayStation Plus members will enjoy the ability to have those automatic downloads happen while the system is in standby mode.

Can I continue playing on a PS4 while a game patch is being auto detected, downloaded, and installed?

Yes, you can continue playing on PS4 while the game’s patch is being auto detected and downloaded. But depending on the game, you not be able to access online features until all the update data is installed. To install any game patch, users must close the game.

THANK GOD

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess it's older news but I was floored by this when looking through the FAQ:

Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?

No, PS4 does not support audio CDs.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aw and i like being able to do that stuff.

but its no biggie for me at least, as i have my pc next to my consoles.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lame!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very silly.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

What does this mean though? A search tells me that DLNA is basically a media sharing system, so does this mean you can't watch movies from your PC on your PS4?

That's exactly what it means.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?

No.

What the hell are we even paying for then?

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
    deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad move by Sony. Also, you can't change your PSN ID and you can only share through facebook (I believe). The first major set of screw ups by them for the upcoming generation.

I hope Microsoft has some of these features available to people as an alternative.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

@xyzygy said:

Wow that seriously sucks. Why would the remove this feature? I use this stuff so much on current gen. Hmm. Really strange of Sony to do this.

Also, can't listen to audio CDs? What the actual fuck?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yillb said:

Cds in 2013? why?^^

The media server stuff really sucks especially when it was working on Ps3... Guess even Sony fucks up once a while.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use media streaming or MP3s on my PS3, so this doesn't really change how I would use a PS4.

Sucks that they are removing features people like about their last console, though.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@krakn3dfx said:

@xyzygy said:

Wow that seriously sucks. Why would the remove this feature? I use this stuff so much on current gen. Hmm. Really strange of Sony to do this.

If you have Twitter, feel free to retweet my comment to Sony, maybe if enough people call bullshit on this, Sony will take notice.

https://twitter.com/Krakn3dfx/status/395609351303348224

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

People listen to music on their console? What? Am I the only one that never does at all?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@darji: "Guess even Sony fucks up once in awhile"

It's funny how quickly people forget Sony's near constant fuck ups with the PS3.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli

@krakn3dfx said:

@xyzygy said:

Shame, I'd enjoy streaming stuff from my PC onto the TV via PS4 in my Wi-Fi network. Oh well, I'll just stick with USB devices then. Or just buy a PS Vita TV dongle.

No biggie though, because I get my PS4 for gaming mostly, media functions are but the cherry ontop. Let's just hope Sony's streaming services will be attractive in both price and selection. If they eventually manage to have a global market mirror on offer (everything there was, is, and is releasing day 1 worldwide), the potential of the internet as an all encompassing library would be finally realized.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No MP3?! What the hell is this?! A GAMEBOY?!?!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Man this is really fucking dumb. They've gotta change it now.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@darji: "Guess even Sony fucks up once in awhile"

It's funny how quickly people forget Sony's near constant fuck ups with the PS3.

I have not forgotten it but recently and especially with the Ps4 they did everything right so far except maybe this^^

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Don't worry, Sony will prove themselves to be proper fuck ups too, just give them a chance!

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikey87144

That's stupid. I, and many people, used that feature quite extensively. Why is that not just something it does?

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is ridiculous. Why would they not include DLNA support?

You know what? This isn't really surprising. Sony has always over promised when it comes to hardware launches. People fall for it every time.

No suspend/resume, no bluetooth support, no dlna

I wonder what bad news they will have next week.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@yillb said:

That seems crazy, but I honestly don't know the last time I used a cd to listen to music

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: You are 100% right and I totally agree. It's mostly that I just lumped CD/DVD/Blu-ray playback functionality together.

It's also the brand of firsts for me: PS1 first CD player, PS2 first DVD player, PS3 first Blu-ray player.

And part of me thinks they didn't include it because you can rip CDs on PS3, so if they don't have MP3 support and they maybe didn't want to include it so people didn't ask about it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

I wonder if this is something that can be implemented in the future or if it's something they can't do because the current hardware wasn't designed around with it in mind. After researching DLNA it seems that a device must earn the DLNA certification in order for it to access other systems over a network - this makes me think that it's not just software.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What about 8 tracks?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this is super weird, I guess I can see them wanting to push Music Unlimited tho. Serious question, do people really listen to music while playing a game? I mean I kind of get doing that while grinding in MMO or something but console game? This is the same feeling I have about cross-game party chat, I guess I just want to actually bath in the actual game that I just bought instead of hearing my friends talk over a cut-scene or something but yea seeing as how ps3 can do this ps4 not allowing it is pretty stupid.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad move by Sony. Also, you can't change your PSN ID and you can only share through facebook (I believe). The first major set of screw ups by them for the upcoming generation.

I hope Microsoft has some of these features available to people as an alternative.

They should just change the share button to a Facebook button.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yillb said:

@darji: You are 100% right and I totally agree. It's mostly that I just lumped CD/DVD/Blu-ray playback functionality together.

It's also the brand of firsts for me: PS1 first CD player, PS2 first DVD player, PS3 first Blu-ray player.

And part of me thinks they didn't include it because you can rip CDs on PS3, so if they don't have MP3 support and they maybe didn't want to include it so people didn't ask about it.

The no MP3 support makes totally sense because of their own music program. It is a bad thing for customers for sure but it is an understandable business decision. Personally I don't care because I never use listen to music on my console or listen to different music than the games music when I play but I understand that people are upset about this.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Can you buy mp3s from Sony Music Unlimited?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977: I've never listened to music while playing a game on the Ps3, and in fact I've barely listened to music at all on my Ps3, but occasionally I'll use the playback functionality to listen to a Bombcast. This seems like a minor inconvenience, but such an utterly trivial and shitty one that I can understand why people would be irked by it. Not really sure I get the "pre-order canceled!" level of outrage, but it is a very silly thing they can, and should, undo.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this is super weird, I guess I can see them wanting to push Music Unlimited tho. Serious question, do people really listen to music while playing a game? I mean I kind of get doing that while grinding in MMO or something but console game? This is the same feeling I have about cross-game party chat, I guess I just want to actually bath in the actual game that I just bought instead of hearing my friends talk over a cut-scene or something but yea seeing as how ps3 can do this ps4 not allowing it is pretty stupid.

When I play RPGs and i'm doing some extra stuff I like to stream music from my PC collection straight to my Xbox. Obviously not while doing story stuff.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@xyzygy said:

@krakn3dfx said:

@xyzygy said:

They didn't remove the feature, they just didn't include it. There is a difference.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like an odd thing to leave out. Not really a deal breaker for me, but it was a cool feature to be able to play music during games in the early days of the Xbox 360. This seems like something that could be patched in later, but in 2014 even your toaster will have mp3 support. Heck even the 3DS has mp3 support.

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Just like the Xbox One it's their console and their choices and if they want to try to push people toward their service I'm fine with that.

It was just really surprising to me to see that because I would never have thought that would be something they would remove until they went disc-less.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Why is this an issue?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EXTomar

Kind of a bummer since the DLNA support for the PS3 was way way way better than it was on the 360.

What I wonder is happening is that these features are taken out of the OS and stuck in an app which is far less desirable. :/

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

@xyzygy said:

@krakn3dfx said:

@xyzygy said:

They didn't remove the feature, they just didn't include it. There is a difference.

I'm talking about removing it from something they've established with the PS3. I can listen to my MP3s and watch movies while streaming from my PC on my PS3.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more confused by their list of launch games. I get that they didn't want to include games coming out the following Tuesday (though they really should have), but where are the launch F2P games like DCUO and Warframe?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Not being able to use custom playlists in driving games etc. is kind of a bummer, but not a huge deal. And all this stuff can probably be patched in later if it becomes a big issue for consumers.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By emfromthesea

Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?

No.

What the hell are we even paying for then?

Aw.
    No more listening to the 2001: A Space Odyssey theme, whilst watching that panning shot of the Earth. :(

Sony4LYFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UPDATE: PS PLUS subscribers only pay 49$

Thank you Sony <3

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

What's DLNA?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.