Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony license out "pro" controllers to Razer and Nacon

• 52 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sony have put out an update on their blog about two new licensed pro controllers, the Razer Raiju and Nacon Revolution. Both look kind of odd, very obviously third party and neither seem to offer the customization of the Xbox One Pro controller but perhaps people will enjoy the extra triggers and features. Both are out this holiday season.

Don't we look kind of pointy and heavy!
    Don't we look kind of pointy and heavy!

Razers offerings are

• Two extra bumpers and two extra detachable triggers
    • Built-in control panel on the front of the controller
    • Trigger-stop switches and hair trigger mode for ultra-fast trigger responses
    • Two custom profiles which you can instantly switch between and modify
    • 3.5mm headset jack and dedicated headset volume and mic mute controls
    • Detachable analog stick rubber caps which provide extra grip during intense gaming sessions
    • Compatibility with all PS4 systems via the braided 3m-long USB cable – detachable for easy storage

And Nacon (who I've never heard of before)

• 46° amplitude dual analogue sticks, enhanced with innovative firmware for advanced eSports accuracy and reach
    • Four extra shortcut buttons
    • Eight-way directional pad
    • Four custom profiles – all configurable via the companion PC application, enabling players to: re-map buttons, assign macros to the four shortcut controls and adjust analog and trigger sensitivity
    • Two internal compartments with six additional weights – for a tailored balance and feel
    • Compatibility with all PS4 systems via the 3m-long secure connection USB cable – detachable for easy storage

Boy that first bullet point for the Nacon controller was really pulled from the buzzword bucket. Also, while it's cool to see it'll apparently work on PC, doesn't it seem dumb to have custom profiles that you can configure but only via a PC? Come on guys, get an app working for that.

I doubt either of these would be for me, though I wouldn't mind a controller with those paddle triggers at the back.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WynnDuffy

Compatibility with all PS4 systems

Marketing speak for "This piece of shit isn't wireless".

Maybe good wired pads will solve all the moronic controller disconnects at fighting game events ran on PS4.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That Razer one looks like it's shaped like an Xbox One controller, which seems bizarre to me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm not saying the below is better...but it looks nicer and less like something a 15 y.o. would think is "rad"

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I recently purchase the Xbox Elite controller and you could tell just by looking at it that'd be an absolute joy to hold and look and feel premium. These not so much, but then again if they are only an incriment more than the standard that'd be forgivable.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By InternetDotCom

"Advanced eSports accuracy" is one of my new favorite features on a feature list

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

"Officially" "sponsoring" third party controllers like this instead of just doing it yourself is not that great, but "advanced eSports accuracy" certainly is.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of a PS4 controller with a Xbox-style analog stick layout (much better for shooters IMO) but that Nacon controller doesn't quite look like what I would want to buy.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cmblasko said:

I like the idea of a PS4 controller with a Xbox-style analog stick layout (much better for shooters IMO) but that Nacon controller doesn't quite look like what I would want to buy.

Basically it looks like one of those $30 knockoff controllers that would have been around in the PS2 era.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That's great and all but these just look like cheap garbage controllers.

Always buy first party controllers.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RetroMetal

I appreciate the offset analog sticks, but not sure I'd buy one of those.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god, the one on the left is so ugly. They're both ugly. Bad. Bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saispag said:

My god, the one on the left is so ugly. They're both ugly. Bad. Bad.

I actually think I may have been kind in my earlier reply, just opened up this topic on my big screen and realized how hideous and crappy they look X_X my eyes. On top of the recent console redesigns sony needs to hire a stylist (yes I know they didn't design these controllers but they sure as hell licensed them). The irritating thing is the one on the right probably wouldn't look too bad, albeit incredibly bland, if it wren't for that stupid blue led around the right analog stick. The Razor one is just a sight for sore eyes and should be burned at the steak.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wanted a Xbox One Controller for my PS4. :D

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Do most people prefer the left analog stick being up high? It feels so unnatural to me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ArtisanBreads

So to clarify off my jokey post, isn't this "officially licensed" angle and all exactly how all third party controllers work? Don't they all have to be "officially licensed"?

To me this is all PR spin to match Microsoft without investing in making their own first party controller.

EDIT: Yeah I mean this POS says it's "Officially licensed".

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I wish someone would just make standard controllers where all the parts are 7068 aluminium alloy or if injection molding is needed they are stronger and less brittle. Nothing fancy, no buttons shaped like shell casing or funky colors. I just want a standard joypad that you could run over with a truck. I'd pay $250 for that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish someone would just make standard controllers where all the parts are 7068 aluminium alloy or if injection molding is needed they are stronger and less brittle. Nothing fancy, no buttons shaped like shell casing or funky colors. I just want a standard joypad that you could run over with a truck. I'd pay $250 for that.

I mean, the Xbox Elite Controller is kind of that, maybe not that strong but that thing ain't breaking any time soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: that actually looks like a damn fine controller

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this is all PR spin to match Microsoft without investing in making their own

It feels to me like you can say that about a lot of what Sony is doing with the PlayStation these days.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There sure are butt ugly hobbygrade.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: still got a bit of the too curvey and plasticky look about it. pretty sure xbox elite is still at the top for me. or the duke/wii u gamepad for hugeness and comfort in my meaty hands.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These look bad, The thing that makes the xbox elite controller great is build quality and customisation. They didn't mess with the basic very good design. As someone who likes the regular PS4 design these don't seem appealing.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not being wireless sucks, the elite xbox one sold to more groups than just professional gamers. Some people just wanted a nicer controller.

Not having a light bar is a weird oversight. I can't see these being more than $80. No wireless, support and ugly plastic looks. Plus the new ds4's can connect via USB, so really the only benefit would be the extra four buttons. In that regard the Nacon looks more comfortable. I think Razer released a knock off xbox one elite controller last fall that was wired and charged something like $130 - $150 for it. So these could be dead in the water.

Hopefully, Sony announces a real elite ds4 at their ps event in December or by next e3.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Razer continues to have no idea on how to make a nice looking product. The other one actually looks fine. It reminds me of the wireless Logitech PS2 controller I used and still maintain is the best controller of all time.

No Caption Provided

I'll second that. I bought two of them about five years ago just to be safe and still haven't had to open the packaging because my original one is still going strong. They're built like a god damn tank.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

"advanced eSports accuracy and reach" is hilarious.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Razer continues to have no idea on how to make a nice looking product. The other one actually looks fine. It reminds me of the wireless Logitech PS2 controller I used and still maintain is the best controller of all time.

No Caption Provided

I use to have one of those with my PS2. I think I used it once or twice and went back the DS2. Didn't really like the feel of it.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @artisanbreads said:

So to clarify off my jokey post, isn't this "officially licensed" angle and all exactly how all third party controllers work? Don't they all have to be "officially licensed"?

To me this is all PR spin to match Microsoft without investing in making their own first party controller.

EDIT: Yeah I mean this POS says it's "Officially licensed".

Iv actually used one of those at a friends house for the 360, and for a 3rd party controller there not bad actually. They look like there made of cheap plastic, but there actually reasonably solid, and i think he said they were fairly cheap price wise. I assume anything that has the brand logo or button icons on them has to be officially sponsored in some way or else the lawyers will be on them, but i don't think most generic 3rd party controllers do say there "officially sponsored" if they don't have the logo's. But i honestly haven't looked at one in forever since most PS2 era 3rd party ones broke in hours, so it might be a thing?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Those are garbage.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

I also had that controller after my two DS2's broke after prolonged disuse. Pretty great controller. The handles could have been more rounded. But otherwise a great controller.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ripelivejam

@jeff said:

"advanced eSports accuracy and reach" is hilarious.

everyone knows the joy-con is the preferred e-competitive control device.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hassun

The Razer seems to be mostly just a slightly remodelled Sabretooth.

Never heard of Nacon but a look at their other products gives me a "1337 G@M3R on a budget" vibe.

@monkeyking1969: Whoa, frankencontroller.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: Yeah I don't know totally. I kind of think it's one of those "Nintendo Seal of Approval" deals where even LJN gets the stamp even though it's a turd in a box. But maybe I'm wrong. I just figure if you are putting something out for a closed console platform you have to go through them.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

I had one of these for the original Xbox and went back to the regular controllers almost instantly. This was always the "you're the third person here so you get the shitty controller"-controller for me.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Damn, I wasn't expecting it to be the first result.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Onemanarmyy

When you need to include ESPORTS firmware as bulletpoint, you are reaching. No competition is decided by an 'innovative' mouse setting.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, those sure look like some third-party-ass controllers. Nooo thank you.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be perfectly happy to pay a decent amount of money for a good, premium pad like the elite pad for the xbox, but thats clearly not what we have here. Doesn't seem like they plan to make one either. Shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@kingbonesaw: Had the controller, it was ok but the sticks were awful. Extremely loose.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs see through plastic imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:
    No Caption Provided

Damn, I wasn't expecting it to be the first result.

Every result on the 1st page is about these things

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one on the left looks like an actual XBone controller and the one on the right uses its layout. I'm gonna say "no thank you" to both of these. If I wanted to buy a 'pro' controller, I would rather buy one of these:

I'm not saying the below is better...but it looks nicer and less like something a 15 y.o. would think is "rad"

No Caption Provided

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

The Razer seems to be mostly just a slightly remodelled Sabretooth.

As someone who owned a Sabretooth for almost an entire day, all I can say is be prepared for a lovely 'boing' sound when you press the bumpers. I took it back to the store and the girl behind the counter actually laughed when she heard the noise. Horrible controller.

Out of interest, has anyone tried the Hori PS4 controller?

No Caption Provided

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly i wish they would just do a pro version of the current controller with modular parts

i like the controller a lot but completely despise the sticks, and if i could change them to anything else i would

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do eSports players even use consoles? I presumed they would want to use a PC.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I don't know about most people but I find the DS4 uncomfortable because it isn't like that. When the stick is up high, like on the Xbox One pad, your thumb is always in a straight position, much more comfortable than having to always bend them on the DS4 sticks. That's also why I find the Wii U game pad very comfortable, both pads are up high.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: Lots of esports players use consoles. Most fighting games are played on consoles. Apart from things like Counterstrike and RTS games which are PC only, I'd say the majority of eSports are played on a console.

Also these controllers are for esports people really. They're for Joe Average who wants that "eSports" advantage.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If would be awesome if Sony put some effort into making their own premium controller. Say what you will about them, but they have some fantastic hardware designers over there (except for the move. I'll give them a pass on that one).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.