Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Ps4 still doesn't charge controllers when powered off.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frankiebeanz

Just found this out when I went to play and left it plugged in over night. I thought this was one of the things people didn't like about the ps3 and thought I have seen them saying they will fix that with ps4 because its something they over looked on the ps3..

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to be in standby.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@frankiebeanz: You have to set the ps4 to standby mode for it to charge when not powered up

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BRich

Doesn't standby mode not exist yet?

JDillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AboutBeverages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AboutBeverages

It does. When you hold the PS4 button on the controller to power down, it will ask you to turn off or go into standby mode.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Charges them fine on standby. You only should turn off your PS4 when you want to unplug it for moving etc.

Krenor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah like the others say don't actually turn off your PS4 there's no need for that unless you're unplugging it otherwise use stand by mode, it will recharge controllers, download updates and games.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Never noticed the stand by mode right next to turn off and actually read the description?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Standy works, though I'm still hesitant to use it for a long period of time.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@brich: A ton of people were confused around this due to misremembering terminology. "Suspend/Resume" is not in right now. The only thing "Suspend/Resume" does is let you resume exactly where you left off in a game, if you go into standby in the middle. Like the Vita or PSP. Supposedly it will also work when you switch games, but that's unconfirmed.

Low powered/standby mode is live in the system. You can make it the default power off state in the PS4 settings, too.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By kaos_cracker

Is standby good though? I'm kinda nervous to use it for some reason, I just been turning it off when I finish playing

Krenor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Krenor

Is standby good though? I'm kinda nervous to use it for some reason, I just been turning it off when I finish playing

isn't the PS3 always on stand by mode instead of turning off, that's why it's able to turn itself on and download patches when it needs to, so Sony has been doing it for a while you just didn't have an option, use stand by mode on PS4 it works great.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sterling

@krenor: Correct. The only way you could actually turn the PS3 off was by flipping the on/off switch on the back. Which is why so many people had issues when unplugging the power cord. They were not turning the PS3. They were unplugging it from a standby/hibernate mode.

As for standby on the PS4. I left it in this overnight while it ran some downloads. The next day the UI was very sluggish and locked up after about 20 minutes. I rebooted and it was fine. I've also set it in standby during the day for a few hours, and had the same issue. Hopefully they can patch this out. If you have to reboot after using standby its kind of pointless. It seems to me like its a memory issue. Not releasing after filling up.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By flippyandnod

Note in Europe you have to turn a checkbox in the standby settings to make USB charging work when the PS4 is in standby. In the US (maybe all other regions?) the box is on by default.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They had to comply with the laws regarding standby devices. If a device is fully powered off, there is a limit to what it is allowed to draw. Which is typically less than 1 watt these days. Hardly enough to charge. So if it were to charge controllers while powered off, it would be breaking some regulations there, hence the standby mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.