Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

'PlayStation TV' gets trademarked.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

It seems to be a that Sony has had an old television "app" trademark since 2006. It has recently been refined since June 26th, 2013.

No Caption Provided

IGN: Sony Submits Trademark Application For 'PlayStation TV'

It does seem to be that both consoles are being made for mainstream audiences, much more tightly than before. I'm thinking this 'PlayStation TV' app will at least do something similar to what Microsoft is doing with live TV. Yea I edited it. Oh well.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By NoobSauceG7

That's cool that it is in there. I may not use it like whatever might be in the Xbox One since I am not lazy enough to change the input, but at least it is another checkmark and adding to the competition. Only difference for me still between the two is how Xbox focused on this during their reveal and PS4 was all about the games.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

as long as it aint invasive its fine by me.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope its just 24 hours of The Tester

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This must be what that nervous, overly-tanned guy was talking about at the E3 conference.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well now that Playstation is doing it,

TV is Awesome and should be standard on a console.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

And so I ask Sony the same question I asked Microsoft: it's great and all, but why in god's name would I use it when Nintendo TVii is the exact same thing and I don't use that?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Seppli

I just hope that that's Sony trying to establish a global streaming service that's not crippled by current local market realities. Around my parts all the VoD services are horrible, and there's nothing akin to Netflix Streaming at all. Hell - most of them don't even offer original VOs. God I hate German translations so much. It can only get better.

The restrictions movie & tv show distributers impose on streaming services are so fucked up. Squandering the potential of the internet, setting us consumers back a decade or even more. God dammit.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@iamjohn said:

And so I ask Sony the same question I asked Microsoft: it's great and all, but why in god's name would I use it when Nintendo TVii is the exact same thing and I don't use that?

Oh god, I totally forgot that was a thing that existed. Did that thing ever launch?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope someone at some point fixes cable TV, don't care who dose it. Every DVR i've had screws up far to often, doesn't have enough space, and the features could be much better. Give me a service that has all major shows on demand all the time, some nice features and doesn't screw up once a week and i would gladly pay.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh? So from the comments so far it's OK if Sony integrates TV into there system but fuck MS for doing it.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I hope its just 24 hours of The Tester

So does David Jaffe.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Huh? So from the comments so far it's OK if Sony integrates TV into there system but fuck MS for doing it.

I'm guessing if Sony does something like this on the PS4, it'll be more of a downloadable app than integrated into the game console. It's still not anything I'm interested in, but as long as it's not hogging up almost half of the system RAM by default like Microsoft's implementation, godspeed to them.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So wait, what was that Playstation 3D TV/monitor from 2011 (I think) called?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

Sure, as long as it isn't the main focus of the console, why not?

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This picture was uploaded 2 weeks ago.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011 said:

I'm guessing if Sony does something like this on the PS4, it'll be more of a downloadable app than integrated into the game console. It's still not anything I'm interested in, but as long as it's not hogging up almost half of the system RAM by default like Microsoft's implementation, godspeed to them.

exactly, sony will make it a peripheral focus of the console, but keep the core of it about games.

microsofts pitch came off as the exact opposite.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so what happens when we all just start watching tv and not playing viga games, what then???

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, now we know what PlayStation TV is all about, it about streaming content if they can sign a deal with Viacom and others. I like that this streaming service will be called something simple like PlayStation TV and not something weird like Crackle.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Corvak

I find it funny that the console makers seem to be so interested in partnering with cable providers, while their core demographic is moving away from cable subscriptions.

This could work out better, though. If cable providers and console makers can provide an a la carte streaming package - not having to buy a $50 package for three channels i'd actually watch - it is then something I can get behind.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Tesla

So this Sony/Viacom deal looks like you'll be able to stream individual channels.

I love it, this is how you integrate TV with a video game console! As someone who doesn't have a cable box, I can actually use this kind of service (unlike Microsoft's TV integration). There are only a handful of channels that I miss having, can't wait to pay for them without having to deal with the rest of the crap I never watch.

Here's hoping this opens the floodgates for the other providers to make similar deals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.