Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Spider-Man DLC (is it good?) and PS4 Pro enhanced games in general.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I just got a PS4 Pro yesterday. It has been in the back of my mind for a while now. There were many reasons for me not to get one and really only a few reasons why I feel I should, but I decided to get one regardless and with that said, the few games I've played already (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Spider-Man, and right now God of War) I am not disappointed. It may be shallow to say, but with the up in resolution, even for the two games that didn't quite reach 4K, they looked a lot better and helped immerse me into the game more than previously, making the experience even better for it in my opinion. My first question is, how is the Spider-Man DLC? I'm contemplating whether I should get it. Does it add much to the world/story and are the missions fun? Another question is, what enhanced games that aren't enhanced on the Xbox One X should I play on the Pro?

So far, the games I have in mind which I have available to me physically (looking at them right now) are Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Metal Gear Solid 5, Watch Dogs 2, Skyrim, The Last Guardian, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, and inFamous: Second Son (which I never thought I'd think about playing again). I'm also not sure about the Soulsborne games which from what I understand, while not enhanced, do run better. Those are the games physically that I was just looking at and am thinking about trying out. I have more digitally, but since I'm not looking at them, I can't name them off the top of my head right now. What else is there? Thanks. I am happy to be excited about playing the Pro because I really thought I could be making a mistake and I'm not feeling that right now.

Edit - Oh yeah, I totally forgot, I want to try out The Last of Us remaster as well. There is also Shadow of the Colossus which I am now downloading.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Having beaten all the Spider-Man DLC , I'd call it alright. It's three episodes telling their own story arcs that take, I'd say, 8-10 hours depending on how much open world side activities you wanna indulge in. If you just mainline it and do nothing else, Each episode is maybe a little more than a couple of hours.

The story is pretty decent, it's got two boss fights, and a couple pretty tough new mooks. The cutscenes aren't skimped on, but you're not gonna get any Main Story stuff in here. It's a side story with some minor players going through the biggest changes.

They haven't changed up your abilities much. You don't get any new gadgets or new moves or anything like that, and the sidequests are still you going somewhere and punching some dudes, or going somewhere and picking something up. The stories for a couple of them are interesting, but nothing vital. Screwball is in charge of the challenges this time around, so I couldn't abandon them fast enough.

Personally, I think the gameplay is kinda too shallow to go back to. After I was done with Spider-Man I was very hungry for more, but after the DLCs I think they gotta do something serious to keep me interested in anything besides the story. Feel like I'm just stuck doing the same stuff over and over again.

I think how worthwhile it is depends on how you feel about some more of the same game.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

If you REALLY enjoyed the game like I did then it's a no brainer. It is very much more of the same though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

I've heard people say their PS4 Pro fan is loud. My base PS4's fan was loud, but with the Pro it's really quiet on the most demanding games that pushed the base console, like Uncharted and God of War.

Edit - So far I've tried Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us Remastered, Spider-Man, and Uncharted The Lost Legacy. I'm installing Horizon Zero Dawn now. All the games so far looked fantastic and I plan on playing each of them more. As for the Spider-Man DLC, it doesn't sound like it's all that interesting, unfortunately.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nutter

There’s too much filler, but it’s an excuse to play more in that world. The filler stuff is mostly what you’re used to; stop crimes, take down hideouts, and some pretty iffy Screwball missions.

The story stuff is not the same quality as the main campaign by any stretch, but I enjoyed it. I think I liked DLCs 1 & 2 better than 3, but they were a decent way to get a bit more out of that game, if that’s what you want.

I passed on the PS4 Pro. The leap from Xbox to Xbox One X was pretty substantial. I’ve not used a PS4 Pro, but word has been that it’s not a huge leap. With the base model supporting HDR, I’m fine with staying with my launch console.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: While I don't think I could go either way in recommending a Pro, I would say the jump for some games is major, at least in my opinion, but overall probably not since, like me, you'd probably be getting all third-party titles on the X. There are a few games that were updated on the Pro before the X came out and the X, unfortunately, didn't get the enhancement, like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I might be in the minority, but I don't think HDR is all that great without the jump to 4K and if I were to choose between 4K and HDR, I'd choose 4K even though I do think, in select titles, HDR is great. At this point, I don't think I'll get the Spider-Man DLC; it doesn't seem interesting. I'll have to look into it more though I guess. Now more than ever, I'm actually kind of interested in what the upcoming Days Gone has to offer as an experience. It seems like that game could go either way in terms of being great or being poor. In short videos, it doesn't look bad, but the overall package could be different. Also, I just found out (or remembered, since I'm pretty sure I've seen that it wasn't) that Sekiro wasn't a PS4 exclusive. I am weirdly disappointed in that. I guess I just wanted more games to play on my new Pro.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the pro upgrade for Spiderman just making the resolution 1440p?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nutter

@ntm: I’m HUGE on HDR. For me, it’s the biggest graphical jump since 720p/1080i. I love the use of light and color in Spider-man on my standard PS4. I’d also be super curious to hook a pro up to my set-up and see what that does.

But visuals are subjective. I got lasik and now have at least 20/15 vision, but 1080p to 4k isn’t nearly as big a deal to me as having a rich, vibrant color palette.

I should probably note I still have an 11 year old Panasonic Viera in my house, and color representation (especially velvety, inky blacks) has typically been a driving factor in my TV purchases. Again, subjective stuff.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@nutter: A lot of people that are into TV's say it's HDR that makes 4K TV's special, not the 4K. I don't necessarily disagree with that, it's just that so far, 4K has made a bigger impact to me than HDR, even though HDR has been great in some titles (other titles not so much, like RDR2 [okay, that isn't necessarily fair since RDR2 fakes it]). When it comes to resolution, it also depends on how far away you sit from your TV depending on size. You have to get pretty close to 4K TV's otherwise you can't tell much of a difference between resolutions. Maybe it's just me here, but I didn't really like the look of HDR in 1080p. In games like Shadow of the Colossus, it just looked awkward to me, but in 4K it looks excellent. It blends better perhaps. I don't know.

Edit - I guess I should clarify. I don't have an issue with 1080p or think 4K is more valuable than HDR. I just have a small issue with playing or watching sub-UHD content on a 4K screen. I mean, there are exceptions, but 1080p itself is pretty blurry on a 4K screen. If they made a 1080p screen with HDR that was of good quality, I can see that being a totally viable thing. I don't really know why 4K is the thing, nor why they're even going for 8K. The only thing it allows is for you to sit closer to the screen, which is nice I guess. Maybe I'll see the benefits when I look at an 8K screen, but from what I understand people won't really get to see the benefits. It is other things like HDR that make it a worthwhile investment. Also, since this comment, I was checking out HDR by flipping it on and off on Horizon Zero Dawn and HDR definitely makes it look more realistic, where the colors pop more and the darks are appropriately black in spots that are meant to be dark (during the nighttime for instance).

@mems1224: It's a dynamic resolution, and it goes all the way up to 4K and goes down to 2560 x 1368. It looks a lot better in my opinion. The Uncharted games are only 1440 (but despite that, also look a lot cleaner). I am actually astonished at how much better it looks. I'd actually say from what I've experienced so far, it's more impressive than God of War.

---

Sorry to be somewhat misleading, but while the title has Spider-Man in it, I am honestly more interested in PS4 Pro in general as I am playing a bunch of different titles, not solely Spider-Man. As an example, when it comes to DLC, I was curious (again) if the DLC is good in Nioh.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an update: I played through the Spider-Man DLC. I really enjoyed it. I didn't know that they were going to be as connected to one another as they are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.