Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony's PS4 unboxing video gives life back to video games.

• 62 results
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SlashDance

Guys... this is really something else.

They used the same fucking set. This is stupidly awesome. What do you guys think? It's kinda shameless, but I think it comes off as genuine. Just look at this guy's grin!

Also, unboxing videos are dumb, so might as well go all out stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love how dramatic Sony is sometimes.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wikitoups

Wait...was that Shuhei Yoshida???

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mrfluke

Fun PR stuff like this is why people have renewed faith in sony.

i hope they continue this style of videos well into this new generation.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By awesomeusername

I agree with Marokai.

@wikitoups said:

Wait...was that Shuhei Yoshida???

Yupp. Knew it was him right before the end because his mouth/chin. It was so Japanese like.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

O shit, an AC power cord! Hide the kids.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's a fun video.

But I'm still left wondering how long that USB cable is. I mean, it can't possibly be long enough to reach my couch from the other side of the room, and I don't want to have to buy MORE hell of long USB cables because they decided to change the connector on the controller!

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Must only touch with ze leather gloves! Hail!

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a fun video.

But I'm still left wondering how long that USB cable is. I mean, it can't possibly be long enough to reach my couch from the other side of the room, and I don't want to have to buy MORE hell of long USB cables because they decided to change the connector on the controller!

they are the same cables almost every cell phone uses these days. everyone probably already has half a million of them lol

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc said:

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

they are the same cables almost every cell phone uses these days. everyone probably already has half a million of them lol

I have one that came with my cell phone in 2009 that plugs into a power outlet. That is literally the only thing in this house that has that. Okay, I lied, my dad, who has the same phone, has the same thing that plugs into a power outlet, so we have two of those.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah Micro USB. Not even Apple gets away with not using that nowin Europe.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb in a good way and straight to the point, their marketing teams are nailing it. Great use of Yoshida at the end.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sony's been making some really nice ads in anticipation of the launch.

Also, I liked seeing Shuhei at the end there.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, that video was doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That could of been a Gran Turismo commercial.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By SMTDante89

Yeah, that was pretty nice.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hughesman

Everybody loves Yoshida. Really smart of Sony to put faces like Mark Cerny and Yoshida behind their new console.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By turboman

That was really stupid and fun.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc said:

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

I have one that came with my cell phone in 2009 that plugs into a power outlet. That is literally the only thing in this house that has that. Okay, I lied, my dad, who has the same phone, has the same thing that plugs into a power outlet, so we have two of those.

I dunno. I think marc might be onto something. I have about ten of them in my house. I think they multiplied, because I have no idea where some of them came from.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Shu, you RASCAL!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

@marc said:

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

I dunno. I think marc might be onto something. I have about ten of them in my house. I think they multiplied, because I have no idea where some of them came from.

Well, good for you then! These aren't going to help me charge and play at the same time, or use it on my PS3 where it has to be connected at all times!

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol so bad it's good.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I love it!

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Pretty funny. Its interesting that Sony has a lot of youtube video promotion and microsoft is doing some of this too but microsoft seems to have a few xbox one ads on tv and I haven't seen a PS4 ad on tv yet. Today I was watching nascar and there were a few Forza 5 commercials I think and now during sunday night football there is a commercial with pro players where they're swapping between the game on tv and Madden. Might just be another example of who they seem to be targeting right now.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was pretty funny, like a parody of Nicolas Refn.

I'm one of, I believe, only a few that think the design of the console itself is ugly. The angularity gives it the air of a thin Xbox, or some other imagining of "the future" from 2002.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was pretty funny, like a parody of Nicolas Refn.

I'm one of, I believe, only a few that think the design of the console itself is ugly. The angularity gives it the air of a thin Xbox, or some other imagining of "the future" from 2002.

That may be valid, but look at most other videogame console/handhelds, they usually look weird to downright ugly. Launch 3ds, ps3, dreamcast and the 360 all completely pail in design to tech in other categories. They're never cohesively designed, have strange color combinations and look like they hate being a game system. The only game systems I've thought looked timeless were the Gameboy advance Micro, NES and the slim PS2. So as far as design goes, I think although the PS4 does look sort of odd, it's doing much better than most in the industry.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hatking

I'm not sure that was actually a joke. I mean, everything else about the lead up to the console release has been so fucking self serious while simultaneously being dumb as shit, it's hard for me to think that "oh, this is them making fun of this whole spectacle that they've been helping orchestrate." This just seems like more "HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS GOING TO CHANGE YOUR FUCKING LIFE" hype. The entire build up has been so disgusting from all angles that I'm completely turned off from buying either console. And for the first time in years I've been thinking a lot about building my own PC, which would probably run most of these games better anyway.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spraynardtatum

that was hilarious.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SSully

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

It's going to be short. The cables aren't meant to reach from the console to a seat, they are just meant to charge

@hatking: Sorry man, but that's kind of how all marketing is these day's. I read about it recently(i'll try to find a link) that most marketing towards younger people, such as millennials, is most effective when it has some kind of purpose or meaning behind it. Marketing a product is no longer enough, the product has to be world changing. That's why you have Apple marketing the ipad air as a device where all great idea's begin, or phone commercials where young attractive people are running through the street with fireworks and other bullshit going off to make the phone/company look hip and meaningful.

While I dont think Sony or Microsoft are that far in yet(most of their commercials are just saying YO, VIDEO GAMES ARE STILL FUN RIGHT?!), I can certainly see this kind of messaging being tiring.

Personally I found this ad to be pretty fun.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: It's a parody of a Daft Punk video.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was stupid and cheesy. I like it.

Also the comment section LOL

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a controller and was pissed it didnt come with a USB chord, so I was fuming thinking they didnt include one with a PS4 either, but nope, last thing they show before the console itself is the chord.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause I found no proper clip of it:

Loading Video...

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Sony is just on a roll with their advertising lately. It's like they just started trolling everyone or something I can't really explain it.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@marokai said:

I love how dramatic Sony is sometimes.

sometimes?

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of emotion went into that unboxing.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Next we just need a video of Stephen Colbert dancing with Jack Tretton in front of a green screen.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

I'm not sure that was actually a joke. I mean, everything else about the lead up to the console release has been so fucking self serious while simultaneously being dumb as shit, it's hard for me to think that "oh, this is them making fun of this whole spectacle that they've been helping orchestrate." This just seems like more "HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS GOING TO CHANGE YOUR FUCKING LIFE" hype. The entire build up has been so disgusting from all angles that I'm completely turned off from buying either console. And for the first time in years I've been thinking a lot about building my own PC, which would probably run most of these games better anyway.

It's a straight spoof of the Daft punk Random Access memories unboxing video, it's very much tongue in cheek and taking the piss.

Avatar image for mycroft_ampersand
    Mycroft_Ampersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez said:

Pretty funny. Its interesting that Sony has a lot of youtube video promotion and microsoft is doing some of this too but microsoft seems to have a few xbox one ads on tv and I haven't seen a PS4 ad on tv yet. Today I was watching nascar and there were a few Forza 5 commercials I think and now during sunday night football there is a commercial with pro players where they're swapping between the game on tv and Madden. Might just be another example of who they seem to be targeting right now.

I think it just depends on what you happen to catch. I have seen numerous PS4 commercials on television (I only watch the sports highlights in the mornings and evenings) but have not seen a single ad for xbox one. But to see xbox commercials during racing and football makes sense, for the reasons that you mention above (demographic targeting and Forza).

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RobotSquad

Everybody loves Yoshida. Really smart of Sony to put faces like Mark Cerny and Yoshida behind their new console.

Absolutely. Even if it was just all just smoke and mirrors, those guys seem so much more genuine than the stodgy suits Microsoft parades around. They need another J Allard, and that was 110% smoke and mirrors.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@hatking said:

It's a straight spoof of the Daft punk Random Access memories unboxing video, it's very much tongue in cheek and taking the piss.

Yeah, it's pretty obviously spoofing it. The smallest details are almost exactly mimicked.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By sub_o

That's pretty dumb unboxing, and I like it !

And to be fair, XBox One unboxing is pretty straightforward too, which is good too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Good stuff. I'm excited, man. There was a month long period where I wasn't so sure but now that I have 4 games coming my way (while only paying for two) it's all good.

And a recent surprise raise certainly helps ease the burden.

I'm red e.

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shuhei is a PR monster!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That was pretty good. I don't like their tagline, "Greatness Awaits", though. It's lame.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yeah ps4! I am so excited!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That was really funny.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That was so dumb in all the right ways. I love this side of Sony's Playstation marketing.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By joshwent

So... it doesn't come with that spotlight so you can raise the console triumphantly into the beam when you unbox it? Lame.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Castiel

I feel bad for the people who don't know that it is meant as a joke.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.