Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The Share Button and Copyright Infringement

Ostratego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ostratego

The potential ability of the share button seems to be contradictory to the recent legal practices of publishers.

Months ago, I began hearing word that walkthroughs were being removed from Youtube because of DMCA requests. the owner of YTMND has been contacted to remove content including Sonic, like other IPs, and stop profiting from those posts (note: each YTMND deficits a few dollars). It doesn't seem too far from game journalists being seen as pirates by publishers back in the days.

When I saw the press conference, the share button seemed a little bit iffy because of the above reasons. Publishers probably have the right to block and take down share functionality on their games. I can understand the take down if the reason who was because the content is something offensive or the person sharing is doing it just to be a spoiler troll (although I don't really care much about spoilers), but I hope takedowns don't occur just because "DCMA: nuff' said.".

My ultimate question posed is:

Who controls the button?

(sorry, bad pun)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sony has already said that the developers/publishers have power over what can be shown because of "spoilers."

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure if publishers don't want people to stream gameplay of their games, they are not gonna bother with releasing games on PS4.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raineko said:

I'm sure if publishers don't want people to stream gameplay of their games, they are not gonna bother with releasing games on PS4.

The Xbox One has basically the same thing. So the Wii U just won the generation?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That reminds me. I gotta go get a Twitch channel

Portaljacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

My mind!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jimmyfenix
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By jay_ray

@ostratego: I think the key difference is the "making a profit" line. The publishers that go after the amatuer journalists usually do so because the amatuer journalists are making money by using ads on the youtube videos. Pro journalists like Giant Bomb does not use youtube ads so they sidestep the problem, in the same way the share button won't allow you to profit directly from the videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.