Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Pro X HDCP 2.2

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just wanted to let you duders know a tip I found out the hard way.

I do not have a 4K TV yet and noticed certain video apps on the PS4 Pro keep erroring out saying I don't have HDCP 2.2.

The fix I found was to boot into safe mode (shut down the PS4 Pro and turn it on holding the power button till you hear the 2nd beep) and changing the HDCP from Auto to 1.4.

Now the video apps are doing the correct handshakes.

Hope this helps some of you out there.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yup, I had to do this in order for the Pro to properly display 4K on my tv. It would normally just to go black which is ridiculous because my tv has HDCP 2.2. Sony needs to fix this bullshit

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

So, even if my QHD monitor could display higher res PS4 games in QHD, I would get that message. You suck, Intel/Sony! If somebody wants to make a copy of a movie and illegally distribute it, they're gonna do it, with or without HDCP 2.2 or 2.7. You're only hurting the consumer.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: I don't know if a ps4 pro can output native resolution to a 1440p monitor. I thought they would only recognize 4k displays. Some games like Uncharted 4 run at 1440p but only if the console thinks it's running on a 4k display.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ezekiel

@colourful_hippie said:

@ezekiel: I don't know if a ps4 pro can output native resolution to a 1440p monitor. I thought they would only recognize 4k displays. Some games like Uncharted 4 run at 1440p but only if the console thinks it's running on a 4k display.

A downscaled 4K image on a QHD display still looks better than a Full HD image. That one colorful island puzzle game allows you to play in 4K and QHD, and it won't be the last. Though, after looking into this, it seems the HDCP 2.2 is more problematic with apps than games. This DRM is still garbage, though. I would prefer DisplayPort.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: but what I'm saying is if the Pro can even detect what resolution your display would be. The resolution options in settings are just the standard HD options then 4k

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

Drm that punishes average users is always bad, especially with something most people don't even know about. I consider myself a bit *tech savvy* at least more than average, and I had no clue about what this was smh.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Shivoa

If the PS4 didn't support HDCP (which Sony is completely behind, being a TV and movie studio as one of the only other sometimes-profitable centres outside the PlayStation brand) then you'd not see Netflix on the platform, unless it was SD streams (certainly not in 4K). You'd not see any of the other media apps. I doubt you'd even see the optical drive play media.

So, while complaints about HDCP/DRM may be valid, it is something you can turn off entirely for games in the settings, and something that is required for them to do deals with content creators and intermediaries to get media onto the platform.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.