Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale is Sony's Super Smash Brothers

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By drac96

The news that you can only score with supers leaves me a bit skeptical. They instantly kill, so the only reason to actually fight is to gain meter?

Other than that the game looks fun. Even if it is just a Smash Bros. Ripoff. I love Super Smash, so I'll probably love this too.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#202  Edited By KamasamaK

@evanbower said:

Celebrating Sony's rich history with franchises that started 3 years ago!

Poor premise for judgment. First, the only revealed character from such a new franchise is "Fat Princess" -- that's not franchises. Also, the original Super Smash Brothers had Pikachu and Jigglypuff whose franchise also premiered 3 years prior to its release.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#203  Edited By AngelN7

And I thought this will get us closer to the Legally impossible end all be all fighter featuring popular characters from gaming best franchises .... but people don't like it when someone else does it I guess.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#204  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I don't mind that it's a blatant rip off as long as it's good. 

3rdrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#205  Edited By 3rdrocket

@MmaFanQc: its retarded to think people are thinking its a ripoff cuz its a mix of characters from all different franchises thats not even a issue. Its that it basically looks like fucking brawl dlc with sony characters.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By MmaFanQc

@Hailinel: so i guess i will see you stating that all the future and past FPS are blatant ripoffs of wolfeinstein3d? ...or maybe every 2d plateformers a ripoff of mario bros. ?

I would hate to live in a world where games couldn't lift good ideas from other games for fear of getting branded a thief. (Sorry guys, you can't use the dual analogue control scheme for your first person shooters because Halo did it already. You have to use the right trigger to move left, up on the directional pad to shoot etc. because that is the only control scheme not used yet.)

My point is that developers should be free to use what has proven to work without fear of being labelled rip-off artists, because someone has done it nobody else should try it? right?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Example1013

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY CORTEX

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#208  Edited By tofford

They could have tried a little bit to avoid the Smash Brothers comparisons

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#209  Edited By evanbower

@KamasamaK said:

@evanbower said:

Celebrating Sony's rich history with franchises that started 3 years ago!

Poor premise for judgment. First, the only revealed character from such a new franchise is "Fat Princess" -- that's not franchises. Also, the original Super Smash Brothers had Pikachu and Jigglypuff whose franchise also premiered 3 years prior to its release.

Speaking of poor premises, the Patapon are invading!

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By KamasamaK

@evanbower: What's wrong with Patapon?

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By hughesman

to all the naysayers out there. like my boy parappa would say "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!"

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By RE_Player1
    @hughesman

to all the naysayers out there. like my boy parappa would say "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!"

Word.
    fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#213  Edited By fishinwithguns

really I don't give a damn. Nintendo characters, Sony characters...who gives a shit, Smash Bros. is the most overrated "fighting game" of all time anyway. I understand it's not a traditional fighting game, and maybe that's why I think it's so lame (and the high ratio of lame-ass characters to decent ones). Honestly Soul Calibur V (def. not the best fighting game) is better as a party game than Smash Bros. in my opinion...and from my experiences.

This is a nice idea, but like Smash Bros., probably better on paper (again, in my opinion).

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#214  Edited By oldjack327

Looks a little too smash brother's lite for my tastes. Smash Bros only works because it inverts a lot of the basic concepts of fighting games, it balances the inherent clusterfuck quality of 4 player brawls by forcing you to "ring out" opponents, as opposed to just mashing a health bar down to zero. If they wanted to go the health bar route (like the video suggests) I feel like they might have been better suited with a PowerStone 3-d set up, so that you have full 3d space to spread the players out. But, the game isn't even close to coming out, and it might turn out awesome, thus making all my concerns moot. Here's hoping the best for them... and the inclusion of Sly Cooper is kind of awesome!

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#215  Edited By l4wd0g

Sony is sucking off Nintendo like $5 whore.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By MmaFanQc

@KamasamaK said:

@evanbower: What's wrong with Patapon?

haters gonna hate.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#217  Edited By Mitch0712

Is that cameraman drunk?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm pretty certain that if you looked at a Nintendo game hard enough, you'd find something that was clearly "inspired" by something else. That's the way the video game industry works. Sure, Nintendo fans should crow that they had it first, but why would you want to deny the magic of SSB style gameplay? If anything, the attitude should be, "You guys are in for some good times!" When did gaming become such a war? Remember when games was just about having fun?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By KamasamaK

@Mitch0712 said:

Is that cameraman drunk?

I believe that is Rey Gutierrez. Or I know he at least edited it.

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By fourby

I am a huge smash bros fan, and this seems distasteful at first glance. If my favorite Ape Escape monkey is in there I'll never use another character though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fat Princess as a playable character means this is sold.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MisuseOfLasers said:

Man it would be the coolest if they could get Tomba in there somehow.

I agree.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By BPRJCTX

Wow, the joke just became a reality...

Seriously, Sony just continues to dissapoint, over and over again...

What the fuck happened to that company, do they think this is what's gonna take 'hem out of the hole they're into?

This is exaclty the kind of stupid decisions that just continue to push them down.

I just can't believe it, what a shameful Rip off.

I guess ripping off the Wiimote wasn't enough for them.

It just looks so bad too, they just don't have the characters to support a game like this.

This is a game aimed at kids, and you have characters like, Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Killzone characters in it?!

These charaters could have worked in a more serious fighting game, for 16 and over.

But this?

WHAT THE FUCK?!

This just has to be a late, really bad, April's Fools Joke...

It just has to...

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By AngeTheDude

@BPRJCTX said:

What the fuck happened to that company, do they think this is what's gonna take 'hem out of the hole they're into?

This is exaclty the kind of stupid decisions that just continue to push them down.

It just looks so bad too, they just don't have the characters to support a game like this.

This is a game aimed at kids, and you have characters like, Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Killzone characters in it?!

These charaters could have worked in a more serious fighting game, for 16 and over.

But this?

WHAT THE FUCK?!

It just has to...

Is... is that you??

agentoharah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#225  Edited By agentoharah

@msavo said:

I'm pretty certain that if you looked at a Nintendo game hard enough, you'd find something that was clearly "inspired" by something else. That's the way the video game industry works. Sure, Nintendo fans should crow that they had it first, but why would you want to deny the magic of SSB style gameplay? If anything, the attitude should be, "You guys are in for some good times!" When did gaming become such a war? Remember when games was just about having fun?

This times a billion. All videogames are a "Me too, but like THIS" one-upmanship contest anyway, as long as this adds something to the game aside from a different slew of characters, then I don't really see a problem with this. And It's never a good idea to write something off because of an announcement trailer...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#226  Edited By Hailinel
    @MmaFanQc

@Hailinel: so i guess i will see you stating that all the future and past FPS are blatant ripoffs of wolfeinstein3d? ...or maybe every 2d plateformers a ripoff of mario bros. ?

I would hate to live in a world where games couldn't lift good ideas from other games for fear of getting branded a thief. (Sorry guys, you can't use the dual analogue control scheme for your first person shooters because Halo did it already. You have to use the right trigger to move left, up on the directional pad to shoot etc. because that is the only control scheme not used yet.)

My point is that developers should be free to use what has proven to work without fear of being labelled rip-off artists, because someone has done it nobody else should try it? right?

There's a difference between borrowing and adapting mechanics and taking someone else's design wholesale.
    Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Gordo789

So Snake was in a Smash Bros game, right? What are the chances that we'll get him here too?

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By BPRJCTX

@AngeTheDude said:

@BPRJCTX said:

But this?

WHAT THE FUCK?!

It just has to...

Is... is that you??

Ha ha ha!

Dude, i remember that!

No, it's not me...

Avatar image for miserablelittlepileofsecrets
    MiserableLittlePileOfSecrets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The closer this plays to Smash Bros., the better it will be, in my opinion.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By MmaFanQc

@Hailinel:

at this point, talking to you is pretty much futile, i was foolish to expect some kind of "arguments" but look like i was obviously expecting too much from you.

on that, have a nice day sir.

Yurtigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#231  Edited By Yurtigo

Fanyboys are out today. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale FTW even though I haven't played it yet I know it's superior to Smash Brothers...

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#232  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm a huge fan of Smash Bros. and I could not possibly be more excited for this. They need to make sure there's Crash Bandicoot and Spyro in this, though, or they'll have messed up.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#233  Edited By ManMadeGod

@Xeirus said:

@KingCrimson4life said:

Drew returns from north korea is premium? fuck you giant bomb. You are North Korea

Yup because that's totally game related and you would get that for free from any other site.

How about you go through the SHIT LOAD of free content from the past couple of years or grow a pair and pay the ridiculously cheap member fee or shut the hell up.

This post personifies what everyone feared would happen when the membership launched: self entitlement. All of the "behind the scenes" content is locked behind a pay-wall now and it was never like that before. I can understand if they wanted to change the site's business model but you have to understand why users are going to be upset. Being a prick helps no one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Hailinel
    @MmaFanQc

@Hailinel:

at this point, talking to you is pretty much futile, i was foolish to expect some kind of "arguments" but look like i was obviously expecting too much from you.

on that, have a nice day sir.

I made a statement in response to your argument. If you don't feel like refuting it, that's not my problem.
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#235  Edited By TheMasterDS

Get Solid Snake in there, make him have the same moveset he had in Brawl. That'd be real classy. 

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#236  Edited By jasondesante

if they steal the percentage health concept, basically the genius idea that makes smash bros its own genre of fighting game.....if they steal that then I've had it with these theifs, Nintendo is the only game company that ever comes up with new ideas. Then a masterpiece like kid icarus comes out, and it gets less attention than this sony smash bros rip off.

Lets pay attention to the games that are actually creative and works of art, instead of this derivative b/s

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Xeirus

@ManMadeGod said:

@Xeirus said:

@KingCrimson4life said:

Drew returns from north korea is premium? fuck you giant bomb. You are North Korea

Yup because that's totally game related and you would get that for free from any other site.

How about you go through the SHIT LOAD of free content from the past couple of years or grow a pair and pay the ridiculously cheap member fee or shut the hell up.

This post personifies what everyone feared would happen when the membership launched: self entitlement. All of the "behind the scenes" content is locked behind a pay-wall now and it was never like that before. I can understand if they wanted to change the site's business model but you have to understand why users are going to be upset. Being a prick helps no one.

So you think a prick post deserves a non-prick response. Cool.

Try running a website like this and let me know how it turns out.

Skanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Skanker

This game has a terrible art style. It looks so washed out. They've had to give the characters some strange outline so they stand out from the background properly. Bleh.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#239  Edited By TheMasterDS

Really hoping they include K Rool this time, that'd be great. I would also like Flint from Mother 3. They better take out the final smashes, fuck the final smashes!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, Ill buy it

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Hailinel
    @Xeirus

@ManMadeGod said:

@Xeirus said:

@KingCrimson4life said:

So you think a prick post deserves a non-prick response. Cool.

Try running a website like this and let me know how it turns out.

Why are you arguing about this in this thread?
    GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#242  Edited By GozerTC

@DrDarkStryfe said:

I will buy if Kevin Butler is a character.

This right here. :)

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#243  Edited By 49th

No items, Kratos only, Last Location

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By RoyCampbell
    No Caption Provided
    marchismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#245  Edited By marchismo

Flower petal as an unlockable?

nintenjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By nintenjoe

@OllyOxenFree: Too soon? lol

habibyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By habibyjohnson

Definately has to have Crash Bandicoot, Cortex, Nathan Drake and Ps1 era Spyro right?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By xyzygy

I don't know, it just seems like such an obvious ripoff. I think this is hugely different than the games mentioned by someone on the first page, like King of Fighters and other fighting game crossovers. This game looks to do exactly what Super Smash Brothers did back in the late 90's by mixing characters from non-fighting games, characters who we otherwise wouldn't be able to control in this manner, and take items and props from their games and incorporate them into their movelist. This is the massive different between fighting game crossovers and Super Smash Brothers, and this is exactly why this Sony SSB can be called a Super Smash Brothers ripoff.

On another note, this is something that Sony continually does - that is, do what Nintendo or Microsoft does first. I can't think of one thing that Sony has done first that has since been adopted by Nintendo or Microsoft.

NautoAceOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By NautoAceOne

I would like to see

Deadmond, Crash, Spyro, Danny Trejo from PSMove the Fight, Echochrome, Big Beat from Big Beat Kitchen from TV Superstars, or someone from Eye of Judgement, there are too many franchise.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By ArcLyte

This just makes me want to play some smash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.