Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

What do you think the likelihood is that...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

...the Gaikai system will end up being a Netflix style subscription service, where you pay an extra fee every month on top of your PS+ subscription and get in return unlimited play of an "ever expanding library of classic Playstation titles" on both your PS4 and PS Vita? How much would you be willing to pay for access to a service like that?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By damodar

I hope that is exactly what Gaikai ends up being. I would probably pay Netflix-esque fees for such a service, depending on how the latency feels, although it would be cool if Gaikai access is part of your PS+ sub.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think that is very likely, and I have no interest in this type of service, since there are enough new games I want to play.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope it gets included with Plus, that'd really be an extra edge they have against Microsoft. But even then, sure, I never played Uncharted/MGS4 so I'd get it a few times.

Akimbro_Slice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Akimbro_Slice

I was under the assumption that they would have to pay extra for the Gaikai service (server maintenance and more cloud related tech stuff), and figured that's what the mandatory PS+ was about. I monthly subscription fee would suck but I would have to wait and see what content they have available and how everything works (lag/no lag, play while still downloading in background, etc). But I guess the same price as Netflix isn't too bad. I'm gonna have to say nothing more than $9.99 personally.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think that the Gaikai stuff should be rolled into Playstation Plus just to stick it to Mircosoft even harder, but I can see it being a whole separate subscription

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By McShank

If I can play an ever expaning ps1/ps2 Library, well Lets just say I would pay alot. I currently only pay for services such as PS+, netflix, WoW, and a few once a year services which I honestly can add another one for awesome games that cost to much to buy anymore. If they added it to PS+ Sub so instead of like 50$ for a year you can pay for the extra, easily 100$ would be cool. I would probably pay a little more if they had it higher due to that is maybe 1 day worth of work to pay it all off.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

This has pretty much been what I've been hoping for since they announced it. They already have a half-way there version with the free game stuff. They'd just be eliminating the need to download them.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone here used Onlive, it's terrible. But if they can get it right then they should charge for it. Since it would add more expensive to them.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pay a bit extra for it on top of a PS+ sub if it isn't a huge price. Maybe 20-30 extra dollars on top of the yearly PS+ assuming the library of games is substantial.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

But to charge that on top of PS+? I dunno man. I think they'd probably charge on a per game basis.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

On top of PS+, I'd pay $5/month for that service. I missed out on all PS3 exclusives so I would LOVE a netflix style sub. Especially because that means I don't have to hunt down PS2 titles and break out the dusty PS2.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I can't speak to how likely it is, because it all depends on what the cost of implementing it is for Sony. But I will say that I wouldn't think twice before subscribing to it if it was £10 /month or less (On top of PSPlus, obviously).

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's more likely that half of the Gaikai features they touted during the unveil event don't even come out at all.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could happen, but even if they get the stuff on their end perfectly down, it'll really only be a worthwhile service for people with good internet.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be awesome if it was included in with the usual PlayStation Plus sub, but if not I would feel comfortable paying about the same as Netflix. Anything over $10 a month and I would pry end up passing on it.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mrpandaman

So I would bet that every month there is a select few games where regular PS+ members would be able to play, while those who pay the extra fee have access to the entire library of games.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I would love that except my internet would never be able to handle it :(

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That has seemed like the plan right from the word go.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you'll pay $10/month to gain access to all Sony made games and then they'll add other games over time as they sign publishers.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'd could forget about it at 10$ a month and keep my subscription running for way too long without using it ala Netflix.

I'd still subscribe every so often at 20$ but I'd be more diligent about canceling if there were things that I didn't want to play at that time.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? I rather shell out a few bucks for each game that I actually want rather than with a subscription. I guess it would depend on how expensive the games would be though.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Nictel

...the Gaikai system will end up being a Netflix style subscription service, where you pay an extra fee every month on top of your PS+ subscription and get in return unlimited play of an "ever expanding library of classic Playstation titles" on both your PS4 and PS Vita? How much would you be willing to pay for access to a service like that?

I'll pay a max of $/€10 for both together.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's cool, but I'd prefer the option to just buy older games outright for like $10.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@damodar said:

I hope that is exactly what Gaikai ends up being. I would probably pay Netflix-esque fees for such a service, depending on how the latency feels, although it would be cool if Gaikai access is part of your PS+ sub.

Pretty much this. But I'd also like a discounted yearly fee or similar.

Avatar image for liquidinsurgency
    Liquidinsurgency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends on the library of games. If they had all the atlus games and alot of the ps2 jrpgs i would pay 15-20 per month.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never having owned a Ps3, I'd probably pay a few extra bucks on top of plus for it, though that probably wouldn't last once i'd gotten my fill, depending on how much of a premium it is.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really hope it turns out to be that. I would love a Netflix X Gamefly service.

Niall1800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would hope that if they do introduce a subscription to the entire library that I could still buy games individually since there's only a few games I'd be interested in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.