Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Error Code E-801809A8

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regularassmilk

So I'm coming up on my thirteenth day without a fully-functional PS4. I haven't been able to update to the new firmware (5.00), my console citing the error code in the thread title. There's a big long thread on the European Playstation forums (that's not really worth linking to) that has 125 pages and over 250,000+ views. The error seems to be related to a damaged or a broken blu-ray drive. I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else here was encountering this, and see if they've had any bright ideas. Playstation seems to be funneling us toward some kind of specialized support as of recently, so I'm not sure they're going to right this in a optional patch anymore. Not a lot of good info out there.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Does your blu-ray drive still work/been changed in the past?

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By regularassmilk

@webby: Nah, it's been busted for quite some time--maybe around two years? I have a four-year-old son who might have accidentally broke it, but then later I noticed that the PS4 was kind of wedged under my TV, and that my TV was putting some pressure on the system, which probably had something to do with it as well. I (maybe foolishly) decided to take it apart a few times to inspect and clean the ribbon cables, but I haven't succeeded in doing anything besides removing the warranty sticker, stripping, and losing a few screws.

Disc drive or not though, it had received updates with no issue whatsoever for a long time.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@regularassmilk: Yes the latest update 5.0 is either

1. Trying to update the blu-ray driver and when it fails gives you the error

2. They are purposely preventing users from updating if the drive has been tampered with (perhaps some security issue?).

Hopefully it is the former and another update will be released for those affected by this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.