Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Thinking of finally getting a PS4

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Poll Thinking of finally getting a PS4 (150 votes)

Pro 78%
    Slim 22%

I was wondering if the Pro was worth it if I have a TV that does 4K but not HDR. I feel like I'm not super good at noticing the difference between 4k and 1080p

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

4K is great and all but the real advantage of the Pro is that it gives a smoother frame rate in a lot of games, and that applies to any TV. Given the relatively low difference in price (depending on your budget) I think it's worth it. Plus if you upgrade your TV you won't need to get a new PS4.

But I'm generally a "spend a little more to get a better product" person, especially on something like a game console. If you end up playing it 1000 hours (and I have played more PS4 than that, if you include both my launch PS4 and my pro) then it's ten cents an hour, and I'd happily pay that for 4K and a smoother frame rate.

Of course if you're just buying it to play Spider-Man or something YMMV. But there are a lot of great PS4 exclusives, and more on the horizon.

P.S. If you're getting a PSVR then I'd suggest a Pro even more strongly because of the importance of frame rate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9bf8423af62
    deactivated-5b9bf8423af62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Sony Bravia 4K with HDR in the lounge, and a 4K but with HDR only available on 2K in the bedroom. The crispness is definitely noticeable between 2K and 4K (I chose to play God Of War on 4K without HDR for instace) but it's not a dealbreaker. You'll appreciate it when you have it but you won't miss it. Pro is the way to go regardless.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda depends how much that extra money means to you. If $100 isn't going to make a dent in your budget, just get the Pro. The extra res and frame rate is worth it.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Is it me or is it really hard to buy a Pro unless you want to pay more than list from a 3rd party seller?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berfunkle: Wal*Mart has some bundles but yeah, the PS4 Pro seems hard to nab online right now. That's pretty surprising to me given that it's been out for like 2 years now, and we're not THAT close to the holiday.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Same here. Been wanting a PS4 for years and this is the year where I'll pull the trigger on getting one. But after watching how all of this base/slim versus pro stuff has developed over the years and really thinking about which one would be best for me over the past few weeks, I'm going with a slim model for a few reasons: I don't have a 4K display so the visual improvements of resolution upscaling would be lost to me until I upgrade and see the differences first hand. Spending an extra $100 for more frames in one of the five or six games I want for the system doesn't seem worth it to me compared to the over 200 games that I have on PC that would all benefit from a stronger CPU and GPU. After going back to the PS3 with Demon's Souls and the Ratchet & Clank trilogy a few months ago, the games look relatively good on a 1080p display in terms of resolution for games that run in 720p, so I'm imagining that playing current generation console games in 1080p on a 4K display would look pretty similar in terms of quality. And I'm okay with a console game losing some frames because the frame drops in Demon's Souls weren't as bad as how jarring a game stuttering on PC can be for one reason or another; same for Dragon's Dogma for PS3 because I remember it's frame pacing being up to par for most of the hundreds of hours I've put into that game (though I won't say that playing that at a steady 60 frames on PC isn't a nice improvement).

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an OLED TV and a PS4 slim and it's fine. Though I almost never touch my PS4. The pro's 4k is unremarkable but either way I think hdr is way more important. The power gap between the slim and pro isn't worth it and the performance boost is inconsistent. Like Spiderman still runs at 30fps, GoW gets to the mid 40s with a lower resolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Either way, Pro or Regular, you'll have a great console on your hands.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

I think Pro is the easy answer unless money is an issue. That said, I was just reading that Rocksteady is now hiring for development of a next-gen game, so maybe we're not far off from next-gen. Perhaps you might want to wait. You probably want the console for the exclusives though, so I say get the Pro because it does do 4K, but if you really don't notice it and is not a huge factor to you, then just go with what's cheaper I guess. I wouldn't be able to do that myself, but I'm not you obviously. Regardless of 4K though, just having a more powerful console feels nicer since you'll most likely be getting the better running game.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have a launch unit. If I were to upgrade, I’d go Pro. That said, the delta never seemed too huge to me, so I’ve stuck with my launch unit.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Depends on your plans here. Are you just gonna play exclusives? I have a standard PS4 and God of War and SPiderman ran great. those are the only games that thing has played since Horizon came out (not a fan). If you're gonna have this as your primary console, go Pro, though I think the Xbox one X is a better bang for your buck.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a Pro. I have an Xbox One X and I'm very glad I bought it.

I still have an S, which I've just plugged back in to use as a backwards compatibility and non-enhanced console. I use the X for enhanced games or games I'm currently playing a lot of.

It's been explained to death, but you don't need a 4K TV with HDR to see the benefits. There's the smoother framerate, supersampling, and (in the Xbox's case) forced 16x anti-aliasing.

All major games are enhanced these days. The difference between base and Pro/X ranges from noticeable to staggering.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the pro! go big since it's a new console and you don't already have a PS4.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The pro is nice sure it's just a damn shame it doesn't do 4k blu ray. Its pretty dang nice, when you have it. :)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By liquiddragon

I don't have a 4K TV or a Pro or a slim so it's not much help but I haven't had much complaints about my OG PS4. The only thing is the WIFI is really weak. I have to put it in a specific spot in my room where it can catch a signal. I have the same problem with the Switch. Other electronics like my laptop, PS3, and phone don't have this issue.

I'm not sure if it's better on the slim or the Pro, maybe someone can enlightening me. Besides that, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I most always go with head-room most always if it is a choice to be made.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Just get the Pro. I played games at 720p with it for a year and still thought it was worth the performance upgrades.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure the Pro can bump performance sometimes, but weather its worth the extra money is really up to you. I would suggest you taking a look at Digital Foundrys videos just to see the difference in Slim vs Pro performance.

CrazyCarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many games that are "pro enabled" have a framerate mode. Pretty sweet perk if resolution isn't your thing. Many games can lock at 60.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pro is all I use. I have the OG White destiny ps4 as my party console downstairs when friends come over, otherwise, everything is used on my pro. Its slightly quicker and has a little more power so the newer games will not have as much slowdown during certain parts. Just make sure to swap out the HD with something better like a FireCuda so you increase the size and have a quicker HD for even faster loading.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.