Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Sony's big PlayStation reveal event

• 106 results
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Date: Thursday, June 11 at 1pm Pacific Time / 9pm BST

Place: the internet

The future is now! (in roughly a few hours to be exact)

Sony is going to reveal the PS5 finally (?) during this event showing us apparently what the future of gaming looks like.

Some fun facts to note:

No Caption Provided

The stream is pre-taped and will be broadcast at 1080p @ 30FPS which is kind of odd about the framerate but apparently it was to ease the production of said reveal.

Sony urges you to listen while wearing headphones - they are possibly trying to illegally scan your ears.

What are your predictions for the stream?

Do you think it's possible they actually won't show the unit yet? - They showed it!

Will they reveal the price?

Which developers are you excited to see showcase their newest games?

I'm certainly curious to see if Santa Monica has even a small hint of a teaser for the next God of War game.

It's great to be somewhat excited for video games once more!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Surely they have to show the console this time, but I'm certain there won't be a price. Just hoping we see at least one of Elden Ring or that WB Harry Potter game.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I don't know what games they'll show, but I think we'll see some actual gameplay; it feels like too good of an opportunity for them to pass up, considering Microsoft's recent misstep.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By redcream

I want that vaguely rumored Sci-fi project led by Cory Barlog to be a reality. I haven't played God of War yet because I skipped this gen but Santa Monica Studios has been churning out only God of War since 2005 so having them create a totally new IP would be massively interesting to me.

I hang out on PS5 subreddit a lot these days and almost all of the rumors have me excited but also made the reveal a little predictable so I want to see something that is out of left field. Surprise me, Sony! Out of the rumored reveals though, I really want Silent Hill to be there and they better treat it the way Capcom treated RE2 Remake.

I'm thinking the box would not be shown yet because it should coincide with the price which I doubt they'll reveal this early given the current situation.

They should also show their SSD advantage in a more concrete way.

All in all, I am so hyped for this and I hope Sony is aware of how much is riding on this reveal.

defordj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

show the unit

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sony can't have my ears, they're my ears.

I think they'll show the console, talk specs, and announce some first party games. I wasn't sure if they would but since it's E3 time I can't possibly imagine delaying it again, and at this point they have the opportunity to strike and punish Xbox for its disappointing presentation.

Also, still holding out hope that we'll get full support for the PS1 and 2 (not sure about 3 because of its unique architecture). I just wanna play Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven in a convenient way this holiday.

Isslander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got just one mad prediction:

Rockstar games presents comes on screen, fades out, then there is a cursor on a computer screen and the word "Agent" gets typed in, hangs on that a bit and then continues until it spells "Agent Gabriel Logan".

Oh shit it's Syphon Filter by Rockstar games!

I wasn't kidding about it being mad

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By liquiddragon

Nintendo revealing the Switch 5 month before its release seemed pretty late but it turned out well so I imagine this is the hardware reveal they would've done at E3. I think they need the image of the box out there and any later seems dangerous, especially with the competition down their throat.

Sony didn't shy away from announcing and/or letting other publishers from announcing games that were really freaking far out at the 1st PS4 outting at E3 in 2013 so it's possible we can be teased about mid gen or even late gen titles a la Kingdom Hearts 3.

No price reveal. GoW 2, Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, GT(7), and maybe even Kojima saying I'm doing a PS5 game. Probably not all of those but 2 or even 3 in any combination is totally possible.

Konami decides to sell PT for $40-50. No new content, resolution bumped up to 4k. Ppl lap it up and I'm disgusted.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Based off various leaks and rumors, for first party I'm predicting God of War 2, Horizon 2 and maybe Spider Man 2. For third party, Resident Evil 8, some Silent Hill thing and the new Call of Duty. Probably some new first party IP thrown in there for good measure too.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By development

They've been putting ads everywhere for this thing, which is weird because I cannot remember ever seeing ads for a console reveal. I can only hope they're going to reveal a Knack III teaser title and then immediately close the curtain and put up the lights.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They shouldn't show the console itself before release at all. Ship it in a box with no picture of the console, either. Intentionally leak a bunch of designs to confuse the public, and make it a surprise upon release. Ensure conditions for the only meaningful unboxing video ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning towards them showing the box but not the price (maybe a rough price but probably not)

I expect all their first party projects will get at least a mention and I reckon they'll show off the supposed SSD data streaming improvements with some Spiderman 2 traversal. God of War 2 will probably get some time devoted to it and surely we'll see something of Horizon 2 and the new Knack...

Pretty excited to see gameplay of any of their next-gen, first party stuff (except Knack tbh) so hopefully there is actually some of that. Hoping they don't end up devoting most of the presentation on the 3D audio stuff, it's just not what I'll be tuning in for personally.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

They should show the unit. I hear it is an absolute.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to see the box!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to hold out hope that there will be a new inFamous but I doubt Sucker Punch was making two games at once.. then again I don’t think they’ve done anything since Second Son all generation. Kind of weird for a studio to live on a single game for that long.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Cerny walks out, says he's done fucking around and then confirms it will play every Playstation game to date. Including Vita.

pajamariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pajamariot

@humanity: Sucker Punch is doing Ghosts of Tsushima.

I hope there's some new IP, maybe see the rumored Demon's Souls remake. Definitely won't be a price, they have to show the system though, right?

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Then he rips off his shirt and he has Parappa the Rapper 3 tattooed on his chest.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doombot13: If Parappa the Rapper 3 gets announced, it's game over for everyone else.

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: What if it just is a (new) Vita?

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kingdom Hearts 4 is a PS7 exclusive.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shindig
    conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By conmulligan

That was a good presentation but there were no real showstoppers. The only exclusive I'm genuinely excited for is Spider-Man, but the way it's titled makes me think it's more of a standalone thing than a true sequel so I'm tempering expectations. The box looks kind of dumb, especially when placed horizontally, but it might grow on me. The fact that they're launching with a digital-only version is probably further evidence that this is going to be an expensive console.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That design drifting awfully close to a dumb Alienware case.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon Forbidden West was a showstopper for me, hard to imagine how that is real. Footage in the HZD reveal was real though, so that's mostly why I'm excited.

TayJaySlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TayJaySlay

I loved the look of Kena and Little Devil Inside. Like Jeff said, Kena really had a Playstation 2 quality to it that I super enjoy. It looks like a Zelda meets Pikmin or something. I thought there was a lot to be excited about throughout the presentation. I have a dumb looking Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Playstation 4 so design obviously doesn't matter to me at all. Stoked!

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I thought this was fine. They had games. They showed games. They showed what the box looks like.

All cool. Nothing that really gets me excited about spending that money though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nothing blew me away to be honest. I absolutely loved the first Horizon - it's one of my favorite games of all time - and them making a second one was a no-brainer. I'm gonna play it and it'll probably be amazing, but it's not the type of announcement to make me jump out of my seat. Same with Demons Souls.

Ghostwire Tokyo, Kena, and Little Devil Inside were the standout titles for me personally because it's stuff I didn't expect and they all look fantastic.

Solid show all-around, but nothing to write home about for me.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking design cues from Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Humanity

@efesell said:

That design drifting awfully close to a dumb Alienware case.

Oh I think it got there. I mean it's a box so whatever, I'm more concerned with the games. At the same time it's nice to not have something that looks like it belongs in your teenage sons bedroom in the living room. In a way I appreciate the way the Series X is just this black brick that doesn't draw attention to itself.

The presence was really good in that they just showed game after game, with UI and gameplay. Thats what people wanted to see. Not everything was a hit but there were at least 5 games in there that I thought "hey I'd like to play that!" which is 5 more than that Microsoft press conference. Hopefully they learn from this and show more raw gameplay during their next conference. I sure do love Game Pass so I would love to stick with the Xbox next generation but if there games aren't there then I have no problem moving back to Playstation again.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The PS5 looks like the computer that houses a sexy AI the protagonist falls in love with before it tries to kill him in some Christopher Nolan movie.

In all seriousness, I think the name and look of a console are literally the two least important things about it. Still, who has space for this? Entertainment centers aren't usually set up for vertical electronics.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So maybe I just didn't notice bc ps4 was all I had and didn't have a pc but....what do I play on this thing when I buy it??

Spiderman and a few small games that could be hit or miss and probably aren't exclusive were all we got for this holiday. Hit man at least got a month(January) but everything else could be Dec 31 2021 for all we know.

Is 3rd party usually the bulk of a console launch?? Figured we'd have at least a couple games.

And on the note of the Spiderman game, if that great Peter Parker only gets one game I'm going to be sort of bummed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna play Spiderman as soon as it's out and if I've gotta buy a PS5 to do that, so be it. Shame they didn't show more of it but most of the games they showed, I wanted to play, even if they are coming later.

I loved everything about Horizon so the sequel was a standout moment for me, the box looks like balls but I don't really care.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting more. But it's a launch, so, I guess its expected. Honestly Halo is more interesting than these games so, probably going xbox. We'll see what happens. Two launch games from insomniac? Those guys are amazing if that's true.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Seikenfreak

A bunch of cool games I'm interested in. And I think the console itself looks cool. Disappointed I can't put my pre-order in.

GT7 wooWOO! Kena, Little Devil Inside, Sackboy Adventure, Astro Bot Adventure thing, Horizon 2, Demons Souls.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#37  Edited By berfunkle

The digital PS5 version looks cleaner, more ascetically pleasing to my eye while the disc version has that bulge at one end.

Okay, so that's not the main reason why I'm getting the digital version, but it certainly helped with my decision.

bakoomerang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought opening with the GTA stuff was a bad choice, but that's probably because I think GTA is asinine garbage.

When they originally unveiled the new controller there was some speculation that there might be other colour schemes available. Now that they've shown the box to match, do you still think there could be other options at launch, or is this gonna be it?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Solid showing. Nothing that's going to make me buy in the first year, but also a lot of stuff I'm definitely going to want to pick up eventually. Sexy box, too.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE8 looks cool but it was Little Devil Inside that really caught my eye. Really cute and funny. There were plenty of interesting games (with gameplay!) so I'd say this was a solid showing.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No Caption Provided

I took a screen grab of the disk drive version lying horizontally. Looks like we have to use a horizontal stand? While I think the disk drive version looked terrible vertically, it looks fine lying down.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Not a bad showing at all, as far as "Yo look at these dang video games." I'm very excited to play RE 8 and Deathloop on the PC I'm probably going to build later this year.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. At least when it's standing up it doesn't look like a modernist couch from 1965.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tp0p: Spiderman is launch, R&C they didn't put a date on.

I'd say it was a better showing than the Inside Xbox showing (not that would take much) but I wasn't blown away either. So many of the games shown look like they're 2021 or beyond so what other than Spiderman is coming with the PS5 launch that's not third party?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted an Alienware looking motherfucker and I got it.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I'm a bit concerned that Spiderman Miles Morales will just be the same map and objectives with some new powers. It'll likely be a day one game for me regardless since the last one played so well. Still hoping for a Spider Gwen game with that engine someday!

I'm pretty into the design of the console itself and the rest of the "product family." It looks sleek and unlike anything else. Interested to see how it'll look in an actual living room rather than a white void.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope the Valley of Defilement on that Demons remaster will run at 15-20FPS keeping the tradition alive into the next gen.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@nateandrews said:

I'm a bit concerned that Spiderman Miles Morales will just be the same map and objectives with some new powers. It'll likely be a day one game for me regardless since the last one played so well. Still hoping for a Spider Gwen game with that engine someday!

Yeah, given the name and relatively quick turnaround I'm working on the assumption that this is closer to a full-length standalone expansion than an actual sequel.

lordcaedus27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think it looks a little overdesigned. Like an art department run by 15 year old kids drew up what a "console of the future" should look like and then designed from that. It's a little ostentatious. That said, it's probably just going to sit behind my tv anyway so...whatever i guess.

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks so bad that I have decided not to buy it. I realize that's an extreme position, but it shares nothing in common from a design standpoint to anything I own and I would thus have no effective way to blend it in in the area around my tv. Hopefully the eventual slim will be less attention-seeking.

I think the XSX looks much better, but I have no interest in buying that since I have a decently-capable PC that will continue to get upgraded, so I may be out of tv-based next-gen gaming for a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.