Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The PlayStation 4 Exists

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    Mark Cerny talking informed system architecture.
    Mark Cerny talking informed system architecture.

Well, that was interesting.

Sony today did what pretty much everyone expected it to, and unveiled the PlayStation 4, the company's first new home console in seven years. The system will run on an x86 CPU, with an enhanced PC GPU and 8 gigabytes of on-board GDDR5 memory. The new controller, titled the DualShock 4, features a touch pad and a move-styled light bar on the back, which will allow it to interact with a new PlayStation Eye device. It was not stated as to whether that device would come with the console or not.

Among the many key features Sony touted, the system's various online and user interface functionalities took center stage. Seemingly responding directly to much of the infrastructural criticism lobbed at the PlayStation 3, the PS4 is aimed to make loading up and getting into a game easier than ever. Players who want to leave their game, for instance, now can actually power the system down to a lower power state, and resume the game exactly where they left off prior. When downloading games off of the PlayStation Network, you will now be able to start a game before it's even finished downloading.

Also much pushed (and occasionally maligned on social media) was the system's new social media functionality. A share button on the new controller lets you recap the last several minutes of gameplay you've just experienced, and share specific portions via your social media networks through a quick, presumably easy-to-use process.

Gaikai was also a big focus of the event. Dave Perry arrived to explain how Gaikai's game streaming service will benefit the PlayStation 4 tech, including allowing streamable demos of every game in the PlayStation Store, and made the case that eventually (but likely not in the immediate future), all PS1, PS2, and PS3 games could be available via cloud streaming. This is sort of key, as the PlayStation 4 will not feature backward compatibility support for PlayStation 3 games.

Of course, the event was also replete with tech and game demos, designed to show off the hardware's prowess. Here's a list of some of the bigger games announced and shown at the event:

Knack

A new action platformer from Sony's Japan Studio and PS4-lead Mark Cerny. Knack is a tiny robot creature...thing that can resize itself by controlling and reforming other objects in the game world.

Killzone: Shadow Fall

A new sequel in Guerrilla Games' long-running PlayStation shooter franchise. Unlike previous Killzone games, this one appears to be in color.

Drive Club

A new racing title from MotorStorm developers Evolution Studios, which includes numerous social features and challenges. While little in-game action was shown, game director Matt Southern made much ado about the game's visual prowess, and the experience of getting into a virtual car. It was kind of a weird demo, to be honest.

Infamous: Second Son

A follow-up to Sucker Punch's acclaimed superhero action game, which appears to feature a new protagonist, and a decidedly anti-government paranoia-infused storyline.

The Witness

Jonathan Blow's long-awaited follow-up to Braid will be coming to the PlayStation 4 at launch.

Deep Down

A fantasy action game from Capcom that was shown largely in tech demo form. This was, in many respects, the most visually impressive demo of the program, though considering the relatively early state of the project, it's tough to say how much of it would carry over into a playable game.

Final Fantasy Something

After showing the same next-gen tech demo it showed at last year's E3, Square Enix also briefly teased that a new Final Fantasy offering would be coming to the PS4, and that we can expect to see it for the first time at E3 2013.

Watch Dogs

A new demo of Ubisoft's paranoia-fueled open-world game was shown. This marks the first time Ubisoft has directly addressed Watch Dogs as a next-gen title, something it assiduously avoided doing when it debuted the game at E3 last year.

Diablo III

Yes, that Diablo III, from that developer Blizzard, is coming to both the PS4 and PS3 later this year.

Destiny

Bungie briefly appeared to show off roughly the same footage and content we saw of Destiny earlier this week, but also mentioned that the PS4 version would be featuring exclusive content of some kind.

Finally, Sony let slip that the PlayStation 4 would be arriving on store shelves sometime this coming holiday season. Though no price was announced, nor was the actual form of the PS4 box shown, it seems likely we can expect to hear about those things at E3.

So, honestly, what did you think? If you watched our live chat, you undoubtedly noticed that much of our editorial staff was largely impressed with the quality of Sony's showcase. I think I'd echo that sentiment, especially considering I wasn't really expecting to see more than one or two games demoed during the event. Still, we're early in this process, and haven't had hands-on time with any of this stuff. If nothing else, this Sony event seemed to demonstrate a lot of good ideas. We'll see soon enough if the company is able to execute on them.

StormTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

i'm already in. that was a cool show.

Leviathan2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If GTA 5 will be out for this platform, maybe I will buy it in the end of the year!

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By gerp

Do we know if all 8 GB of RAM are gddr5?

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't great, but I know I'm in day one either way, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm stocked about video games again.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I wasn't expecting much, but I'm left thoroughly impressed. I feel much better with Cerny at the helm of the next-generation.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A much better show than anyone could have expected. I have blind optimism right now. New damned hardware! Finally!

SE not giving me much hope for them though. They announced an announcement and showed a trailer we had all already seen. Definitely the one weak link of the conference.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infamous: Second Son sounds great. I hope they go with the original idea for it to feature Cole's brother.

Big ups for Troy Baker already invading new consoles.

Ulfghuld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ulfghuld

I was unimpressed. I honestly thought a lot of what they showed could graphically be done with the PS3. But, I will wait to see more in the months to come.

i8Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Drive Club in the same universe as Wake-up Club?

reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Do I lose all the games I have bought from PSN on PS3?? or can I carry them over? lol doubt it's possible!!

arx724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By arx724

Some smart network/connective things that actually have to do with video games, color me excited.

I'm personally mostly interested in Capcom's thing and From Software's logo being on the big logo wall. Slightly disappointed about the lack of Team Ico, but it was a long shot to hope for them being shown anyway.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like video games. They had cool games. I'm hyped.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I cannot wait! I am already sold!

weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft is gonna tear sony up, again

loudgeekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looked fantastic. Can't wait.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Sooty

@weezel42 said:

Microsoft is gonna tear sony up, again

Nope. Microsoft are now screwed because everything they announce will likely be similar to the PS4 inviting a much more tame response.

Unless Microsoft innovate in some way, but it'll have to top the streaming/sharing stuff and instant on/off Sony have already unveiled.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GuyIncognito

Pooping on the parade: Where's the Last Guardian?

Also, where's the PS4?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Honestly, it was a wonderful show. Sony really impressed me this time, even if most of the titles announced have little to do with my tastes. I loved the game-centric discussions and reveals, and cannot wait to see what the damn thing looks like at E3.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I just expected 'Hey, look at this new Playstation maybe?', but the amount of games and stuff shown was impressive. I skipped all of the PS3, but I think I'll be on board for this.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Very good, good job Sony.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No price or hardware pictures leaves me somewhat on the fence about this. Sure the new features seem cool, but nothing left me thinking I should buy this day 1 (or 100 for that matter). Did that with the Vita and got burned.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the showing was stellar, and smart in that they kept a lot of things in the dark until E3 so they have more to show instead of Microsoft's offering taking center stage.

I have to say, I was a 360 guy this generation, but that's mostly due to how frantic the marketing was and how it came out first and cheaper. Before that, I was all Sony with the PSX and PS2. I'm thinking Sony might win me back this generation.

I do wish that they'd have shown the system, but that might be because they're still designing it.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I was really looking forward to this, but scared that Sony would completely fail to say anything new and interesting. Personally, I think they nailed it.

Video games, I'm back in.

weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty:Of course both systems are going to be similar just like last time. Xbox will have a better UI

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm in. I've heard everything I wanted to hear from Sony. Microsoft most likely won't get my business this time around. Microsoft would have to rethink their subscripiton model for Xbox Live, as well as deliver everything Sony did today. I don't think either is going to happen.

And I'm glad, that gaming is exciting again. It's been too fucking long.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sony having sorted out their online stuff makes me more excited than an improvement to graphics and AI for some reason. Actually more interested than I thought I would be. Just need to see what Microsoft do...

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They had me at the new inFamous have to scrounge up some cash and stick it in the safe.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly what I'm most excited about is that new, more powerful consoles means better looking games on the PC, so many ports are held back by the current hardware.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really would have liked to see what the PS4 is gonna look like (and a price point), but overall I was pretty impressed by Sony. I've done the vast majority of my console gaming on the 360, but the PS4 was looking pretty interesting. Really want to know what the new Xbox is gonna be like.

Cykke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought the conference was pretty terrible. Was really wanting them to pull me away from the Xbox but that just didn't happen. Not showing the console, the only interesting game being Watch Dogs, and I don't care for all that social aspect and streaming crap.

Just bad.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@i8donuts said:

Is Drive Club in the same universe as Wake-up Club?

My first thought as soon as I read that.

Can anyone speak to hard drive flexibility? If you can use an SSD to hybrid drive this sumbitch, I would be really compelled to get one.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wonder if this will force Microsoft to get very specific in their hardware specs too. Wee!

switters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By switters

@guyincognito: PS4 will be shown in June. Have to save something for E3

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I'm interested in seeing what will come, but looking back nothing they showed blew me away. None of that online stuff interests me and even if it did I could never use any of it the way they talked about because I can't get the blazing fast internet that you would need to do so. While the games certainly looked much prettier, the game play part all just seemed more of the same and none of the games they showed were of gameplay that I enjoy or find appealing. I saw nothing there that is going to pull me away from my PC as my main platform.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks GB crew for the livestream. Had me cracking up the whole time, great stuff. Also Sony had a good showing.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Looks like a lot of cool stuff, could tempt me to jump ship from Microsoft over to Sony.

Stupid question: Is there a photo of the console itself? I can only find UI and conrtoller pics.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really wasn't all that impressed.

• I don't even touch DIablo 3 now, and I have it on PC.
    • Another Killzone game
    • Another inFamous game
    • Watchdogs, a third person shooter
    • Destiny, a first person shooter
    • An already shown Square Enix tech demo

My PC already looks better than current hardware, so I would rather see games doing something different, rather than just looking prettier.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@gerp said:

Do we know if all 8 GB of RAM are gddr5?

They wouldn't have labelled it unified if it wasn't, that's my take on it anyway.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I'm wondering how close the specs to the next 360 will line up with what the PS4 is offering. Most games being multi-console, I'm thinking games released on both systems will basically be the same just as it was this generation. There's sure to be a bit of disparity in the framerates, but beyond that, more of the same just better.

More than ever, it's going to be a battle of non-hardware features that determine which system will come out on top. Sony has way more in this field than I would have imagined with their social sharing focus. Microsoft will have to play follow the leader for the first time since the 360 launched in terms of what they'll need to add to their existing service. Lookin forward to E3 this year =)

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#44  Edited By TheMasterDS

Genuinely impressed, great showing, I feel like I've been sold on a PS4. Which is weird because I felt like I played the PS3 the least of last generations 3 platforms. Whatever. Ball's in Microsoft's court.

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yep, I'm back in on video games. This Christmas? Let's do this.

Punizher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No console, no price, is it official yet dat ps3 games discs wont be compatible with the ps4? ( pretty sure they will put them on the store for u to buy even tho u already own the damn game ) conference took toooooo long not enough games showed it was pretty boring i have to say.

how can u call a conference to show/talk about a product and not actually show it? FAIL imo

but happy about the whole last years OnLive options, play/record/watch

good they keep the same design that i am used to on the controller

i expected more from a +1h30mins bla bla bla conferance, but ofc i will still buy it hopefully they keep the date and we can get one for xmas :P

mcain99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't hear at the meeting that the PS4 would have a Blu-ray drive. Download only games?

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo III

Yes, that Diablo III, from that developer Blizzard, is coming to both the PS4 and PS3 later this year

wat.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Why does the presentation have a picture of a brain for memory? That's not even the right type of memory!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#50 fisk0  Moderator

This may be the first console (unless we count the original Game Boy) that I'll get near or at launch. The promised continuing support for indie games, and some impressive looking first and third party titles along with the streaming and Vita integration looked really interesting. I got pretty hyped watching that press conference, even though I missed the first 30-40 minutes of it.

Were they clear on backwards compatilibity other than the fact that it won't run PS3 games natively? Will it still do PS1 games like the PS2 and PS3 did, and possibly PS2 games? PS3's software emulated titles prove that PS2 games run quite well on that machine even after they removed the actual PS2 hardware from it (even though they opted for selling you the games again rather than just letting you buy the emulator and play your current PS2 DVD's), and surely the PS4 could run that emulator as well, considering this is a powerful x86 PC, and PC's have been able to emulate PS2 games for quite a few years by now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.