Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Beware - Do not trust current reviews of Headset that works with PS5

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I am in the market for a headset for PS5. I didn't use a headsets much with PS4 after teh first two years, I switched to other games. But recently my groups of friends is doing more game nights online with more games. SO for course I wnat to join in and whebe better than with teh new console. The Tempest 3D AudioTech seems interesting and getting a headsets that uses taht tech well with nice speakers seems worth it.

But, I have noticed a deceptive trend online with reviews of PS5 compatible headsets orruceing with zero testing. Nine out of ten reviews of various headsets do not seem to test the headset on a PS5 at all!!!! What? Why would anyone pretend to review a PS5 headset without testing it on a PS5 a mere week before they could do just that??? What does it's performance on a PS4 or PS4 Pro have to do with it? If I wanted that data I could watch a video from 18 months ago and bough a headset for a PS4 Pro??

So before you buy anything, before you trust the reviews of how a PS5 sounds on a Steelseries, Corsair, Tertelebeach, Legistec or Razor headset wait for actual reviews. Because a lot of small channels are being sent heasests to review for PS5 without those channels actually testing it on a PS5. It is teh worst sort of influencer reviews. And the few reviews of a headsets on a PS5 being done are for Sony's model...which is fine...but they are not in depth review that shows feq response or hard data.

dreadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have used the Astro A50’s for the past two generations and was able to get my hands on the HDMI pass through device for the ps5 but heard you can’t use 3D audio so that’s a bummer... I’m waiting for reviews of the Steelseries Arctis Pro and ps5 usage before I pull the trigger... hopefully it all works out

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arjailer

Isn't it just a standard 3.5mm connector? (or am I wrong?)

Assuming it is, how could they not work on PS5 if they work on PS4?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@arjailer: There was 'working' (making sounds) and then there was working with clarity in sound for game audio and microphone pickup. Also, having the headset take advantage of the Tempest 3D Audio might be what people an, so making sure THAT was tsed and function clearly would have been an issue. If you were buying a headset in 2021 and wanted ist do benefit or reproducers what Sony was offering having a "real world' test would have mattered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.