Recommend me a good headset!

#1 Edited by Conker (1009 posts) -

Hey gang,

So I'm looking to get a decent gaming headset in the ~$100 range. My only must have in the headset is that I have the ability to mute my mic from the headset itself. Otherwise, wireless/wired etc is not a huge deal.

I should also mention that I live in Canada.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1550 posts) -

I quite like my Sony Wireless Stereo headset. Im no audiophile but they sound great for me. It has easy to reach mute, volume, and game/voice balance sliders. The battery is pretty great in them and the mic quality is good. I can wear them for long periods of time and dont find them to be irritating. It works with PS3/PS4/PC and its only 99 bucks, although you might find them for less since they are the older model. I tried Sony's Gold headset and didnt like them as much.

#3 Posted by Conker (1009 posts) -

I quite like my Sony Wireless Stereo headset. Im no audiophile but they sound great for me. It has easy to reach mute, volume, and game/voice balance sliders. The battery is pretty great in them and the mic quality is good. I can wear them for long periods of time and dont find them to be irritating. It works with PS3/PS4/PC and its only 99 bucks, although you might find them for less since they are the older model. I tried Sony's Gold headset and didnt like them as much.

I am actually gonna be returning the Sony Gold headset tomorrow. I dont like it at all; the left and right sounds are switched in the game (Destiny). What I mean by that is: ill hear shooting in my headphones in my right ear but its actually coming from the left. So weird!

#4 Edited by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter said:

I dislike that headset. The sound is mediocre and it's too big. The plastic also now makes rubbing noises as it shifts around my head. I only use it because my monitor doesn't have HDMI and headphone jacks.

#5 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3885 posts) -

@conker: I've the same headset but I don't have that issue. Did you put the audio configuration on for Destiny?

#6 Edited by glots (4336 posts) -

I recently bought the 2.0 Wireless Headset and it has worked swell so far. Though I do wish you could connect it just via bluetooth as well, because the USB dongle has a bit of a trouble sometimes if I move just a bit further. Could just be because I'm keeping PS4 down on the floor, of course. Though even that can be passed if you just stick it to the controller.

#7 Posted by Conker (1009 posts) -

@conker: I've the same headset but I don't have that issue. Did you put the audio configuration on for Destiny?

Yep. Tried all the configurations possible on the headset, same issue. It's really, REALLY distracting.

#8 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3885 posts) -

@conker: That's odd. Tried it with other games? I wonder if it's just a faulty unit.

Also, you're not wearing it wrong are you? :p

#9 Posted by gkhan (1086 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: I have these too, and I like them quite a bit. I'm not an audiophile either, but the sound is certainly good enough for me, both for games and movies and stuff. Also, the virtual surround thing really feels like it works, and is pretty helpful for games.

#10 Edited by Y2Ken (2953 posts) -

I'd love it if it turned out you just had it on backwards the whole time and hadn't realised. :p

Worth noting while you're looking that you can apparently use any headset with standard pink/green 3.5mm connections using a Y adapter. Should be fairly easy to pick one up cheaply and it largely broadens your options as you can use most PC headsets as a result. Around that price range I've used Steelseries Siberia V2s for a while and they did a good job but I was never that happy with the mic quality. Very comfortable though. Alternatively (and a little cheaper) I used Turtle Beach PX21s prior to that and really liked them until the cable gave out, although that was probably mostly my fault for not looking after them.

#11 Posted by gkhan (1086 posts) -

Also, one of the advantages to those Sony headphones is that they have a "Game Audio/Voice Chat" slider. Don't want to hear people talking? Just slide the thing to game audio, and you don't need to. Can't hear people talking over the game audio? Slide it the other way. Really great feature.

#12 Edited by Y2Ken (2953 posts) -

@gkhan: It actually has that option in the Party chat screen, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sony headset just ties into that menu option. You can adjust it manually though. I guess having the freedom to do it on the fly instead of diving into the menu might be useful but I set it the first time around and haven't changed it once since then.

#13 Posted by gkhan (1086 posts) -

@y2ken: Certainly you can do it through the menus, but given that I frequently both play with anonymous people online and friends I want to talk to, having a physical slider on the headset is very convenient. It's not a massive deal or anything, but it makes me glad I bought these particular ones.

#14 Posted by Conker (1009 posts) -

@y2ken said:

I'd love it if it turned out you just had it on backwards the whole time and hadn't realised. :p

Worth noting while you're looking that you can apparently use any headset with standard pink/green 3.5mm connections using a Y adapter. Should be fairly easy to pick one up cheaply and it largely broadens your options as you can use most PC headsets as a result. Around that price range I've used Steelseries Siberia V2s for a while and they did a good job but I was never that happy with the mic quality. Very comfortable though. Alternatively (and a little cheaper) I used Turtle Beach PX21s prior to that and really liked them until the cable gave out, although that was probably mostly my fault for not looking after them.

Haha yea man I TRIPLE checked to make sure I wasnt being stupid :P, they were definitely on correctly!

#15 Edited by unastrike (1811 posts) -
#16 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1625 posts) -

I use the gold on the ps4 and the original wireless stero ones I the ps3

#17 Posted by big_jon (6462 posts) -

If you can get a used pair of Astro A40s I'd recommend them.

#18 Posted by Y2Ken (2953 posts) -

Yeah I didn't mention them because they're more expensive but I've recently started using Astro A40s and they're the most comfortable headset I've had by miles. Also they don't completely cut out outside sound (which I personally prefer in a gaming headset so I can hear what people around me are saying or if the doorbell rings). Plus when I bought them I picked up the additional cable they suggested which turned out to be the one I needed to plug it straight into the PS4 controller, which has a mute switch on it as you wanted. Definitely are overpaying a little, but I'm super happy with them. Also they're candy red.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.