Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

Hideki Kamiya calls Sony all-star super smash bros a rip-off

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tobiass

Hideki Kamiya(Devil may Cry,Bayonetta, Resident Evil) calls Sony all-star super smash bros a rip-off and moral-less game and the Sony defense crazies do what they do best...

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITT we are all console warriors

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By YI_Orange

Isn't it a ripoff though?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Nubster

I don't now about what anyone else thinks, but this dude is being kind of a complete fucker.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SomeJerk

It's a blatant ripoff and I wonder how they're not eating legal action and I want to play it more than I want to play Smash Bros and fuck those retards attacking him. It's an attack on freedom of speech, but not quite freedom of speech, because every reasonable human capable of logical thought can see it is a ripoff.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@The_Nubster said:

I don't now about what anyone else thinks, but this dude is being kind of a complete fucker.

All he did was state his opinion of the game on Twitter and then started manhandling the fanboys coming out of the woodwork. That's not exactly being a complete fucker.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

Loving this dude's twitter! Hope he keeps it up. I don't hate All-stars, I'm just liking how silly he's acting right now!

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I think he couldn't care less about it being a Sony product, so much as it is just a blatant Smash Bros rip-off. The only question is why it took Sony so long to make it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

@YI_Orange: It is... sony knows it we know it.. nintendo knows it... but also every 1st person shooter for years after Doom was released was a "Doom Clone" if this becomes big enough to break into its own sort of sub-genre of game the comparisons will stop.

Also, Kamiya is such a goddamn amazing twitter troll. Love the guy. Hope he gets to make more Bayonetta.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadyPingu

Oh man, that is just great.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By impartialgecko

Oh no you didn't Hideki Kamiya (Devil may Cry,Bayonetta, Resident Evil). He's just giving people an excuse to voice their misgivings. That being said, at least All-Stars isn't trying to disguise the fact that it's borrowing every element it has from Smash Bros. It's refreshing after the few hundred "yeah it's cover-shooting BUT here's this gimmick" Gear's ripoffs we've had to put up with for years. Hey, it has been a long arse time since a Smash Bros game came out.

Also Sony crazies are adorable, they're like Nintendo fanatics but can't deal with disappointment as well.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

It is a rip off.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheFreeMan

It is a shameless ripoff and seeing the Sony folk coming out to go after him is pretty funny. Coming from the guy behind Okami, it's extra goofy.

I'll probably still give it a shot, though!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShadowConqueror

He's right.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Aegon

Kamiya, why are you being a dick? You made my fave game ever :'(

It's ok to hold the opinion that it's a rip off, but going about it this way...ugh

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

And his opinion matters...why? I feel like "no shit" is in order with regards to complaining about the product. If Nintendo isn't suing, whatever, let Sony have their game.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By williamhenry

@SomeJerk said:

It's a blatant ripoff and I wonder how they're not eating legal action and I want to play it more than I want to play Smash Bros and fuck those retards attacking him. It's an attack on freedom of speech, but not quite freedom of speech, because every reasonable human capable of logical thought can see it is a ripoff.

Its a ripoff, but it doesn't reach the legal standards to warrant a lawsuit.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By landon

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

It is a rip off.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By PufferFiz

Protip guys you cant copyright types of games, if sony wants to make a 4 player fighter that has popular franchise characters they can.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kindgineer

Since when has Smash Bros. been unique enough in the first place for it to be considered "copying?" I'm sorry, but it's just a party-brawler. The reason we don't get to see new iterations of these types of "genres" is because of idiots like this that intimidate the market. There are countless "Minecraft" and "Terraria" clones surfacing now, but you don't really see the developers of those companies running their mouths often, if ever. I think a little modesty needs to be thrown his way so he can see that not every thing they touch should be un-touchable.

Super Smash Bros. is a great game but I feel like there really needs to be another rendition of it, maybe on every console. It's too good of a formula for professionals to join the fan-boy crowd and start yapping their mouths off at stuff every developer is guilty of. The sad thing about all of this is that someone of high-regard (the man in the OP's post) is going to fuel the fire for like-minded fan-boys to start voicing their opinions and we're going to have another cluster fuck in the journalism pipe.

I enjoyed All-Stars and think it's a good addition to the field. I really hope that they don't create an intimidating atmosphere so that like-minded developers are too scared to enter the domain.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunkulese

@SomeJerk said:

What kind of legal action would happen? There wouldn't be very many games out if companies could file lawsuits against any game that was similar to theirs.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By moywar700

People always use "rip-off" in the wrong context.A rip-off means a product that is poorly made and copied.Take toys as an example. Some retailers will copy Disney toys and change them just enough so they won't get sued by cooperates. The toys will usually end up being poor quality and thus a rip-off.

Inspired is a better word.Super smash bros inspired this game. All you guys should care about is if the game is good or not.Many things like mythology or movies have inspired countless of stories.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By YoungFrey

It's a rip-off. But that is like saying the 2nd FPS was a ripoff. They have their own characters, moves, and stages. Rip-offs are a very common thing in media. I think he's taking it too far saying it's immoral.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

@The_Nubster said:

All he did was state his opinion of the game on Twitter and then started manhandling the fanboys coming out of the woodwork. That's not exactly being a complete fucker.

Saying that Sony threw away their morals by making this game (or whatever the hell he's saying) is, though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

@The_Nubster said:

Saying that Sony threw away their morals by making this game (or whatever the hell he's saying) is, though.

Nope. Because once again, that's his opinion.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 49th

No shit kojima go back to metal gear

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By august

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

ITT we are all console warriors

I regret I have only one life to give for my console.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well yeah, that's because it is a rip-off, like other people are saying. Or, for the purpose of semantics, it is "inspired" by SSB or an "homage".

People have been saying good things about it, though and, if anything, this will incite competition with the other major character compilation, party fighting game franchise, making for a better product for us consumers in the end. Don't see why that's a bad thing.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MariachiMacabre

He's right, though.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

Is opinion free reign to be an asshole? Also, isn't "that's just [pronoun's] opinion" just a shady way of ending any and all conversation?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mesoian

@Tobiass: ::Shrugs:: he's right. What will make or break this game is how well it stands on it's own and what it does differently from Smash, but let's face it, this is pretty much a smash clone with deeper attention to competitive multiplayer.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mesoian

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

Is opinion free reign to be an asshole? Also, isn't "that's just [pronoun's] opinion" just a shady way of ending any and all conversation?

Yes. It's called free speech. It's what our constitution is based off of...

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Deusx

@ck1nd said:

Since when has Smash Bros. been unique enough in the first place for it to be considered "copying?" I'm sorry, but it's just a party-brawler. The reason we don't get to see new iterations of these types of "genres" is because of idiots like this that intimidate the market. There are countless "Minecraft" and "Terraria" clones surfacing now, but you don't really see the developers of those companies running their mouths often, if ever. I think a little modesty needs to be thrown his way so he can see that not every thing they touch should be un-touchable.

Super Smash Bros. is a great game but I feel like there really needs to be another rendition of it, maybe on every console. It's too good of a formula for professionals to join the fan-boy crowd and start yapping their mouths off at stuff every developer is guilty of. The sad thing about all of this is that someone of high-regard (the man in the OP's post) is going to fuel the fire for like-minded fan-boys to start voicing their opinions and we're going to have another cluster fuck in the journalism pipe.

I enjoyed All-Stars and think it's a good addition to the field. I really hope that they don't create an intimidating atmosphere so that like-minded developers are too scared to enter the domain.

Smash bros IS unique. Theres NEVER been a fighting/brawling game like that. Seriously you don´t see the similarities between both games? The speed of the combat, the artstyle, the same platform brawling, the changing stages, the UI, the character intros, the almost identical character dimensions. It IS a rip off. Yes, there are lots of games that get the same treatment and the developers don´t "run their mouths" about it but does that suddenly make what Sony is doing a good thing? No. That´s just wrong in any way. I think All-Stars is a despicable attempt from Sony to keep their horribly numb and week franchises relevant. I hear people cheering for EA suing Zynga over the similarities between the Sims and The Ville but oh god forbid someone talks shit about a game I want to play on my beloved PS3. I do have a PS3 and I enjoy playing games on it btw but fuck that.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mesoian said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

Our? Ignoring the fact that I'm Lunarian, the guy in question is Japanese; I doubt the United States Constitution applies to him.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darklight

@Video_Game_King said:

@Mesoian said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

Our? Ignoring the fact that I'm Lunarian, the guy in question is Japanese; I doubt the United States Constitution applies to him.

And the point is... even if it's his opinion, that does not mean he does not come as an asshole saying it.

For example I could say "X is an idiot and i hate him.". That's my opinion of this person/group, does it mean I can't be judged for what i said? Sure i can. Some could say my way of saying it was totally uncalled for or immature. Same thing apply here.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Deusx said:

Smash bros IS unique. Theres NEVER been a fighting/brawling game like that.

You sure?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Darklight said:

And the point is... even if it's his opinion, that does not mean he does not come as an asshole saying it.

For example I could say "X is an idiot and i hate him.". That's my opinion of this person/group, does it mean I can't be judged for what i said? Sure i can. Some could say way of saying it was totally uncalled for or immature. Same thing apply here.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Mesoian said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

The Japanese constitution drafted after World War II also grants freedom of speech.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Deusx

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

Smash bros IS unique. Theres NEVER been a fighting/brawling game like that.

You sure?

I rephrase that, it IS unique in the sense that it is the first game that did the stuff it does well. There´s been similar games like Power Stone 2 and others but the concept wasn´t perfectioned since Smash Bros and IF you can find a game that looks as similar as All-Stars does to Smash bros then fuck you too Nintendo for stealing shit.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By TheHT

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

There's nothing shady about it. It's just a cop-out.

example:

Person A: Video_Game_King is a retarded fucking moron with an utter lack of intelligence and complete disregard for all life.

Person B: Based on what?

Person A: My opinion, BEEYOTCH.

Additionally, as you can see in that example, being a complete fucker and opinions are indeed mutually exclusive.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel:

I actually looked that up after I wrote that post; I just love being pedantic.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Deusx said:

and IF you can find a game that looks as similar as All-Stars does to Smash bros then fuck you too Nintendo for stealing shit.

Jump Super Stars

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

and IF you can find a game that looks as similar as All-Stars does to Smash bros then fuck you too Nintendo for stealing shit.

Jump Super Stars

Which also happens to be a Nintendo-published game.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By Daneian

@49th said:

No shit kojima go back to metal gear

uhh...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TheHT said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

There's nothing shady about it. It's just a cop-out.

That's exactly what's so shady about it.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MethodMan008

I love Kamiya. And I love PlayStation. WHAT DO I DO?!?! :P

But serioously, Kamiya is the best troll on twitter. He is awesome.

I love all the Japanese game dev dudes I follow on twitter.. Ono, Harrada, Kamiya, SWERY.. It's pretty surprising Kojima-san is the most boring of the bunch.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deusx

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

Jump Super Stars

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

Jump Super Stars

Which also happens to be a Nintendo-published game.

For the Nintendo DS. Oh you guys make me laugh. You know Smash Brothers was released on 1999, right?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Milkman

Kamiya is the fucking man.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Oh...

@Deusx said:

For the Nintendo DS. Oh you guys make me laugh. You know Smash Brothers was released on 1999, right?

But, weren't you talking as if SSB was the only game of its kind before All-Stars?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

And to all the people having a serious debate this...really?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.