Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Dear PSN- Thanks for making everything so difficult

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By davidwitten22

So I'm one of many, many PSN users who never tried to buy anything through the PSN store. Well, today I decided to buy a Fallout 3 DLC. Lo and behold, after 7 attempts to put in my credit card information, PSN still hadn't accepted it (while charging my account $1 for each failed attempt). So, the only other option I have is PSN cards. So, I go to this super sketchy looking site (It's Paypal verified though...) to buy a PSN card from there, where they should email me soon about my code. 

Anyone else had similar PSN problems?

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @davidwitten22: dude, buy goty it is cheaper
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By davidwitten22
    @organicalistic_ said:
    " @davidwitten22: dude, buy goty it is cheaper "
    I already bought Fallout3, and supposedly the goty for PS3 is super bugged. Bugged beyond the ability to play.
    PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By PatrickCrider
    @davidwitten22:  This is the first I'm hearing of this...
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " while charging my account $1 for each failed attempt"
     Im curious how they charge a credit card number that they aren't accepting?

Not that Xbox's payment system is much better, but thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Charging 1 dollar per attempt? Thats ludicrous.
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bluethunder35

Did you use a gift card? Those seem to no longer work on all consoles. In the past, we Canadians could use MasterCard Gift Cards to buy stuff but now they may have locked those out since PSN cards are now available. 

Sad, since I wanted to buy that XBL Gold renewal for $12.49 CAN. It doesn't work since the bastards at MS want to then charge you one year's worth of Gold immediately after your term ends.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " while charging my account $1 for each failed attempt"
     Im curious how they charge a credit card number that they aren't accepting?  Not that Xbox's payment system is much better, but thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Charging 1 dollar per attempt? Thats ludicrous. "
    Yeah I found it strange too. It's just a hold and from what I hear it'll all be cleared off my account within a few days.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Bluethunder35 said:
    " Did you use a gift card? Those seem to no longer work on all consoles. In the past, we Canadians could use MasterCard Gift Cards to buy stuff but now they may have locked those out since PSN cards are now available.  Sad, since I wanted to buy that XBL Gold renewal for $12.49 CAN. It doesn't work since the bastards at MS want to then charge you one year's worth of Gold immediately after your term ends. "
    I used my debit card. The PSN card I bought should work though, as long as the site is legitimate.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @davidwitten22:  Thats not so bad then, a hold is fairly common on alot of things.

I suggest buying those scratch card deals. I've never liked putting my CC info onto a console.

If you were also looking to get all the DLC for Fallout, you might want to look at just buying the GOTY. I doubt it can any different than buying the DLC off the market place. I have the Fallout 3 GOTY for 360, it just comes with an extra disc to install the DLC packs. And its probably cheaper than buying all 5 (I think) packs separate off the PSN.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @davidwitten22:  Thats not so bad then, a hold is fairly common on alot of things.  I suggest buying those scratch card deals. I've never liked putting my CC info onto a console.  If you were also looking to get all the DLC for Fallout, you might want to look at just buying the GOTY. I doubt it can any different than buying the DLC off the market place. I have the Fallout 3 GOTY for 360, it just comes with an extra disc to install the DLC packs. And its probably cheaper than buying all 5 (I think) packs separate off the PSN. "
    Since I already have Fallout 3, the GOTY would be $6 more expensive to have at the end of it all. But since I'm getting discounted PSN cards buying them seperately is even cheaper.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    I already bought Fallout3, and supposedly the goty for PS3 is super bugged. Bugged beyond the ability to play. "
    The DLC for Fallout 3 for PS3 is shit. PL Crashes every 10 mins. 
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By trophyhunter

never had a problem buying stuff from PSN

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By davidwitten22
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    I already bought Fallout3, and supposedly the goty for PS3 is super bugged. Bugged beyond the ability to play. "
    The DLC for Fallout 3 for PS3 is shit. PL Crashes every 10 mins.  "
    Which ones work? I'm planning on picking and choosing the ones that actually play somewhat good. Broken Steel is my first choice.
    BirdyTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By BirdyTheMighty

I ran into this problem a while ago.   
    The reason that I couldn't buy anything was because I tried using a card that I had taken off my account.  I guess it's for security reasons but once you take your card off your account information, that card is invalid.  And the $1 charge thing is just security too.  Paypal, Amazon and a bunch of other sites use it to make sure the card is legit. 
    Best bet is to just go the PSN gift card thingys.  Better to deal with.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    Which ones work? I'm planning on picking and choosing the ones that actually play somewhat good. Broken Steel is my first choice. "
    Broken steel works. AO had one freeze on me. But it caught up after I waited a few moments. PL was SHIT!. And the other..uhh...cant recall the name. Was fine. 
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TotalEklypse

i had this problem back in the day. usually the problem lies with the address associated with the card. such as i live in a suburb of milwaukee and it would not take the actual sub name. i had to use the county name (milwaukee) and also had to write it perfectly as it appears on my bill.  that was before the psn cards lol.  i did finally get it to take mine after about 20 trys.. never had them try and hold any of my moneys though. i find that kinda goofy. 

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By davidwitten22
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    Which ones work? I'm planning on picking and choosing the ones that actually play somewhat good. Broken Steel is my first choice. "
    Broken steel works. AO had one freeze on me. But it caught up after I waited a few moments. PL was SHIT!. And the other..uhh...cant recall the name. Was fine.  "
    Thank you. And damn, Point Lookout was the one I wanted the most! Guess it's good that I've already seen most of it played.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    Broken steel works. AO had one freeze on me. But it caught up after I waited a few moments. PL was SHIT!. And the other..uhh...cant recall the name. Was fine.  "
    Thank you. And damn, Point Lookout was the one I wanted the most! Guess it's good that I've already seen most of it played. "
    I got ALL the trophies. The game for PL froze about every 10 mins. Beth only said" well once and a wile pause the game and wait 20 mins" I told them off. And let them know what I thought of their crapping on their PS3 customers. 
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @davidwitten22 said:

" @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    i bought goty after i got broken steel, and i made out ok, i didn't want to pay full price on psn
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Well the TC sounds like a troll to me as I have never experienced any sort of related problem with PSN or XBL.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vonocourt

Cause if  ISuperGamerI never had a problem, then there is no possibility of one happening. Fact.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By yakov456

No problems here.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By davidwitten22
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    Thank you. And damn, Point Lookout was the one I wanted the most! Guess it's good that I've already seen most of it played. "
    I got ALL the trophies. The game for PL froze about every 10 mins. Beth only said" well once and a wile pause the game and wait 20 mins" I told them off. And let them know what I thought of their crapping on their PS3 customers.  "
    You should look at their forums, just pages and pages of PS3 owners pissed at their GOTY edition.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    I got ALL the trophies. The game for PL froze about every 10 mins. Beth only said" well once and a wile pause the game and wait 20 mins" I told them off. And let them know what I thought of their crapping on their PS3 customers.  "
    You should look at their forums, just pages and pages of PS3 owners pissed at their GOTY edition. "
    I was one of them. I used to go there but left after they dropped support for Oblivion and fallout 3. 
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By davidwitten22
    @ISuperGamerI said:
    " Well the TC sounds like a troll to me as I have never experienced any sort of related problem with PSN or XBL. "
    yeah i'm totally trolling i like to insult the only system i own. I do it all the time I'm always trolling. it's not like someone could possibly have a different experience than you.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

The PS3 is way simpler then the 360 I found. First boot up the 360 was infuriating.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By davidwitten22

Btw, the website I used to buy a $25 PSN card for $14 totally worked.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:
    " Well the TC sounds like a troll to me as I have never experienced any sort of related problem with PSN or XBL. "
    yeah i'm totally trolling i like to insult the only system i own. I do it all the time I'm always trolling. it's not like someone could possibly have a different experience than you. "
    Why would they not authorize your credit card but then charge you $1 for every transaction? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spoonman671

I've never had a problem with PSN's payment system.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spoonman671
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " Btw, the website I used to buy a $25 PSN card for $14 totally worked. "
    And this website that basically gives you $11 for nothing is?  It sounds like a pretty nice deal to me.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By TheGreatGuero

They charged you $1 each time THEIR online system failed? Dude! Do it like 100 times and then take them to court!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ch13696
    @davidwitten22: I don't know if anyone solved your problem yet, but I ran into the same situation. Turns out the entire street address goes onto the first line. I lived in an apartment at the time and I kept putting my apartment number on a separate line.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By davidwitten22
    @ISuperGamerI said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:
    yeah i'm totally trolling i like to insult the only system i own. I do it all the time I'm always trolling. it's not like someone could possibly have a different experience than you. "
    Why would they not authorize your credit card but then charge you $1 for every transaction? That makes absolutely no sense at all. "
    I know. That was my issue. It's technically only a "hold' on my bank statement for the moment and I don't think it'll ever actually be taken out. If it does though, then there will be a real problem. 

@Spoonman671: The site is psncard.org. It looks totally sketch but it actually worked for me. If you don't believe me I would understand because I wouldn't believe someone about this same thing either haha. 

@ch13696: Yeah I just live in a house and I had it all on one line. It could be my bank, or my card, but they were able to hold a dollar for each attempt so they obviously found my card to charge me that, but yeah. Still wouldn't let me use it to purchase. PSN cards for me!
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I have the exact same problem, only with Microsoft. I have no idea why, but they absolutely refuse to take my card. Tried it on the 360, tried it through their website, tried old address information, nothing works.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By canucks23

i've never had a problem with cc information or any money-ish problems on psn. Shitty luck, but the psn cards work fine.

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Sepultallica86

I found the original Fallout 3 game for Ps3 the bug once and a while, but the game was awesome, and yeah, I`m going to buy the DLC soon.
    I find the PSN Store similar to Ebay when looking for real precise things, but they should streamline it more, and now I have PSN Plus, so hopefully things tend to get better.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spoonman671
    @davidwitten22:   You're right, it is really sketchy looking, but I guess there isn't really much risk with PayPal.  I'll give it a try for the next downloadable title I buy.  Thanks for the info.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @davidwitten22:   You're right, it is really sketchy looking, but I guess there isn't really much risk with PayPal.  I'll give it a try for the next downloadable title I buy.  Thanks for the info. "
    it doesn't put the money on your account, it just gives you a new account. Start your downloads on there and then switch back to your old account. I'll probably only use this service when I already know I'm gonna spend all the money in my wallet.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#39  Edited By tearhead
    @davidwitten22: 
    I had a similar problem where PSN was not accepting my credit card. You have to enter the information EXACTLY as it appears on your bank statement (case sensitive).
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikkaQ

That's completely weird. I've always found PS3's purchasing system a little odd, with making you put money in the wallet, and then charging the wallet the amount of the game. It seems like an unnecessary step, but it beats the hell out of microsoft points. It worked in 2005, but I dunno if a points based system should really exist anymore. Then again, I maybe biased because I've since got a credit card in those last 5 years, but still I can't imagine how much money I've lost due to MS points. 

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By AlwaysAngry

SONY probably hates your avatar as much as I do.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By Demyx

I used a Debit Card to buy Fallout DLC with no problems

@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @davidwitten22 said:

" @davidwitten22 said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:

Point Lookout worked fine for me. I dl'ed it from the PSN store though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.