Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

User interface screenshots

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

To be honest it looks as though it's borrowing a lot from the new Windows experience. Which I love. Looking good so far!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mandude

Looks in line with their recent PSN interface update, of which I think pretty highly.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By newmoneytrash

It looks pretty rad. Big and fun and clean.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Looks nice and clean, but I expect there to be ads somewhere on there.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kortex

These are all screenshots from the ps4 meeting, i think. what i am interested in the most is what it looks like after you booted the system and how easy it will be to access your library and the store. god, i really hope the don't separate the store from the rest again. starting an app to browse new releases sucks on ps3.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks.. temporary. Something about it seems off to me, and I would've hoped they'd settle for something more stylized/"modern". The new PSN store definitely felt in a step in that direction, so I was surprised to see a layout this simplistic.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By thebunnyhunter

End of an era this is. Goodbye XMB.....i just want to say I loved you

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By djou

@Kinapuff Yes I agree, I hope they do something more stylized, I'm sure with all the console horsepower they could add some animations and textures to pretty it up. Sony didn't disclose how much of the RAM/processor is dedicated to the OS but I assume its enough to have a good interface.

The screen shots make it look a lot like the current PSN interface which runs like ass. I've never cared for the cobalt blue background and the san serif typeface looks too much like the Windows Metro fonts which are just an iteration of Segoe.

Avatar image for superllamafarmer
    SuperLlamaFarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really not liking it. The blue is just too obtrusive, I'd hope you can theme that to something less overwhelming. The rest, the information pages are too cluttered. I like the share / video edit screens more as they have more focus.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Looks like a confusing mess but hey.... that seems to be the trend now days right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the Vita UI, and that's what I'm happy about. I do like the Vita UI to some degree, but that's because it's on a handheld with a massive touchscreen on the front. When news came out that the PS4 controller would also have a touchscreen, I was afraid that they'd try to get the Vita UI to work somehow with a TV and controller. Keep in mind that the XMB was used on a lot of Sony devices, so my fear was that Sony would be trying to make a new universal UI for their products, based on what's on the Vita.

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It could be a lot worse. The UI has obvious inspirations from Windows 8 and other Metro-style services, but it's using a controller so it's fine. Windows 8 is trash because you are trying to use a mouse & keyboard on something made for tablets. That won't be much of a problem for the PS4 and it's controller (possibly even be using the touchpad for the menus).

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Looks fine to me. I appreciate the trend towards tiles, as they make a bunch of stuff on screen seem neat and less cluttered. The more stuff you can pack on the screen, the better.

I'm mainly more concerned with how it runs. It reminds me of the look of the new PSN, and I really like that look, but it runs like a constipated elephant. I suspect those problems will be eliminated with better hardware, but it's hard to say how well it will perform five or six years from launch when there will possibly be a newer, more taxing UI for the PS4 to deal with.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the XMB but I guess this looks fine.

In any case, the 360 taught me that you can have great gaming experiences even if your console has a terrible UI, so I'm not too worried.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks pretty decent. not the most inventive design i've seen, but it seems functional enough. not a big fan of that blue, however.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

To be honest it looks as though it's borrowing a lot from the new Windows experience. Which I love. Looking good so far!

A ton of things are, web design, billboards, and a lot of Mobile OS's are taking a bit of Microsofts design. It's odd to think Microsoft is leading the charge in design now and not Apple or Sony.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Looks pretty clean! I like it a lot!

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RustySanderke

I guess I'll get used to it, although I still miss the XMB on Vita.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.