Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

Gut Reaction: PlayStation Move

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

I got to play PlayStation Move today, yay! My brother bought it, so it isn't really my own. I did play around with Sports Champions a good while though. I don't even know what to call the controller. The wand? The Move stick? The Ice Cream Cone? I think it's called the Move Controller, but that's no fun. 

Squishy orb is squishy 
    Squishy orb is squishy 
    Picking up the Ice Cream Cone for the first time felt pretty good. It feels nice in the hand, and the glowing light from the ball is kinda cool (surprisingly bright). At first I had a hard time keeping strait where the classic face buttons were located, but I got used to it. One thing I didn't expect was the glowing orb is squishy, not hard. Probably a design choice to prevent injury when you inevitably smack yourself in the face. But anyways, I like the trigger. It feels more like the 360 controller trigger than the Dual Shock 3's trigger. Then there's a large Move button that basically takes the place of the large A button on the Wiimote. I had no idea that was there for some reason. I guess I didn't watch enough Move videos from E3. The precision of the Ice Cream Cone is pretty impressive though. Table Tennis specifically shows how accurate the controls can be when you are trying to perfectly angle your paddle and put a good amount of spin on the ball. Overall I'm impressed with the hardware. Maybe not so much with the camera as the picture quality seemed poor, but it seemed to work well enough. We were playing in both low and high light situations and it picked up all the movements. I should say though that I was only using one Ice Cream Cone as opposed to two. Some games seem like they'd me more fun with two, but others were just fine.

This is totally the best game
    I haven't actually read Jeff's review of Sports Champions yet, but I remember him saying at one point that Table Tennis was easily the best game of the bunch. It is a good game, but I actually had more fun with the Volleyball game. Volleyball was definitely one of the games that would benefit from two Ice Cream Cones, but it was still the most fun of the bunch with only one. You can choose to serve either underhand (which seems like the safe option), or overhand for more power. Depending on how you move the "Cone", you can bump, set, spike, block, and even dive for stray balls. The motions are simple, but I think that helps the game feel responsive; you're not going to be swinging wildly trying to make contact. The way the people move around the sand is also kinda hilarious. They move their legs like crabs at times, which is pretty entertaining. 

The only games I'd say need two "Cones" to be fun are archery, and the Gladiator Duel game. Those both just feel like super dumbed down versions (Which they kind of are) of what the games are meant to be. The Gladiator game specifically just feels very cheesable (at least on the lower difficulties). It's entirely possible to just slash at the opponents legs until they're dead. Disc Golf is fun, but a bit dull. 

My overall impression after playing though was that "this works". I had a few doubts about the camera's ability to keep up with the Ice Cream Cone--especially in poor lighting or bad angles--but it seems to keep up really well. Sure, you have to calibrate before every game, but if it's necessary to work well, then it's not a problem. I look forward to seeing what kinds of games come out of this tech in the future. The potential seems great.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I got to play PlayStation Move today, yay! My brother bought it, so it isn't really my own. I did play around with Sports Champions a good while though. I don't even know what to call the controller. The wand? The Move stick? The Ice Cream Cone? I think it's called the Move Controller, but that's no fun. 

Squishy orb is squishy 
    Squishy orb is squishy 
    Picking up the Ice Cream Cone for the first time felt pretty good. It feels nice in the hand, and the glowing light from the ball is kinda cool (surprisingly bright). At first I had a hard time keeping strait where the classic face buttons were located, but I got used to it. One thing I didn't expect was the glowing orb is squishy, not hard. Probably a design choice to prevent injury when you inevitably smack yourself in the face. But anyways, I like the trigger. It feels more like the 360 controller trigger than the Dual Shock 3's trigger. Then there's a large Move button that basically takes the place of the large A button on the Wiimote. I had no idea that was there for some reason. I guess I didn't watch enough Move videos from E3. The precision of the Ice Cream Cone is pretty impressive though. Table Tennis specifically shows how accurate the controls can be when you are trying to perfectly angle your paddle and put a good amount of spin on the ball. Overall I'm impressed with the hardware. Maybe not so much with the camera as the picture quality seemed poor, but it seemed to work well enough. We were playing in both low and high light situations and it picked up all the movements. I should say though that I was only using one Ice Cream Cone as opposed to two. Some games seem like they'd me more fun with two, but others were just fine.

I haven't actually read Jeff's review of Sports Champions yet, but I remember him saying at one point that Table Tennis was easily the best game of the bunch. It is a good game, but I actually had more fun with the Volleyball game. Volleyball was definitely one of the games that would benefit from two Ice Cream Cones, but it was still the most fun of the bunch with only one. You can choose to serve either underhand (which seems like the safe option), or overhand for more power. Depending on how you move the "Cone", you can bump, set, spike, block, and even dive for stray balls. The motions are simple, but I think that helps the game feel responsive; you're not going to be swinging wildly trying to make contact. The way the people move around the sand is also kinda hilarious. They move their legs like crabs at times, which is pretty entertaining. 

The only games I'd say need two "Cones" to be fun are archery, and the Gladiator Duel game. Those both just feel like super dumbed down versions (Which they kind of are) of what the games are meant to be. The Gladiator game specifically just feels very cheesable (at least on the lower difficulties). It's entirely possible to just slash at the opponents legs until they're dead. Disc Golf is fun, but a bit dull. 

My overall impression after playing though was that "this works". I had a few doubts about the camera's ability to keep up with the Ice Cream Cone--especially in poor lighting or bad angles--but it seems to keep up really well. Sure, you have to calibrate before every game, but if it's necessary to work well, then it's not a problem. I look forward to seeing what kinds of games come out of this tech in the future. The potential seems great.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Claude

I didn't know you had to calibrate. I thought the eye just picked up where the glowing orb was.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Claude

I didn't know you had to calibrate. I thought the eye just picked up where the glowing orb was.

It gives you a little box to stand in, then you move the controller to three different spots on your body. It just takes a couple of seconds, so its not too bad.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Y'all should check out Tested's video about the Move after reading this. They kind of go through the "it's sort-of-janky-but-sort-of-not" motions too. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

It doesn't surprise me that repeated calibration is necessary.  Then again, I can't say I'm really looking forward to anything Move related.  It always struck me as being a very obvious rip-off of the Wii Remote; the only difference being that the motion plus tech is built into the lollipop.  That's not to say that I don't think people can or should have fun with it, but it's nothing I find worth spending money on when I can already play similar games on the Wii.

In all seriousness, I don't see a point in buying Sports Champions when I already have Wii Sports Resort.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Claude
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " Y'all should check out Tested's video about the Move after reading this. They kind of go through the "it's sort-of-janky-but-sort-of-not" motions too.  "
    Thanks, that was interesting. I need to get my ass over to Tested more often.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

I just watched the first 10 seconds of Tested's video and they have already called the controllers the Ice Cream Cone and commented on the squishyness of the ball. Kinda creepy.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red12b
    @Claude said:
    " @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " Y'all should check out Tested's video about the Move after reading this. They kind of go through the "it's sort-of-janky-but-sort-of-not" motions too.  "
    Thanks, that was interesting. I need to get my ass over to Tested more often. "
    you do, its got some great stuff. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

I want ice cream now for some reason...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Red12b
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " I want ice cream now for some reason... "
    Cookies 'n' cream 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Red12b said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Cookies 'n' cream  "
    Mmmm, or cookie dough!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Red12b said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    Thanks, that was interesting. I need to get my ass over to Tested more often. "
    you do, its got some great stuff.  "
    I really do love Tested. I'd watch anything, though, with Norm calling Will a racist over a ping-pong joke. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Red12b said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Cookies 'n' cream  "
    Mmmm, or cookie dough! "
    This is in my freezer right now: 

No Caption Provided
    And I can't help but consider eating some.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @JJWeatherman: Never heard of Duck Tracks flavor.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By wunder_

Go ducks?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @JJWeatherman: Never heard of Duck Tracks flavor. "

You're missin' out. 

@Wunder_ said:
    " Go ducks? "
    The University of Oregon Ducks. God damn you people.  :P
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    You're missin' out. "
    So... it's like... Cookies 'n Cream?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    You're missin' out. "
    So... it's like... Cookies 'n Cream? "
    It's vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter flavored with pieces chocolate in there. It's good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJWeatherman: University of Oregon. Is that in Eugene?
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By FCKSNAP

Ice cream you say? QL of the Move ice cream eating mini-game, STAT!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @JJWeatherman: University of Oregon. Is that in Eugene? "
    'tis indeed. 

@Snapstacle said:
    " Ice cream you say? QL of the Move ice cream eating mini-game, STAT! "
    I wish. You know, I'd be all for the GB crew just sitting there licking those controllers for 20 minutes.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @JJWeatherman said:
    I don't even know what to call the controller.
    I like your suggestion, Move Stick. Sounds sexy and stupid all at once (like all good things).
    TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By TheJohn

Let's all just agree to refer to the move controller as the ICC (Ice Cream Cone, duh) from now on.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By ShaneDev

So this thread is about Ice Cream now? Anyway I have no interest in Move unless something really good and different  comes out for it likewise with Kinect. At least we know the Move stuff works but the Tested video left me less impressed with the thing.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By ThePickle

Still on the fence about Move 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " Still on the fence about Move  "
    Tumble is really fun, and I love it.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By ThePickle
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @HandsomeDevil said:
    " Still on the fence about Move  "
    Tumble is really fun, and I love it. "
    That actually looks cool
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By apathylad
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    You're missin' out. "
    It's vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter flavored with pieces chocolate in there. It's good. "
    I'm more of a cake batter kind of guy...too bad Coldstones is pretty expensive. 
    thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By thomasriis1987

awesome read dude, as usual - And can't wait to try this shit out for myself.
    Love

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By habster3
    @Apathylad said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    You're missin' out. "
    It's vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter flavored with pieces chocolate in there. It's good. "
    I'm more of a cake batter kind of guy...too bad Coldstones is pretty expensive.  "
    Yeah; their prices are outrageous.
    spooky138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By spooky138
    @Hailinel:
    Okay, I will say "Lollipop" is a better name than "ice cream cone" for the controller.  WIN! 

I got the Sports bundle too, my fave is the archery - very fun with 2 Lollys.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ESREVER

I went out and got the Move after reading this :] 
    Its really impressive and a lot of fun. 2 ICC gladiator duels are excellent. Really looking forward to companies getting the most potential out of this device. 

Hella expensive though >< Totally worth it! Definitely looking forward to Dead Space Extraction and Time Crisis! 

What other titles should I be looking into for the move?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Red12b said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Cookies 'n' cream  "
    Mmmm, or cookie dough! "
    This is in my freezer right now: 

No Caption Provided
    And I can't help but consider eating some. "
    Oh you sons of bitches.  I have no ice cream to call my own.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @ESREVER said:
    " I went out and got the Move after reading this :] Its really impressive and a lot of fun. 2 ICC gladiator duels are excellent. Really looking forward to companies getting the most potential out of this device.  Hella expensive though >< Totally worth it! Definitely looking forward to Dead Space Extraction and Time Crisis!  What other titles should I be looking into for the move? "
    Nice. Killzone 3 is Move compatible, if you're into that at all. The next Socom I think will be compatible too.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Godwind

Even though I don't like the aesthetics of the game, I wouldn't mind giving it a test drive.  Better than Microsoft is coming out with.  My only problem seems to be is that my PS3 isn't reading discs.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @Godwind said:
    " Even though I don't like the aesthetics of the game, I wouldn't mind giving it a test drive.  Better than Microsoft is coming out with.  My only problem seems to be is that my PS3 isn't reading discs. "
    Even if I had a 360, I don't think I'd buy Kinect no matter what games were released for it.  Not because of quality concerns (though I do have them), but because I really don't have that much space.  Unlike the GB staff, I can't just move my couch out of the way to play games.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RE_Player1

I bought it I I think it's way better than the Wii. The only thing it needs now is software. I like Sports Champions but I'll probably be bored of it after a week and I really don't want to pick up a bowling game or Kung Fu Rider. I'm looking forward to getting MAG, always wanted to try out that game, and playing it with the Move controller. Just from today I can tell this is going to be way better for first-person shooters, the Wii has tried but the controls aren't precise and the visuals are meh apart from Metroid Prime 3. Very happy with my purchase so far and can't wait for more traditional games to use it like Killzone 3.  
    @JJWeatherman:
     Have you tried any of the demos off the demo disc yet?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " Even though I don't like the aesthetics of the game, I wouldn't mind giving it a test drive.  Better than Microsoft is coming out with.  My only problem seems to be is that my PS3 isn't reading discs. "
    Even if I had a 360, I don't think I'd buy Kinect no matter what games were released for it.  Not because of quality concerns (though I do have them), but because I really don't have that much space.  Unlike the GB staff, I can't just move my couch out of the way to play games. "
    The Move says to stand 8 feet away, so really they both take up a lot of space. 

@RE_Player92: I was playing a bit of Tiger Woods. I'm not sure if that came on the demo disc or not. Downloaded Time Crisis too. That game's kinda lame when you're not in an arcade. :(
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Godwind said:
    Even if I had a 360, I don't think I'd buy Kinect no matter what games were released for it.  Not because of quality concerns (though I do have them), but because I really don't have that much space.  Unlike the GB staff, I can't just move my couch out of the way to play games. "

@RE_Player92: I was playing a bit of Tiger Woods. I'm not sure if that came on the demo disc or not. Downloaded Time Crisis too. That game's kinda lame when you're not in an arcade. :( "
    Eight feet?

*Makes a half-assed floor space measurement.*

Shit.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Hailinel said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Godwind said:

@RE_Player92: I was playing a bit of Tiger Woods. I'm not sure if that came on the demo disc or not. Downloaded Time Crisis too. That game's kinda lame when you're not in an arcade. :( "
    Eight feet?  *Makes a half-assed floor space measurement.*  Shit. "
    You'll probably be fine as long as you have like 6 feet. I think that's all I had. Had to pitch the camera up a bit, but it all still worked.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Godwind
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Godwind said:

Eight feet?  *Makes a half-assed floor space measurement.*  Shit. "
    You'll probably be fine as long as you have like 6 feet. I think that's all I had. Had to pitch the camera up a bit, but it all still worked. "
    I forgot to take that into account.  I should make sure to test out this stuff first.
    FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By FunkyHugo

I also got to play around with it today, and was really impressed. Thought it was immensely precise, really considering getting this now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.