Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Sony Betting on Streamers with the NEW PS Camera

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

It just seems odd that Sony is making a whole new camera for PS5 that seemly is mostly in the lien up because they think people will stream form their consoles.

I know people do stream on PlayStation, but I never really considered that Sony felt they were making a "big enough dent" in steaming that they needed to make a special peripheral camera to supports that. Yet, I guess they must feel their customers are utilizing streaming to be spending resources to make a NEW camera that integrates with that "Create Button" on the PS DuelSense controller.

I wonder what sort of numbers Sony is seeming from streamers. I will admits I only dip into watching the streaming on PlayStation a bit. Nevertheless, when I am interested in a game "I do" watch streaming of people playing that game! So, maybe, it is working for them and for the streamers. I know that statistics say that most streamers often stream to zero audience; yet, they keep doing it - they just like doing it. In a way Sony improving the accessibility and giving streamers an inexpensive tool ($60) like the PlayStation 5 - HD Camera is useful in a few way. A $60 HD camera that does 1080p and look nice sitting on your TV cannot be all bad...maybe YouTube, Zoom, and other video services will make improved app so you can use your PS5 for things like Zoom calls. [Hey, Sony make a BETTER web browser!!!!]

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By development

Yeah unless they drastically improve the interface and functionality of the streaming stuff they're not gonna see much higher numbers on that front. I messed around with the PS4's streaming stuff twice and it felt like driving without a steering wheel.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they make it available as a PC compatible device it could actually do really well. Webcams have stagnated for a long time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

What a perfect time to bring back the Kinect!

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I can say that anecdotally, years back when I was finding mild success as a streamer (over 100 concurrent viewers throughout each stream), whenever I’d stream directly from PS4, it would bump my expected view count by 20%+, even though I’d lose ALL of my production value. So there does seem to be a focused audience that JUST watches PS4 streams.

Avatar image for hurricanehaines
    hurricanehaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder if the higher fidelity camera leads to better tracking for the psvr? Lord knows it suffers a lot of jittering and juddering in the current setup. Or perhaps theres a ps5 headset which they are yet to reveal... just a thought

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Hunkadunkodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: It was kinda cool from a "turnkey streaming" standpoint how streaming made it's way onto the X1 and PS4. I would love to see some more robust options on the system this go-around but, honestly, I'd be happy with a handful of overlays that are compatible with Twitch, YouTube, etc.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think the great part about streaming on current or upcoming consoles is with two buttons presses and you are streaming with a standard console. Its a "I might as well stream this".

Also, we can all admit, The Playroom™ game was 5% people smoking bongs and flashing. A dangerous game to play with Sony's censors, but it got MORE people watching trying to find that 5%.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.