Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Should I get a PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4KTV?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently came across a white Pro bundle with Destiny 2 and the expansion pass for £350 (the same price as a Pro on it's own, so the game and dlc are essentially free)

The problem is that I already own a PS4 and I don't plan on getting a new tv any time soon.

I'll be selling my old PS4 so that will offset the cost a little but I don't know if it's worth it.

Can any Pro owners with 1080 tv's offer any advice?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games do look better/run smoother. If you didn't have a PS4 at all, I would definitely recommend getting the Pro instead of the standard. As somebody who replaced their launch system with a Pro, the proposition of getting one when you already have a PS4 is somewhat sketchy. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't say it was a great decision either.

I gave my old PS4 to my brother, so I also didn't have the sale of that to offset the cost. Keep that in mind.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure you are getting much benefit for destiny 2, it will still run at 30 fps so you will probably only get a slightly better looking game with supersampling if anything. Other games will have unlocked frames and possibly 1080p 60(or close to it).

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I bought a Pro as my first PS4 despite not having a 4k TV and I think it's worth it over a regular one. I bought it over a cheaper PS4 because I wanted the performance boost it offers (and it future proofs things if I get a 4K tv sometime down the line, which will probably happen sooner rather than later). I'm fairly sensitive to frame rate changes so I wanted the extra performance to allow things to run smoother. Almost every game I've played runs pretty much perfectly smooth. Horizon looks insanely good when you set it to the 1080p but fancier graphics mode and still runs without a hitch.

If I was in your situation though, I'm not sure I'd go for it. It's much harder to justify unless you can sell your regular PS4 for enough money to make it worthwhile. I justified it for me because I would be spending almost as much as a Pro cost anyway to get a regular PS4 so the bit extra for the extra performance was worth it for me. If I had already owned a PS4 I would probably have not got a Pro.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ev77

If you don't mind splurging, then sure, the PS4 pro is a decent upgrade even if you don't own a 4k tv. If you are looking to get the most bang for your buck, or otherwise like to penny pinch (or just be smart with your money) then no. You are better off sticking with the OG PS4 and putting that money elsewhere.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

I wondered the same thing; I am no longer that curious about it when it comes to the Pro, but I have the same question about the Xbox One X. I have a base PS4 and base Xbox One, and kind of want an X, though I don't know. I would honestly wait for the X if I were you, rather than going for the Pro, unless you are more into the PS4 for one reason or another than the Xbox.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a regular PS4, I'd say use it until it dies and then get a Pro.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By glots

I'm kinda with Brad on this and most of the time just wonder if I should've spent that money elsewhere, even if certain games running at 60FPS do cheer me up each time. I even got my Pro 6-7 months before I got a 4KTV, but admittedly that decision was made easier by the fact that I used an offer to trade-in my older console.

Like said, though, Destiny 2 won't exactly be a night and day difference on Pro, since it still runs at that 30FPS.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: This is where I'm leaning. It does feel kind of stupid to get a Pro at this point.

Still haven't made up my mind though.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BoboBones

I have a 1080P and bought a Pro earlier this year. I'm torn on it. I spent an insane amount of time playing Nioh this year, and both that and MLB 17 give you a 1080p 60fps option instead of using a higher resolution. Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Ratchet also looks better on a pro at 1080p. I wish more titles would offer a better frame rate option at the cost of resolution and graphical fidelity, (*cough* Gravity Rush 2) I'm also curious to see what options Gran Turismo is going to offer.

This whole half step generation is a really mixed bag. Part of me wishes I had saved the money for upgrading my PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.