Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 publishers can dictate their own DRM

• 125 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ez123 said:
    No Caption Provided

People saw this and still thought Sony would allow DRM? It's like the paywall opinions changing but this is literally overnight.

The drm is like what we have currently go take your trolling else where

Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Noctis
    @leftie68 said:

The major difference is Xbox One's infrastructure (online connectivity every 24 hours AND requirement to install every game), is tailored to institute some form of authentication for each game. It forces the consumer to buy and play games the way Microsoft says they should buy and play games.

Sony's open platform for the PS4 says hey, consumers, you decide how you want to game. If you want to buy a disc-based game and trade it in after you are done, go for it. If you want to download the game to your account, go for it. If you want to avoid DRM games (instituted by the publisher), then don't buy those games, we have plenty of other non-DRM games in our library. It is up to you.

exactly xbox one is built for some form of DRM and the ps4 is not, nothing is stopping a publisher to create some kind of DRM like the Online Pass.The ps4 will act exactly as the ps3 when it comes for disc based games. Besides EA already discontinued the Online Pass and even if it comes back you will probably still be able to play the single player portion of the game just as it was on the ps3 and 360.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By RazielCuts

So how its been for the past 5 years? Alright, Im cool with that.

This. It'll be things like season passes and what not that he's talking bout. Geez, way to knee jerk internet.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Uhhh, publishers were able to dictate their own DRM on the PS3, too. Tretton clearly pointed out this will not affect 1st party titles, but that publishers can do what they want. Sony doesn't have a server farm somewhere monitoring used games like Microsoft has, it will all be on EA/Activision/Ubisoft/etc.

This is not news.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By EXTomar

To put it another way if some don't get it: The requirements for Diablo 3 and Angry Birds are vastly different. Maybe no one should tell Blizzard or Rovio they need to use one and only one DRM scheme because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The reality is that this "feature" is for developers. It is a system feature that makes it easier for anyone to bring their company's game to the platform instead of forcing into one they didn't choose.

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@sergio said:

@xyzygy said:

But you're right. Maybe Microsoft will be right. They are offering a very similar service as Steam and look how good that is.

You can still download games on PS4 too.

My point was that Steam has a lot of restrictions and is doing fine.

And i'm sure the pricing will match up too, right?

Utter non story this. he Polygon story is written for hits, desperately so.

sumjugei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By sumjugei

There is a big difference between providing publishers with specific ways to lock down their content and maintaining the status quo.

MS probably had to implement something because every single game installs on the HD. Sony doesn't install every game, so they didn't need to give publishers new tools.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ShadyPingu

So online pass again?

I could live with that. Without any draconian system-wide online check to glomm onto, I can't imagine any publisher-specific DRM solution could go much farther than what we've got already. But I'm sure they'll prove me wrong.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

My understanding is that there are no system level checks, which is important. Publishers can put online passes all they want, but that doesn't mean the PS4 will be verifying an online connection or disc-based authentication system. That's just like what the PS3 and 360 do now.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@jimmyfenix: Don't accuse me of trolling, please. I think I'm stating some pretty basic stuff. It was a feel good, "we listened" moment that wasn't too truthful. The movement wasn't #PS4THEDRMWEHAVENOW, was it?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Winternet

So, exactly like the PS3. That's what we take from this, right?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By tourgen

Well we can look at the back of the box and decide to not buy the game. The point is that we get that choice.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically online passes? Way to make a mountain out of an anthill.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jimmyfenix

@ez123 said:

@jimmyfenix: Don't accuse me of trolling, please. I think I'm stating some pretty basic stuff. It was a feel good, "we listened" moment that wasn't too truthful. The movement wasn't #PS4THEDRMWEHAVENOW, was it?

Jesus christ you have a Diablo icon. Hell how much drm was in that game ? Sony's drm policy is the same as before oh and at least the console versions of diablo 3 will be able to play offline

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can't wait for EA to try to re-implement online passes after just publicly removing them. :D

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it seems to me if publishers want an online check on PS4 they have to build it themselves. So you could have games with similar XONE restrictions if the publisher wants, but Sony doesn't build\manage the system. Might be the better end of the deal for Sony as they wouldn't have to take flak for it if its fails.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ez123 said:

Jesus christ you have a Diablo icon. Hell how much drm was in that game ? Sony's drm policy is the same as before oh and at least the console versions of diablo 3 will be able to play offline

Lols, way to go off-topic for no reason. It's a cool logo and Diablo II is my favorite game ever.

But I do play Diablo III though, with M + KB and free online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A PC.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#69  Edited By isomeri

This was to be expected. Sony still played this PR game incredibly well. Even though they are basically doing the same thing as Microsoft they have let the public paint them as as a white angel from gaming heaven.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just means the same as things have been the past few years, online passes are still a threat.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the same policy as now, but it will be interesting to see how multiplatform publishers deal with it. On the one hand, you can imagine a company like EA wanting consistency in how people can access and acquire their games. But on the other hand, being responsible for setting up that system for the PS4 on your own (instead of Microsoft having it in place) could be a big headache/cost (not to mention getting significant ill will from the user base). Unless they just went straight up old-school one-time use PC codes across the board and called it a day.

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Seeing some of the responses to this makes me really sad. This is no different than what the PS3 or 360 do now and people are acting like they were betrayed.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This seems like one of those situations where people make mountains out of molehills, and complain about something based on assumptions that the worst-case scenario is the ONLY scenario. If you feel that Sony's conference presented a more open and consumer-friendly system than Microsoft's offering, that hasn't changed. The restrictions aren't nearly as severe on the Playstation 4 as compared to the Xbox One, even if developers can do what they want. To be honest, the fact that I can borrow and lend out games, and sell them however I want, is what really matters to me. Still impressed by what Sony is doing with the PS4.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By connerthekewlkid

So most High Profile games will still have online passes, that's sad

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Ratinho

@isomeri said:

This was to be expected. Sony still played this PR game incredibly well. Even though they are basically doing the same thing as Microsoft they have let the public paint them as as a white angel from gaming heaven.

This isn't even in the same continent as 'the same thing'

Unless you believe the PS3 and 360 are also doing the same thing as the new Xbox.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I actually thought that was fairly obvious by their wording, just like the way that online play behind PS+ flew under the radar but was still said.

You guys know it's the same as the online passes that have been around this gen, right?

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It seems that this puts Sony and Microsoft on equal footing in terms of DRM (not to be confused with authentication). It's not exactly what Jack Tretton lead us to believe last night, but that's business I guess.

If the only difference between the two now is Microsoft requiring online authentication, and publishers being free dictate their own DRM, my question now is, can a publisher mandate that a game they put out on PS4 authenticate to their own servers every time someone wants to play it?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's the same policy as now, but it will be interesting to see how multiplatform publishers deal with it. On the one hand, you can imagine a company like EA wanting consistency in how people can access and acquire their games. But on the other hand, being responsible for setting up that system for the PS4 on your own (instead of Microsoft having it in place) could be a big headache/cost (not to mention getting significant ill will from the user base). Unless they just went straight up old-school one-time use PC codes across the board and called it a day.

My guess is that one of two things will happen:

1) EA eats crow and decides to keep their word on abandoning the online pass even for the PS4. Take the loss and call it a day, really. The likelihood of a company like EA ever doing this without trying to fuck over the consumer in some way is negligible.

2) EA eats crow and reintroduces the Online Pass, but probably calls it something different. Or they could have the title of said Online Pass refer to the game itself, like ME2's Cerberus Network. Something like that.

Either way, EA got fucked hard on the PS4 reveal and I can't help but indulge in the schadenfreude.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@xyzygy said:

@sergio said:

@xyzygy said:

But you're right. Maybe Microsoft will be right. They are offering a very similar service as Steam and look how good that is.

The difference is that people trust Valve. Microsoft hasn't given anybody any reason to trust them, and if the last few months are any indication, has given a lot of people reason to be skeptical rather than trusting.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone suddenly surprised by this has not been paying attention this whole time, and was certainly not paying attention last night. Sony has said all along that third parties will be able to do what they do. Sony is maintaining the same system they've always had. Some third parties will have draconian requirements and Sony leaves it up to you to decide whether or not you're going to support that shit. If you buy an Xbone, MS makes the decision for you, and that decision is online checkins, used games controlled by their system, and no lending. I am baffled that people are somehow calling this a backtrack.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yep, just like it is on PS3.

Sounds fine to me.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ez123

I actually thought that was fairly obvious by their wording, just like the way that online play behind PS+ flew under the radar but was still said.

Online paywall was a bullet point in the PS+ slide. That's what made it obvious.

Tretton didn't say anything about publishers being able to implement DRM and it wasn't on a slide, right?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ABANDON SHIP!

Nah, it's probably still cool. Just as long as theres no system level 24 hour check-in, it's exactly as it was. Don't wanna buy EA/Activision games anyway.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ez123 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Online paywall was a bullet point in the PS+ slide. That's what made it obvious.

Tretton didn't say anything about publishers being able to implement DRM and it wasn't on a slide, right?

He clearly said this stuff would be staying the same as it is on ps3.

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@c0v3rt said:

It seems that this puts Sony and Microsoft on equal footing in terms of DRM (not to be confused with authentication). It's not exactly what Jack Tretton lead us to believe last night, but that's business I guess.

If the only difference between the two now is Microsoft requiring online authentication, and publishers being free dictate their own DRM, my question now is, can a publisher mandate that a game they put out on PS4 authenticate to their own servers every time someone wants to play it?

I'd say yes. They can kind of do that now for online only games like Dust 514, that requires 3rd party authentication. Sure, its an online only game so expectations are different, but its not a huge stretch to say that someone could make an offline game that requires similar authentication. Its more a matter of are players willing to accept the limitation and Sony seems to want to sidestep the conversation and make the publishers have to handle it.

WaltJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mrfluke said:

@davidwitten22 said:

This is already how it is on current gen consoles, can't be upset about that.

exactly, im just glad it doesnt have the full dependency on the internet that microsoft is saying you need to even play your games.

But I think the key difference between the 360/PS3 and the XB1/PS4 is that we know XB1 games are going to have DRM. Sony isn't going to stop publishers from enacting DRM. What will EA/Ubisoft/Activision and others do? Have the XB1 version with DRM and the PS4 with no DRM?

With MS, retailers, and publishers all on the same page with their used game and DRM plans, I expect at least 3rd party PS4 games to have the same restrictions. This whole situation is just Sony passing the buck to publishers so gamers can direct their fury to them.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshs said:

I can't wait for EA to try to re-implement online passes after just publicly removing them. :D

This is the only thing I'm curious about. I think EA was betting that Sony had a similar system--and I bet they did until a bit ago. Curious to see what EA's next move is.

I think the story is mostly a nonstory though. I doubt Sony could dictate that publishers not have DRM. It just can't be integrated into Sony's systems.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Companies like EA and Activision"

And nothing of value was lost.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ez123

@rangers517: Ah, okay. That doesn't really seem like it can be guaranteed if the publishers dictate the DRM.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

Yeah, because Sony is...doing none of the same stuff as Microsoft. They aren't "basically doing the same thing", Sony has put NO systems in place to help with DRM. It's going to work EXACTLY the same as it does now: publishers are free to put in online passes if they so choose, or something different, but Sony is NOT helping them do it.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh, i think it's just smart business. sony's won the spin war- they've just put the onus back on publishers to dictate the terms of licensing, which is probably the wisest move they can make. it's deflection and distraction, but it's clever. and i can live with it.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ez123 said:

"Well, I mean, we create the platform, we've certainly stated that our first-party games are not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform," Tretton said.

What was that five minute speech even about then?

Headlines

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes but there is no system level 24 hr drm busllshit as in Xbone so thats is fine by me

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By neoepoch

@xyzygy said:

@sergio said:

@xyzygy said:

Steam has a functional offline mode.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem is what's to stop publishers from issuing a full-Game pass instead of an online pass. If that's the case then these games could actually be even more restrictive on the ps4 because those codes are typically associated with your account not your system. Meaning my wife could not play any of the games while logged into her account or vice-verse. :(

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MurderBunny

It is the same system we have now. How is this any news at all??

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem is what's to stop publishers from issuing a full-Game pass instead of an online pass. If that's the case then these games could actually be even more restrictive on the ps4 because those codes are typically associated with your account not your system. Meaning my wife could not play any of the games while logged into her account or vice-verse. :(

Its system everything on the ps3 was the system so you will be safe !

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

[Update: Sony has outright confirmed my initial interpretation. As reported by GameFront, Sony has stated that Tretton's use of the term "DRM" referred only to playing used games online. Essentially, they're talking about letting publishers use online passes, and no other kind of restrictions.]

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MurderBunny

I don't know the policies, and if they're under NDA nobody really does, but could this technically be a loosening? I wouldn't be surprised if Sony requires PS3 games to work offline, and it sounds like they're no longer mandating that.

Not a big deal, but maybe not exactly the status quo either. (Again, total speculation.)

I do not think so. Yeah if you have something like Destiny that is online only then yeah it will be online only, but for other games all they said is that it will be the same as now. It is still not forced DRM like the Xbox one system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.