Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Playstation 4 gives you no control over downloads!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Memu

PS4 is over a year old now, right? I just picked one up today. The thing is still missing the most basic functionality. I am both angry and perplexed.

So it comes with Batman, so I shove Batman into it. It wants to download a 4GB+ patch. I let it. I go to my PC, network is unusable because PS4 is hogging it all to download the Batman patch. I go to the PS4 and search for a PAUSE on the downloads. There is none! I look in settings to see if you can control bandwidth usage and set times of day to do downloads. No such settings exist. I had to shut off the PS4 connection to the internet to get it to stop downloading Batman patch.

My internet connection is between 600-700MB/s. It will take about 3 hours to download that patch. You gotta give me control over downloads!

No one makes a stink about this? It is ridiculous!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

You can totally pause downloads! You go into Notifications, then downloads and press X on the download.

Unless I'm crazy...

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@memu: you could turn off the console, that'll stop it from downloading. But yeah, there should be options to limit network usage and stuff. The PS4 was designed for the ideal internet connection, I feel. I get great speeds so I can download games and do other stuff no problem, but I feel for people who have to find workarounds because the PS4 hogs so much bandwidth so often.

clutch414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By clutch414

@karlpilkington: You're correct. You can absolutely pause downloads on PS4.

A big pause symbol will appear over the download status bar.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Memu

@clutch414: @karlpilkington: No. All it gives you is "Delete" option whenever you click on a download, under "Notifications" or elsewhere.

EDIT: Now it is pausing when I click it under "Notifications", at least. I am sure it was only giving "Delete" earlier.

Cool. Thanks! I am happy I can at least pause it.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @memu said:

@clutch414: @karlpilkington: No. All it gives you is "Delete" option whenever you click on a download, under "Notifications" or elsewhere.

It gives you the delete option when you press the Options button, just pressing X should pause it.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just click on the pause button on the download menu.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You can definitely pause downloads. At least on the firmware the UK version is using.

No Caption Provided

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking at mine right now. Hitting the options button gives you the delete option. Hitting the X button pauses the download.

Downloads on the PS4 are pretty piss-poor though. It's telling me it's going to take 3 hours to download 1.3GB at the moment. I downloaded Cities: Skylines (just under 4GB) on steam the other day in under 10 minutes...

The only way to live with it really is to just try and schedule all of your downloading for when you're asleep and it is on standby, but in an era of 4 gig day one patches...

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For the record the pause option only got in this year I believe. It took them months to add that ability, which is fucking nuts.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hit X on the download and it pauses. It's that easy.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure there is a way to at least pause a download on the PS4. As far as managing the download speed, keep in mind that this is a console and not a PC application. Most people on consoles don't worry about download speeds. They just care about getting whatever game or DLC they need as fast as possible. Can SONY include such speed management in a patch? Sure they can. But why would they want to? It would just confuse the average console gamer. Could they have it as an option at least? Of course they can. Would they do it? Again, considering the average console gamer, probably not.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You should have complained about this in the year that they didn't actually let you pause downloads. I know I did, many, many times. But yeah, they added a pause to downloads as many said.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Looks like this can be closed now, no need for another page full of replies all saying essentially the same thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.