poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonmonkey

Hey all.

Just thought I would share some problems my PS4 has has since V2.0 to see if there are any other duders experiencing the same problems.

1) Console sometimes will not come back on from rest mode - no matter what I try, even holding the power button will not switch it on will not make it boot, I have to unplug the console, wait and plug it back in.

2) Save game uploads failing saying "Online Storage Full" - really weird, I have had to delete some older save files to upload recent saves - this only has happened since V2.0

Anyone with the same or perhaps more issues?

Thanks all.

Phil

Edit 2nd November 2014:

Hi all, just a little update and a little fix that is helping some people (and me so far):

1) Go to Settings

2) Go to PSN

3) Go to Account Information

4) Next to Sign-In ID (Email Address) mine said Unverified

5) press on the above and the PS4 will verify your email address by sending you an email - verify it as per the email instructions

6) Press on Already Verified on the PS4 (I think that's what the next prompt said!)

After doing the above my PS4 has been in and out of Rest Mode all day with no trouble (I live in the UK so that has been about 12 hours of testing).

I've also seen some posts online saying this is working for some.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/11/ps4_rest_mode_boot_problems_prompt_the_strangest_fixes

I hope this works for at least a few of my fellow duders.

I will let everyone know if this seems to work long-term.

Thanks all.

Phil

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I had some issues with the store booting back to the XMB after a download/purchase each time with an error and sometimes icons/sound not loading in the main menu, but after powering it down for the night it seems to be running just fine now.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ya the new Rest mode that replaced standby is giving me nothing but problems. The console will not fully go into it, the orange light just blinks. And you can't turn it back on from it. Have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to boot into safe mode and rebuild the database. Pretty bogus. I've been fighting with it for a while. Had to rebuild five times now.

But it seems to not be hitting everyone. Or maybe those not having the issue don't use the standby, I'm sorry, Rest mode. What a dumb name change by the way.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, don't use Rest Mode right now. Also, it will turn off with the power button, you just have to hold it for 30 seconds or so. Just keep doing it until it beeps.

Yesiamaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yesiamaduck

I wish I lived in the world where Microsoft developed Sony's OS's :C

The MP3 functionality is really awful as well, doesn't even recognize my phone :'(

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've had some issues too. I had mine stop working properly a couple times when trying to share play, and that same issue with Rest Mode. Hopefully they fix this stuff up soon.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By poisonmonkey

Whilst I am sad its a problem at all, I'm glad I am not on my own, thanks for the replies, I wonder if they are playing with rest mode to get it ready for the game resume mode soon?

Nigel_Rice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be curious to see if there's any correlation between how the update was delivered to your system. Who downloaded to a USB stick then did a local install versus the console doing it for you? Wonder if one method had a better success/failure rate than the other or if it even matters at all.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I shouldn't update my ps4?

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne: Its up to you, the problems are more frustrating than anything but I have a feeling (or hope) we will be seeing a hotfix or two .

Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Just got home and tested turning on my PS4 from Sleep Mode and it worked fine.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 57

#12 bobafettjm  Online

Mine was stuck in rest mode when I got home from work. I also tried taking out the power and plugging it back in to no avail. I ended up having to leave it unplugged for longer in order to get it to boot back up.

roli_84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

found this on r/ps4. Hopefully it will help...

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2ko4jq/after_update_20_my_system_wont_turn_on_from_rest/cln5qhg

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Ya the new Rest mode that replaced standby is giving me nothing but problems. The console will not fully go into it, the orange light just blinks. And you can't turn it back on from it. Have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to boot into safe mode and rebuild the database. Pretty bogus. I've been fighting with it for a while. Had to rebuild five times now.

But it seems to not be hitting everyone. Or maybe those not having the issue don't use the standby, I'm sorry, Rest mode. What a dumb name change by the way.

Exact same problem. I'm just turning it off at this point, it's a really silly problem considering everything has a sleep mode, even the psp and ds had them.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sterling

@belowstupid: Try this:

• Hold power for 7 seconds until it beeps. Then let go. This turns it all the way off.
  • Wait a minute. Then hold the power button for another 7 seconds until it beeps. Let go. This boots up in safe mode.
  • Use the re-download update option to reinstall the patch. Once it reboots and is fully done. Turn the system all the way off.
  • Then wait a minute, turn it on and try Rest mode again.

Haven't been able to do this myself as I am at work right now. Others are also reporting that downloading to USB and re applying the update is also working. But others are also saying neither of those are working for them, so who knows.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roli_84 said:

found this on r/ps4. Hopefully it will help...

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2ko4jq/after_update_20_my_system_wont_turn_on_from_rest/cln5qhg

Thanks, I tried the safe mode - reinstall update method in the above and it seems to have worked at the moment, I will let everyone know if it fixes it permanently.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I hate the idea of turning my console all the way off. I always leave it in standby, which apparently is now rest. So, I guess I'll wait after reading what someone of you are going through. Any other major features not working? Anybody try share play yet?

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: I'll try that tonight thanks! The weird thing is though that I updated yesterday morning and tired the rest mode 3 times to see the difference from standby and it worked fine until I got home from work at the end of the day and it was blinking... weird.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By poisonmonkey

Ok peeps, I have a theory!

I think the PS4 may be stuck trying to upload saves after the firmware upgrade, from what I have been reading that is what the flashing yellow light is (it uploads and unsent saves every time it is put into rest mode). As you can see from my original post I noticed and my saves were not uploading due to PSN saying "not enough upload space".

I have have deleted some old uploaded saves (from games I have traded in or not going to play again), manually uploaded the saves I wanted and now it seems to work, it blinks for a few seconds whilst it uploads, then goes constant yellow.

I would advise anyone with the rest mode problem to check the notifications to see if there is a problem with the save uploads.

I have little doubt be above is probably caused my some PSN server problems as it has been so temperamental.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sterling

@poisonmonkey: I have that feature turned off (auto upload to cloud) and I was still having the Rest mode problem. So I don't think its that. Unless the update turned it back on. But I wasn't seeing any notifications when messing with it last night.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Damn, thought I was onto something there for a minute, still monitoring mine and seems ok so far.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've been having problems with Rest Mode as well. The @askplaystation twitter account is telling people to run Safe Mode and either re-download the update or rebuild the database.

Neither option has worked for me. Rest mode is pretty crucial given that it's the most convenient way to keep my controller charged up. The damn thing runs out of battery after a few hours and the usb cable is so short I can't keep it plugged in while playing.

roli_84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: maybe this can help with the music? http://geekparty.com/ps4-pro-tip-using-your-ipod-with-the-ps4s-usb-music-player/ if you are using a non iOS phone.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah my PS4 has maybe sucessfully rebooted from rest mode once. No problems when I do a full shutdown though. The trouble is remembering to do that.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes, I'm afraid to put my PS4 in rest now.

Also, I'm not the only one who can't sign into the youtube app, right?

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wallee321

I tried booting into safe mode and redownloading the new update. First time rest mode worked fine with a solid orange light, but I just tried putting it in restmode for the night and got the blinking orange light, where the controller can't wake the system up.

So I guess I'm going to be shutting it down all the way until Sony can patch it. Sure would be nice to get a recognition of the problem before the end of the week. I hope it won't take them a year to fix stand by / rest mode, lol.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I put it in rest mode the console goes dark (no orange light anymore), but I can still wake it up with the controller. Don't know if this is an intended change (don't really care for the orange light).

Yesiamaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yesiamaduck

@dussck: I have an orange light, but only after I enabled online functionality (which disabled it's self after the update meaning I came home to a queue that hadn't been downloaded here) the ps4 seemed to be completely off but it still woke up after pushing the button on my controller

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't had any issues. At least not yet. It's been in Rest Mode every time I've stopped using the console and it's booted back up fine. Hopefully I stay issue free.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Man, I went into the store and the system just died. I was terrified that the machine was dead, but after some prodding it came back on. Last console to just shut itself off was my first PS3. Glad it's not only me having problems, super worried about switching it on now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

Sony weren't kidding when they said "greatness awaits" cause I think we've been all waiting for quite some time and it's still not here yet.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best thing to do is to disable the rest mode for now and always turn off your ps4 when you arent using it. At least until Sony patches in a working fix.

On Neogaf people are describing their problems with the rest mode and a lot of people are getting that dreaded orange light.

CrimsonHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if this happened to you guys, but the Rest mode bug only happened to me whenever I had a game disc already inside. When I ejected the disc, the console was able to enter rest mode with no problems.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rangers517

I don't know if this happened to you guys, but the Rest mode bug only happened to me whenever I had a game disc already inside. When I ejected the disc, the console was able to enter rest mode with no problems.

I've had a game disc in there since the update and have put it into rest mode like 10 times without any problem

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Updated day one and haven't had a single issue. But then again, my launch PS4 has been back to Sony twice in the last year for repair. First time they replaced the motherboard, second time they replaced the motherboard AND the PSU. Been great since then. Sorry to hear people are having issues with the update.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, this really blows. I can't even start up the console by holding the power button for any length of time, so I have to actually fucking disconnect the power cord, which scares the shit out of me as far as the safety of my game saves and other data is concerned. There's no way that this is good for the console. It's really pissing me off.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had the 2.0 Rest-mode problem last night. I turned it on and it downloaded and installed Firmware 2.0. It said it couldn't download the Playroom update, but since I don't own the camera I didn't think much of it. After a few hours of Diablo 3, I set it into rest mode to recharge my controller. It never completely shut down though and instead the yellow light was blinking. I followed the safe-mode fix and that seemed to work. I am still uneasy now though and will be completely shutting it down until a proper fix is released.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad I got rid of my ps4. You guys should do the same while you still can. I'm not hating I had two ps4's in the past. One ended up destroying itself, and the other I traded in due to reasons.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By poisonmonkey

Hi all, just a little update and a little fix that is helping some people (and me so far):

1) Go to Settings

2) Go to PSN

3) Go to Account Information

4) Next to Sign-In ID (Email Address) mine said Unverified

5) press on the above and the PS4 will verify your email address by sending you an email - verify it as per the email instructions

6) Press on Already Verified on the PS4 (I think that's what the next prompt said!)

After doing the above my PS4 has been in and out of Rest Mode all day with no trouble (I live in the UK so that has been about 12 hours of testing).

I've also seen some posts online saying this is working for some.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/11/ps4_rest_mode_boot_problems_prompt_the_strangest_fixes

I hope this works for at least a few of my fellow duders.

I will let everyone know if this seems to work long-term.

Thanks all.

Phil

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love @patrickklepek to get his teeth into this to see if he can get some answers and an idea of how big of a problem it is.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@poisonmonkey: Thanks for these directions. Even though I fixed it earlier, I was still having rest-mode issues. My email was "not verified", too. Hopefully, all will work again.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.