Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PSN Games on PS4

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When I staying at my family's place last Halloween, I created my own PSN account on my mom's boyfriend's PS3 and purchased the first three Resident Evil games through the store. Are these only playable on the PS3, or can they be accessed to the PS4 I hope to get later this month as well?

Thanks!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Nodima

They are completely separate store fronts, though they do share the same wallet.

You should also understand that if you bought those games on your mom's boyfriend's PSN account there's no way to transfer those to your account/PS3 if he were to leave or you were to move out and needed another PS3. Those games are only playable on his machine.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By strainedeyes

They are not playable on the PS4. The PS4 is not backwards compatible.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By strainedeyes

@nodima said:

They are completely separate store fronts, though they do share the same wallet.

You should also understand that if you bought those games on your mom's boyfriend's PSN account there's no way to transfer those to your account/PS3 if he were to leave or you were to move out and needed another PS3. Those games are only playable on his machine.

He says he made his own account on his mom's boyfriend's sister's neighbor's machine.

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, that's fair. I guess I can deal with a $15 sunk cost. Though, did I read something recently about compatability being mended for PS1/2 games?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, that's fair. I guess I can deal with a $15 sunk cost. Though, did I read something recently about compatability being mended for PS1/2 games?

All rumors, nothing official, and nothing about whether that will apply to both digital and physical games.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That will never happen. Not when Sony can charge you again for them on the PS4.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@nodima said:

He says he made his own account on his mom's boyfriend's sister's neighbor's machine.

Even if he didn't he could still play on another PS3 as long as the other dude put is account on it. You can have your account activated on 2 separate PS3's and all accounts on those 2 PS3's can play games that you purchase.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidmerrick said:

All rumors, nothing official, and nothing about whether that will apply to both digital and physical games.

Playstation Now is likely going to offer some PS3 and older games on the PS4. No news yet about which games will be included or how that service will handle payment. I hope it's just what you own on your PS3 but the world of licensing and publishing is a messy place full of legalese and contractual obligations.

Tehvenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: It would make total sense to have those games you have previously bought be downloaded again with playstation now since those games have had those licenses bought for a fee. Can't wait to hear more on this within weeks!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tehvenom: Same. would love all my games to carry over (i'd even accept them removing the licenses from my PS3 to get them on Now)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.