Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

It looks like the PS1 classics on PS4/5 will have trophies but bad PAL framerates

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The idea of trophy support for older games is intriguing for me. I like achievements and trophies, and they especially remind me when I played certain games and how far I got etc... I would really enjoy being able to play classic games with trophies, but... there's always a catch when it comes to classic games with PlayStation.

I really hope this is wrong or they fix it. How hard could it be to get the North American ROMS? I would be happy to lend them my discs for many of these games. Maybe there's a technical reason that I don't understand, or Sony Europe did a better job of preserving assets in a way that makes it easier to compile the PAL version, but it would be nice to at least get an explanation if we can't get the better versions.

These games are almost 30 years old in some cases, and the PS4/5 are more than capable of emulating them at 60 or even 120 FPS. Xbox can get its classic games running in higher resolutions with better frame rates (in some cases 4K 120) and none of their games are even as old as these PS1 classics, so I'm not sure why Sony is unable to make this work.

They've been emulating the PS1 since the PS3 era. They should know how to do this!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

The trophies are a nice surprise, but they seem to largely just be phoning it in on every aspect of this. So, if they already had a packaged up 50Hz PAL version that they've sold previously, they just went with that rather than do the work to get a 60Hz NTSC version.

It's disappointing. You almost get the feeling that they're setting this thing up to fail just to try to prove their point that most people don't want to play old games.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gtxforza

I also remembered that some PS1 games like Formula 1 95 (Developed by Bizarre Creations and published by Psygnosis), NTSC and PAL natively run on 30 FPS and 25 FPS respectively on the console.

Loading Video...

If you watch through this video, skip to 2:50, then see what I mean.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The consistency at which Sony fucks up its back compat stuff even when it makes the slightest of efforts is impressive.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. The easy option is to use PAL versions for language support. Whatever emulator they've got going on under the hood won't allow you access to a framerate switch.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigsocrates

@shindig: Putting Roms into an emulator is pretty easy. If they wanted to use PAL ROMs in Europe, where that language support is needed, they could do so and still use NTSC roms in NTSC regions or regions where Italian and German support isn't particularly useful. Or, if they were feeling extra frisky, give people the option.

They could also just make a better emulator that could manage frame rates properly. Xbox did that for its emulation of Xbox 360 games (and there was a lot less computational advantage in emulating 360 games on the Xbox One than there is in emulating PS1 games on the PS4 and especially PS5.)

If the answer is that simple then they were being exceptionally lazy. Which is odd because they went through the trouble of adding trophy support, which is probably much more involved than slotting a different ROM into the package for different store fronts.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258
    @bigsocrates said:

@shindig: Putting Roms into an emulator is pretty easy. If they wanted to use PAL ROMs in Europe, where that language support is needed, they could do so and still use NTSC roms in NTSC regions or regions where Italian and German support isn't particularly useful. Or, if they were feeling extra frisky, give people the option.

They could also just make a better emulator that could manage frame rates properly. Xbox did that for its emulation of Xbox 360 games (and there was a lot less computational advantage in emulating 360 games on the Xbox One than there is in emulating PS1 games on the PS4 and especially PS5.)

If the answer is that simple then they were being exceptionally lazy. Which is odd because they went through the trouble of adding trophy support, which is probably much more involved than slotting a different ROM into the package for different store fronts.

There are ways to insert achievements into old games via emulation out there. I've never messed with it myself but it's out there if you want to go hunting it down.

I wonder if they just copied someone else's homework.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.