Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

Impressive PS Move Demo. Distinct lack of bam there it is.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scooper

I've stolen an article posted on Tested today ( I urge you to read the full story). Anyways, check out this PlayStation Move Demo Sony put out not long ago.

To me this looks really impressive and it actualy gets me excited for the product while the Kinect doesn't push any buttons for me. As a 360/PC owner the Move could sway me to picking up a PS3 at some point, if this thing is really picked up by 3rd parties, and implemented in the right way. Let's hope that it is. What do you think. Impressive tech, no?
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jorbear

Very impressive tech demo. Whether or not it's actually going to be good depends entirely on the games.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

The Move tech demos have been good for a while, but I still haven't seen any actual game applications that take good use of the tech.  I'd love to see them do some crazy VR shit already.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaneDev

Is very impressive but I give Microsoft more credit for trying something different even if it is more glitchy.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Scooper
    @Diamond: The Move version of RapeLay 3D is going to be awesome!
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jkz
    @Diamond said:
    " The Move tech demos have been good for a while, but I still haven't seen any actual game applications that take good use of the tech.  I'd love to see them do some crazy VR shit already. "
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jorbear
    @Scooper said:
    " @Diamond: The Move version of RapeLay 3D is going to be awesome! "
    You won't need a reason to leave the house. EVER.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Not impressed, probally won't buy it.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scooper
    @jorbear said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @Diamond: The Move version of RapeLay 3D is going to be awesome! "
    You won't need a reason to leave the house. EVER. "
    Well actualy my PS Move RapeLay setup will be in the back of my van. For... business reasons.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @ShaneDev said:
    " Is very impressive but I give Microsoft more credit for trying something different even if it is more glitchy. "
    This is true... Move is essentially a more precise Wii remote whereas Kinect, while the idea was there with the PS Eye, actually implements a 3D space with accessory-free controls, and detects more than just where your hands are (Body movement, facial recognition, voice recognition, etc). 

I still think both are stupid though, just like the Wii remote.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jorbear
    @Scooper:  DARN!
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

This is why I like the move much more than kinect.  They prove that it works and not only show that it has cool features but more importantly it works for games.  Plus, buttons are very necessary for actual games because many things you won't achieve or won't achieve well with just motion.  Kinect is just very gimmicky and they're just trying to impress the more simple minded casual audience by having 'no controllers', but after a week or so it'll just be used for interface controls and for fitness/dancing games nothing more.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep.  Infinitely more interested in this than Kinect.  I'm actually excited for this!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I played Dawn of Discovery on the Wii. For an economic strategy game it worked like a charm. I'm thinking a RTS game would work great with Move. I liked what I saw with John Daly's ProStroke too. 

That's why my name is blue. I don't own a PS3, but I'm thinking bundle when I do. Of course, I'm a fan of motion control, plus the pointer capabilities.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By matthew
    @Scooper said:
    "... while the Kinect doesn't push any buttons for me...? "  

iseewatyoudidthere. 
    But yea, this is something I'm pretty stoked for.  Lets just hope the developers pick it up and play with it proper-like.
    patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By patrick

The 'controller as a camcorder' thing always freaks me out when they demo it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

Looks marginally better than Kinect, but it's still going to be a piece of shit.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

This thing comes out in a few weeks and they are showing tech demos?  Where are the games that aren't pswii sports? 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By endless_void

Looks kickass. Probably day one release.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper
    @Claude: Yeah. The RTS controls look like they could work pretty well. I get the impression that the Move is a bit of everything, it's got the motion sensing of the WiiM+, pointer of a PC mouse, basic body movements ala poor man's Kinect and buttons like a  regular controller/Wiimote.

Of course this must be picked up by someone and put into a top-tier RTS release for it to matter to the masses. It's no good being stuck as a tech demo, it does get the mind going of the possibilities, though. I'll give 'em that. If there was ever a console that could handle a port of Starcraft for example then this would probably give it a good try.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper
    @MAN_FLANNEL: Yeah. I'm getting worried about that. There's that Wii Sports thing that looks pretty good but after that I don't know. It all about the first 2 or 3 years with this motion stuff though. I hope there's good stuff coming.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude
    @Scooper said:
    " @Claude: Yeah. The RTS controls look like they could work pretty well. I get the impression that the Move is a bit of everything, it's got the motion sensing of the WiiM+, pointer of a PC mouse, basic body movements ala poor man's Kinect and buttons like a  regular controller/Wiimote.  Of course this must be picked up by someone and put into a top-tier RTS release for it to matter to the masses. It's no good being stuck as a tech demo, it does get the mind going of the possibilities, though. I'll give 'em that. If there was ever a console that could handle a port of Starcraft for example then this would probably give it a good try. "
    I just think it will take a while for anything good to come out. If Move sells well, it would help. Look at Motion Plus for the Wii, it's been out for a while, but there still aren't a lot of games using it.
    xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xenexprime
    @ShaneDev said:
    " Is very impressive but I give Microsoft more credit for trying something different even if it is more glitchy. "

Kinect is basically just a more advance Playstation Eye..........
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @xenexprime: is it even that much more advanced? I honestly can't see much of a difference between Kinect and Move.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scooper
    @Claude: Yeah. That's the problem with addons down the line. Developers won't do anything really special with it as only a small segment of their potential audience that will have it. Much safer on a business end to not develop for the smaller audience and just throw in some support for it but don't really utilize it at all ;(

I get the same feeling for anything with 2 move controllers because again, most people will probably only have 1.
    xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xenexprime
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @xenexprime: is it even that much more advanced? I honestly can't see much of a difference between Kinect and Move. "

I am not talking about Move, I was talking about the Playstation Eye Toy for the Ps2 and the Playstation eye for Ps3.

so the guy I was replying to before, Sony is been there done that way before Microsoft, so no idea why he is giving Microsoft "credit for trying something different" when Sony did it first...
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NekuSakuraba

That thing with the hand and the tree branches was cool. 

Haha, they should put that on the box. ''That thing with the hand and the tree branches was cool.'' - NekuSakuraba 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @xenexprime: Yeah that's what I meant. Everybody is giving credit to Microsoft for trying something different, but it doesn't seem different at all from what Sony has done.
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thedj93
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @xenexprime: Yeah that's what I meant. Everybody is giving credit to Microsoft for trying something different, but it doesn't seem different at all from what Sony has done. "
    Well no idea's original, merely iterative. This does look like it has more potential than the Kinect stuff, if only because of what looks like more precise movement tracking.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scooper
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " That thing with the hand and the tree branches was cool. "
    Get ready for extreme mountain rockface climbing: the game.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

REALLY impressive 

yet 

REALLY uninteresting 

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Sony needs to start copying Nintendo and just make a "wario" type game with all there tech demos. they often have cool demos that i would love to play but they end up adding it to something else i could care less about like eyepet.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Meowayne

Having played Move at GamesCom, I can tell you that it is much more prone to errors and misreadings than Kinect has ever shown to be. The excess of Move setups acting weird and people trying in vain to get it to behave correctly exhibited at the Sony booth(s) was painful to watch.

The technology is great, but it is just as faulty (if not more) than the Wiimote sensor bar and Kinect. As I predicted all the vision-based input methods to be, months ago.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Very cool, but controller > motion... still.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper
    @Meowayne: That's good to know. Sony must of controlled the videos a lot more then as I haven't seen too much of that. It's good to know you've seen it first hand.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Meowayne

Scooper:

Know how Wii MotionPlus loses track of where it is very quickly and needs either clever game algorithms to verify its position or a manual "reset" button?
    It is the exact same with Move. At least at GamesCom it was. The moment the PlayStation Eye loses the orb out of sight (which happens a lot), it starts to act up. A lot. And even with the orb in sight, tracking is very faulty. 

But of course, it might just have been bad conditions or badly set up game stations.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Scooper said:
    " @Claude: Yeah. The RTS controls look like they could work pretty well. I get the impression that the Move is a bit of everything, it's got the motion sensing of the WiiM+, pointer of a PC mouse, basic body movements ala poor man's Kinect and buttons like a  regular controller/Wiimote.  Of course this must be picked up by someone and put into a top-tier RTS release for it to matter to the masses. It's no good being stuck as a tech demo, it does get the mind going of the possibilities, though. I'll give 'em that. If there was ever a console that could handle a port of Starcraft for example then this would probably give it a good try. "
    Search YouTube for RUSE being played with Move. It looks really good.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Meowayne said:
    " Scooper:  Know how Wii MotionPlus loses track of where it is very quickly and needs either clever game algorithms to verify its position or a manual "reset" button? It is the exact same with Move. At least at GamesCom it was. The moment the PlayStation Eye loses the orb out of sight (which happens a lot), it starts to act up. A lot. And even with the orb in sight, tracking is very faulty.   But of course, it might just have been bad conditions or badly set up game stations. "
    I played Move at PlayStation Beta Rooms and didn't have that issue at all. Calibration seems universally better than MotionPlus (which lost itself after 5 minutes or so for me). I played a lengthy deuce in Sports Champions table tennis and it tracked perfectly throughout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.