Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale is Sony's Super Smash Brothers

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By TwoArmed

From the footage on Game Informer, it looks like a slower version (gameplay speed-wise) of Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl in that it seems more like the very first Smash Bros. I'll be curious to see what the roster ends up looking like come release, but I just can't imagine it having a roster that a bunch of people will really care about. Yeah, part of the appeal with Smash Bros. was that you could finally see all these characters in one game beating the crap out of each other, but all of the characters in Smash Bros. (except for maybe the Fire Emblem reps I guess?) basically have huge fanbases that pretty much dwarf the Sony characters. I can't imagine the draw of seeing Sony characters mashed together having anywhere near the pull, though I guess this fills an empty spot on the Playstation as there's nothing like it on there. Regardless, I definitely plan to keep my on this to see how it progresses.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#152  Edited By WrenchNinja

@GunslingerPanda said:

@WrenchNinja said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@MmaFanQc said:

before the "oh my gawd its a blatant ripoff" comments begin,

The King of Fighters was released by SNK in 1994

Fighter's Megamix was released by Sega in 1996

X-Men vs Street Fighter was released by Capcom in 1996

You're right; Smash Bros. looked identical to all of those games. Everyone stop whining.

Woosh

Keep quiet over there, son. Nobody thinks you're clever.

You're not my father. I can't be part pony.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't care if this is a ripoff, don't care one bit. I remember hoping for something like this when the playstation 2 was just coming out, so I am happy a childhood dream is going to exist.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By TheHBK

@MmaFanQc said:

before the "oh my gawd its a blatant ripoff" comments begin,

The King of Fighters was released by SNK in 1994

Fighter's Megamix was released by Sega in 1996

X-Men vs Street Fighter was released by Capcom in 1996

But when Nintendo released Smash Brothers its like they invented the crossover fighting genre like Apple invented touchscreen smart phones.

This is an old tried and true genre and successful formula every major game development company should have.

after all, arent all the FPS games a blatant ripoff of Wolfenstein3D?

sure the gameplay is very VERY similar to ssb, but honestly its not a reason for the nintendo fans to go apeshit because the gameplay is similar.

..if the game is good and fun...whats the problem? ...and what if the game end up being better and more fun than ssb?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the crossover aspect. Sure, having all your characters come together is something that has been done many times, though here, is very jarring. Nintendo's characters kinda fit together, whimsical and cartoony. Sweet Tooth fighting Sack Boy? I guess... Anyway, what seems to be ripped off more than anything is the gameplay and look of it. The way the characters bounce, rules, just what makes Smash Bros, Smash Bros. Since Smash Bros was released more than 10 years ago, we have not seen any other fighting game like it, until now.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By kurtbro900

I finally understand why that shot of superbot studio had a wii in the background. Somebody said console wars are dead but no, they just had to play a ton of smash brothers to figure out what to copy.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By WrenchNinja

@SeriouslyNow said:

history

Having a couple of dudes from a team doesn't suddenly make it not a rip off. Not that I don't think this game isn't a rip-off, cause it's blatant as hell. You should watch some of the game play discussion at GT, it plays pretty differently from Smash. Whether, it's good or not, I don't know. It's interesting, but then this whole situation has been.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By TheSmashing

Looks fun, and that's what matters most.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@WrenchNinja said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

history

Having a couple of dudes from a team doesn't suddenly make it not a rip off. Not that I don't think this game isn't a rip-off, cause it's blatant as hell. You should watch some of the game play discussion at GT, it plays pretty differently from Smash. Whether, it's good or not, I don't know. It's interesting, but then this whole situation has been.

It bloody well does. A couple of KEY dudes who are utterly tied to the whole evolution of the Street Fighter series. You're discounting something you have no knowledge of.

Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#159  Edited By Biddy

Danny Trejo weilding move contollers!

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By fishinwithguns

@TheHBK: Well there was that TMNT fighting game right? That was just Smash Bros. with Ninja Turtles. Or maybe it never even got released, I almost feel like I'm making it up because I'd seen so little of it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#161  Edited By Hailinel
    @needforswede

@TheHBK: Well there was that TMNT fighting game right? That was just Smash Bros. with Ninja Turtles. Or maybe it never even got released, I almost feel like I'm making it up because I'd seen so little of it.

It was released and was also quickly forgotten.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#162  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That certainly looks like a certain popular Nintendo party game.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#163  Edited By evanbower

Celebrating Sony's rich history with franchises that started 3 years ago!

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Draxyle

This whole thing can really only get a resounding "meh" out of me; it still feels pointless. While their games are all well and good, I've never seen anyone be passionate about the characters from any of these Sony franchises. The only characters that have even come close to "mascot" status are.. Crash Bandicoot? Sackboy? None of them have that classic "legendary" status that half of the Smash Brothers characters have. You're not going to see people go crazy over character reveals like they did during the Brawl update phases.

Of course that's just silly nitpicking for a game that might actually be fun, but it's a much smaller audience that will really want this.

Toug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#165  Edited By Toug

Pick a side Snake! We're at war!

3rdrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By 3rdrocket

I like how he couldnt just basically come out in the vid and just say "uhhh yeah guys.... we basically ripped the fuck off of nintendo again. so ummm yeah."

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By ShadowConqueror

SNAAAAAAAAKE!?

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By TonyBlue87

Some of my wish list:

Kurt from MDK
    Robbit from Jumping Flash, with Muu Muu's tagging along (Pikmin style)
    Crash Bandicoot (and cast from first 3 games)
    Spyro and friends
    Abe from Abe's Odyssey 
    Tomba
    Mr. Domino being tortured in the background (Because screw that game)
    Grey Fox
    The fighters from Gekido
    Raziel and Kain

I'll think of more, I'm sure.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#169  Edited By AngelN7

@T_Diamond said:

A few friends of mine have been following this since it was first announced. I wonder if the fighting community will hate this too?

No items! Final Destination!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Silver-Streak

Cole McGrath, Nathan Drake, Nathan Hale, Solid Snake, Jak (And Daxter), Ratchet(and clank), um... Maybe the unlockable robot from Sports Champions. Both main characters from Folklore. Nariko from Heavenly Sword. Maybe Wander from Shadow of the Collosus, because that stage would be awesome. Oh, and Walter Goddamned Sullivan.

Those are the few PS3/Sony centric characters I could think of off the top of my head I'd want to see in it. Even though Solid Snake and Cole McGrath have also both been in other fighting games.

I enjoyed Super Smash Brothers. This might be cool. Also, as said, Kevin Butler should totally be the announcer.

Hell, the whole game should be prefaced as taking place in Kevin Butler's dreams.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By WrenchNinja

@SeriouslyNow said:

It bloody well does. A couple of KEY dudes who are utterly tied to the whole evolution of the Street Fighter series. You're discounting something you have no knowledge of.

Looking at the guy's original post, he was arguing something completely different from myself, and I apologize. You are correct here. My fault for quoting someone quoting half a post.

What I was trying to argue, albeit poorly, that all these titles listed looked like ripoffs but continue to be popular and well revered games, albeit not as much as the inspiration. People see the surface elements and call things out. When most people saw KoF, they saw another Street Fighter ripoff, whether it played differently or not. That's what I was trying to get at.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By AngelN7

@Draxyle said:

This whole thing can really only get a resounding "meh" out of me; it still feels pointless. While their games are all well and good, I've never seen anyone be passionate about the characters from any of these Sony franchises. The only characters that have even come close to "mascot" status are.. Crash Bandicoot? Sackboy? None of them have that classic "legendary" status that half of the Smash Brothers characters have. You're not going to see people go crazy over character reveals like they did during the Brawl update phases.

Of course that's just silly nitpicking for a game that might actually be fun, but it's a much smaller audience that will really want this.

The same thing can be said about Smash really wich when you think about is just Mario and his posee from the Mario Party games , some dudes from Fire Emblem, Link(s), Samus and a bunch of Pokemon, is Olimar "legendary" ? who the hell was Meta Knight? I didn't heard from him before playing Brawl just like Pit the notion that Nintendo characters are more relevant and are above the Sony characters is a fallacy specially when those Sony characters all come from different franchises while most of the roster in Smash Bros is from Nintendo's B tear games or just flatout dead franchises.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#173  Edited By EuanDewar

Saying right now that if this game has Kevin Butler in it in any sort of physical form I will buy it day one, regardless of quality.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#174  Edited By VincentVendetta

Uh... no. Do not want. When I said I wanted new IPs, I did not mean that!

Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#175  Edited By Vlaphor

Watching that video, all I can think of is that it's an April Fools joke almost a month late. That has got to be one of the biggest rip-offs I have ever seen. Seriously, at this point, at the only character that I would add to this game would be the Great Giana Sisters

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Not a big Sony player, so most of these guys don't really strike a nerve. At least I recognize all of them. Wonder how this will compare to Brawl, feature-wise. That game had some stuff.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#177  Edited By TehFlan
    @laserbolts said:

This just makes me realize how better nintendo characters are.

Yeah... 
    I like Smash Bros. enough that if this is any good, I'll be super excited about it, but I can't imagine it having enough good characters for me to actually care. I mean, Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank would be pretty cool, but other than that I don't really care.
    retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#178  Edited By retrovirus

I am so glad for this. Smash Bros Melee is one of my favorite games, and the same formula with better online and graphics is just what I wanted.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sure its all stolen and copied, sure.
    But the guy in the video talking as if he's picked to work on the fucking most divine game ever? Please no.
    I got a sudden headache from this nonsense.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By MmaFanQc

@TheHBK said:

Since Smash Bros was released more than 10 years ago, we have not seen any other fighting game like it, until now.

Technically Smash Bros could be a rip off from Capcom's Power Stone series, but i dont even care since i liked power stone and liked ssb, and from the look of it, i will also like Ps AllStars BR.

meanwhile some fangirls will keep hating for futiles reasons...but you can't explain logic to these kids born in 1995 and up because they refuse to see logic.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By AngelN7

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Sure its all stolen and copied, sure. But the guy in the video talking as if he's picked to work on the fucking most divine game ever? Please no. I got a sudden headache from this nonsense.

A guy who works for Sony got picked by Sony to work on a game involving many franchises of that company I don't know where you get the "fucking most divine game ever" from but ok.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By kurtbro900

@MmaFanQc said:

@TheHBK said:

Since Smash Bros was released more than 10 years ago, we have not seen any other fighting game like it, until now.

Technically Smash Bros could be a rip off from Capcom's Power Stone series, but i dont even care since i liked power stone and liked ssb, and from the look of it, i will also like Ps AllStars BR.

meanwhile some fangirls will keep hating for futiles reasons...but you can't explain logic to these kids born in 1995 and up because they refuse to see logic.

Seeing as the first Smash Brothers was released a month before the first Power Stone, I don't think it could technically be a rip off. just sayin.

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#183  Edited By phatcat

The game looks too busy.

The best thing about smash is even with the craziness the characters really pop.

Here you can see they had to outline all the characters, even then the backgrounds are too detailed and busy to really understand WTF is going on.

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Axelhander

Anyone saying "Nintendo characters are better and that makes me want to play this game less" and the like:

Seriously? Really?

Because I've been playing these characters since the NES's release, and before (Popeye portable arcade machine by Nintendo) and I'm having difficulty comprehending why their appeal is so much greater, apparently, than the characters in Sony's offering.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelN7 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Sure its all stolen and copied, sure. But the guy in the video talking as if he's picked to work on the fucking most divine game ever? Please no. I got a sudden headache from this nonsense.

A guy who works for Sony got picked by Sony to work on a game involving many franchises of that company I don't know where you get the "fucking most divine game ever" from but ok.

The way he talks about the franchises used, the characters and what they're accomplishing.
    I get that this is all PR but shit, sugarcoating it still ain't gonna make it anything more than a copy.

What am I getting into anyway by commenting.
    Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Residentrevil2

I know less than half of the characters in this game. The majority of the ones that I do know do not appeal to me. But, I don't really enjoy brawlers.

Maybe this will work? The PS Move is loved by millions, no?

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By DougQuaid

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

But!.. but.. Parappa can use his skateboard because he loves skateboarding.. and music.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By paulunga

Great, Super Smash Bros. with characters no one gives a shit about!

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By AngelN7

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@AngelN7 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The way he talks about the franchises used, the characters and what they're accomplishing. I get that this is all PR but shit, sugarcoating it still ain't gonna make it anything more than a copy. What am I getting into anyway by commenting.

He's the game director not a PR guy , well I don't know I don't get that from his tone, they probably know they aren't making a masterpiece just a silly fanservice game that looks a lot like another silly fanservice game from another company.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By TheKing

Smash Brothers but with much worse characthers? No thanks...

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Xeirus

@KingCrimson4life said:

Drew returns from north korea is premium? fuck you giant bomb. You are North Korea

Yup because that's totally game related and you would get that for free from any other site.

How about you go through the SHIT LOAD of free content from the past couple of years or grow a pair and pay the ridiculously cheap member fee or shut the hell up.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelN7 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@AngelN7 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The way he talks about the franchises used, the characters and what they're accomplishing. I get that this is all PR but shit, sugarcoating it still ain't gonna make it anything more than a copy. What am I getting into anyway by commenting.

He's the game director not a PR guy , well I don't know I don't get that from his tone, they probably know they aren't making a masterpiece just a silly fanservice game that looks a lot like another silly fanservice game from another company.

"And then you have Kratos, from perhaps the best looking game on the planet" for example.
    Its PR and its just awful to hear.
    Grognard66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#193  Edited By Grognard66

Monkey see, Monkey do...

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By MiniPato

All I can think of is that this game looks ugly. I'm not a big nintendo fan, but man, they had a good artstyle to work with with their Super Smash Bros games. This game looks like an ugly mash up of characters that should never have been in the same room together. Maybe if they had applied an overall artstyle to all of the characters instead of just taking all the characters as is and just tossed them in there. I don't know, it just works with SSB and seeing this game just really turns me off.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#195  Edited By Lava

I'm ok with this, sure it is a blatant rip off of Smash Bros. but whatever, should at least be given a chance. Who knows, it could be really good.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By MmaFanQc

@kurtbro900 said:

@MmaFanQc said:

@TheHBK said:

Seeing as the first Smash Brothers was released a month before the first Power Stone, I don't think it could technically be a rip off. just sayin.

With all this noise I can't help wondering if some people feel threatened.

It's not like Nintendo originated all the concepts within Smash Brothers by themselves, in 1999 alone you also had Rakugaki Showtime and Powerstone released.

...and frankly I think some competition will force Nintendo to work a bit harder on the next SSB

btw, just because a game isn't original doesn't mean it's a complete write-off. I mean, Crash Team Racing copied a lot of elements from Mario Kart. But here's the thing: it's a really good racing game. It's fast-paced, there's some good track designs, the weapons are balanced: it's probably one the best racing games I've played. In comparison Mario Kart 64 comes across as a bit weak, or so I feel. Okay, yes, we should strive for originality, but innovation and quality are not automatically synonymous. A good idea may be executed poorly and if someone is going to try something else with that idea, why shouldn't they? Maybe this game will bring something new. Maybe it won't. Maybe it'll be an enjoyable experience, maybe even BETTER... and is that really so bad?

Finally, I'm getting pretty tired of people claiming Sony are totally unoriginal. For all their strengths, Nintendo launched the 3DS with a range of games that were almost entirely sequels. The games we're getting excited for from Nintendo are both Mario games. They'll be fun and interesting, but it's still a Mario game. Sony launched the Vita with Uncharted, yes, but we also had Escape Plan and Gravity Daze. Not to mention the fact we've had the likes of Vib-Ribbon, Patapon, Flower, Journey and LittleBigPlanet, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls Heavy Rain, God of War.... all have been published by Sony or created by Sony's internal development teams

they created a lot of new stuff, ...if you care to look for it and not just arbitrarily designate it as ripoff bastards. Meanwhile others still surf on their old copy & paste bad habit....but i know...i shouldnt say that, it may offend some peoples.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By kurtbro900

@MmaFanQc: Most Sony published titles aren't unoriginal, I agree. But honestly I couldn't really tell what you were saying most of the time.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#198  Edited By Hailinel
    @MmaFanQc It's still a rip-off, despite your verbose defense.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#199  Edited By turboman

The game is still clearly in early stages of development. I'll give it a few more months till I love it or hate it.

When did Giant Bomb's comment section turn into Console Wars? This type of game was inevitable for Sony, and there is tons of playstation characters I care about.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#200  Edited By Fearbeard

Looks pretty awful, but I'm not a Smash Brother fan either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.