Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

[Sports Champions] Disc Golf Woes...

viisual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By viisual

I'll start this off with I'm an avid Disc Golfer in real life, and I've put some time into this mode of gameplay.

My friend and I play Disc Golf almost exclusively on the Move, it's great. We know the holes by heart, we were rocking along through the championship until we hit gold, and then Rin made us retry her course for about 4 hours; and the worst part wasn't that we were being outplayed, but because of the increased field size, the ratio of "Accidental" throws goes up quite a bit.

My first complaint, is I don't really understand how best to calibrate and then throw the disc. Do you go higher/lower than your head/shoulder, waist, and belt buckle respectively?

Our throws generally are fairly decent, we understand what is "supposed" to happen to get the throws to turn or fade in the proper direction, but against all odds it seems they discs sometimes do exactly opposite of what you expected. Why? We can't come up with any explanations.

I notice a "jitter" in the hand, when you practice swing smoothly. From behind us to forward in one motion it jumps around 25% into the swing, every time all the time.

Backhanded throws, I avoid completely as most of them go strait to the ground. I can't determine how to throw these properly. It seems if I turn my body it doesn't read the throw correct, and if I don't turn my body; the throw is proper but it lacks completely in power, or it just nose dives.

Also, it seems trying to throw a normal disc over an obstacle without a tomahawk is almost impossible. We can throw high turn/fade up and over, but never a strait throw upwards; how is this achieved: The angle of the disc upon release, or the angle the arm travels upon release, or both?

My biggest complaint is my friend can make the disc flip. Neither of us would be able to make this happen in real life. We can't reproduce this effect when we want, but it seems every 10 throws, he will have his disc almost exponentially start heading upwards, and then do barrel rolls on itself. Frustrating to no end, what makes this happen?

So basically, what kind of tips have you got for me?

How much wind up is necessary for a good powered throw?
    How much, if at all, do you modify your calibration; and in what ways?
    Where is your camera at in relation to your TV, and yourself.
    Do you get bull**bleep** throws that make you want to quit the game; like we do?
    How do _you_ throw a backhanded throw?
    Is it in the wrist, or the arm power & release point?

Overall this game is sweet, and minus the flaws we personally run into would be epic. It just seems our past 4 hours with the game have been met with nothing but frustration and hatred towards the mechanics it employs.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RE_Player1
    @viisual: You only have to calibrate it once before you enter your first match. The calibration goes (if your right handed) down on your right, than to your shoulder, down to your right again, and than your belt buckle. I put the camera at the bottom of my TV, on a tiny angle upwards, and I stand about 7-8 feet away from it. For your power question, in my case anyway, I throw it all in the wrist. I use the driver disc, go back, and as I'm moving my hand forward I flick it midpoint so I get a long throw that's usually straight. Here's a tip, make sure you don't have any insanely bright lights in the background or else the camera won't detect the controller well. All I can say after that is keep practicing and take breaks. I'm at the second last person on Gold in table tennis and I'm getting my ass kicked. When I get frustrated just take a break and try again 5 min later, I'm doing much better and she only beats me by like 2 points now, pretty soon I'll beat her. 
    viisual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By viisual

@RE_Player92 Thanks for the reply. We will check the lights because it seems the issue only happens at his place. I want to get a video of the disc flipping because it's just _that_ hilariously stupid.  I can't think that issue pertains to the lights however, because the disc shouldn't have any connections with the controller after the fact it's released, unless it interprets some kind of weird toss during the release.

Do you get max power using wrist shots only?  I imagine you mean like a half quarter of a circle for a toss, not just a simple wrist shot without using any arm motion?

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Nadafinga

Also, if you want to game the system, and beat the Gold cup players that fastest...if they beat you on a hole, before you finish the hole by throwing your disc in, just quit out. When you restart, it will ask you if you want to start from your last save. say "Yes", and you'll get to replay that hole that you didn't complete...it autosaves after you complete a hole, but not during. Thats how I beat the last few opponents.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.